Stanford GSE

day_manderly

Is anyone applying to Stanford GSE? I've checked the results from previous years, and I've found out the following:

• looks like you need 160+ GRE for both V and Q, and at least 5 AWA
  • they don't do interviews, just straight admits

Also, is anyone attending SGSE now? I am interested in International Higher Education. Do you happen to know whether any of the professors is doing research in this area? According to my research, if anything international is done, it's in the domain of secondary education. Is that correct?

• 4 weeks later...

I am also applying to Stanford GSE (ICE). It does look like those accepted have high GRE scores. I am interested in International Education in the realm of secondary education so I am not sure if there are professors doing research particular to higher ed, but it looks like there are five-six faculty members dedicated to ICE/IEPA (https://ed.stanford.edu/ice/faculty/icefaculty) and then other additional faculty members with interests in ICE. 

On 17/10/2016 at 6:45 AM, cokpala said:

I am also applying to Stanford GSE (ICE). It does look like those accepted have high GRE scores. I am interested in International Education in the realm of secondary education so I am not sure if there are professors doing research particular to higher ed, but it looks like there are five-six faculty members dedicated to ICE/IEPA (https://ed.stanford.edu/ice/faculty/icefaculty) and then other additional faculty members with interests in ICE. 

Yes, I've actually contacted a professor - to no avail.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I have applied. For SHIPS Education Policy. My Maths GRE score was 158 which I wasn't overly happy with, but since my verbal was 165 and analytical 5.5 I figured it was still worth giving it a shot, though I am kind of expecting to be rejecting based on the stats for admission.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, SebsHQ said:

When in February are we thinking we'll hear for Masters admissions?

It actually looks from the results page that masters decisions tend to go out at the beginning of March. PhD decisions go out around mid-February and I saw the odd MA rejection around that time too (it could be programme dependent). But It would seem that early March is when you're likely to hear.

21 hours ago, forgetful26 said:

Hello all, I wanted to ask if you have the option to submit official documents (transcripts) available on your application?  But I wanted to check if everyone has such option available?

I thought they only wanted copies of them on the application. But I also have that request and it will cost me almost 200 dollars plus I still have to contact all my universities and get the transcripts sent. I went through this whole process for Upenn and even emailed Stanford to ask if they wanted me to send my evaluation to them but they said no. Also the email I originally received from them to acknowledge my application stated:

2.    Applications submitted with unofficial, uploaded transcripts will be considered as complete.  Only admitted applicants will be contacted with instructions for sending official transcripts.

There is simply no way my documents will get to the evaluation service and then on to Stanford before their mid-february decision deadline. So I am now really worried that this means my application is void - I have emailed the admissions office to check though.

Edited by mjl89

On 01/02/2017 at 9:16 PM, Reif said:

I also got this "official document request" as well. Should I order the official transcript now so that I may have the chance to get admitted? Please help.

According to the results page this has happened to lots of people but we don't need to send the documents. It's something to do with the webapply system not Stanford apparently.

Hey guys! @hopefulPhD2017 mentioned on the Fall 2017 acceptances/etc thread that things on this thread are eerily quiet, but decisions will probably start coming out next week, I think! There are two PhD interviews on the results board (one is mine; happy to answer questions via pm), and it seems that interviews are based on the POI instead of being program-wide (so no interview isn't necessarily a bad thing like it could be for schools that usually interview, like HGSE or Vandy). Past years' results indicate letting students know about most PhD admissions decisions between Feb 6-12, and since next week is Feb 6-10, I'm going to hazard a guess that Friday, Feb 10 is when the first wave will go out. Good luck everyone!

31 minutes ago, forgetful26 said:

Did anyone here get in touch with a professor before submitting their application? 

I did! I emailed one POI, and his admin assistant ended up responding. 

24 minutes ago, hopefulPhD2017 said:

SHIPS & RILE

I did not attempt POI contact, something I now regret. @forgetful26 How about you?

no need for regrets.  I attempted POI contact at all 10 schools that I applied to last year, and the majority of those (that includes Stanford) never bothered getting back to me. :P 

21 minutes ago, nm2016 said:

no need for regrets.  I attempted POI contact at all 10 schools that I applied to last year, and the majority of those (that includes Stanford) never bothered getting back to me. :P 

Thanks for the reassurance :) Which program are you in now? @nm2016

@higheredbee ooh, I'd rather not say, sorry! the doctoral cohorts at the gse are very small and I would probably identify myself :P but happy to take random non-identifying questions if you have any... nice to meet you all! and best of luck these next few weeks as the (hopefully) acceptance letters begin rolling in!