Stanford GSE

day_manderly

Hi everyone. I'm considering applying to this program next year (specifically LSTD). I've read through this thread - congrats to everyone who got in! Do you have any suggestions for someone looking to apply? My current GRE scores are 163 Q, 159 V and 5 on writing. Maybe a tad low? But I'd be coming with a Masters under my belt already so that might help. 

Did you have really specific research ideas when applying? I have a general theme of what I'd want to research but don't know exactly what details of it I would research. 

Also, who contacted professors ahead of time? How did you do this? Did you get a chance to meet them in person?

Thanks so much in advance for any info and tips. ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2017 at 11:56 PM, CSmeow said:

Hi everyone. I'm considering applying to this program next year (specifically LSTD). I've read through this thread - congrats to everyone who got in! Do you have any suggestions for someone looking to apply? My current GRE scores are 163 Q, 159 V and 5 on writing. Maybe a tad low? But I'd be coming with a Masters under my belt already so that might help. 

Did you have really specific research ideas when applying? I have a general theme of what I'd want to research but don't know exactly what details of it I would research. 

Also, who contacted professors ahead of time? How did you do this? Did you get a chance to meet them in person?

Thanks so much in advance for any info and tips. ?

hey,

just wanted to chime in and say that I got into the MA program with a V 163 , Q 155, 5 on writing so you might be fine! Stanford seems to be a lot more holistic than other schools 

Hi guys! I am an international student and I got waitlisted for ICE on March 2nd. However, because I've applied through a scholarship and contact is through a designated spokesperson, I don't have access to the email. Could anyone guide me in this regard (maybe copy/paste the content of the email here, if possible)? When are we expecting the waitlist to be processed? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/31/2017 at 10:23 PM, 525,600min said:

hey,

just wanted to chime in and say that I got into the MA program with a V 163 , Q 155, 5 on writing so you might be fine! Stanford seems to be a lot more holistic than other schools 

Thanks so much for the info!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
3 hours ago, ohrice said:

It looks like someone got waitlisted via email for the SHIPS program. I suppose that means everyone else has been rejected?

That's my assumption, too...

7 hours ago, NAhmad said:

I just got waitlisted for RILE. Does anyone know how many people they admitted this year? And what the chances are of getting in after you've been waitlisted? I feel like waiting until April 15th to hear back is a bad idea since most other programs require an answer by then.

@NAhmad I had a friend who applied last year (she got rejected). She was quite close with a lot of the Ph.D. students there and told me that, while the GSE lauds RILE as one of the most popular programs, there aren't actually a lot of people who are accepted into RILE directly. She was told by Ph.D. students that many people actually transferred into RILE from other programs. So, with that being said, I would assume that most anyone who gets in would most definitely attend?  

• 2 weeks later...