Hey all, 

Didn't see a thread for this so maybe it's not a busy application year (ha) but I could use some commiseratin'. 

Applying to the MPhil Public Policy program and really, really struggling with word count. The box in the initial application (haven't submitted yet - will submit follow up application with all documents after) limits you to 2,500 characters which they say is 500 words. I just got mine to fit, and it's exactly 400 words. That's so much less than I was anticipating and now I'm worried that I've sucked the life out of my essay. 

Anyone else struggling with this? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey you seem lonely here! Has there been any duplicate threads on this? Yeah I struggled with the word count -- I think the character limit is 3,000 though, right? I'm guessing the 3,000 = ~500 words is based on conversational speech, and not the bombastic words we like to throw into these essays and impress reviewers.

I also had a question - does the Gates committee review other parts of our application besides the designated gates statement? It would certainly be helpful abridging portions of the statement if I know they'll see the information in other places on my app

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I just posted this in a new topic because I hadn't seen this stuff: 

In answer to your question, sat0ri, I seem to remember seeing somewhere that they review the whole application, but I can't find that anymore (or remember where I saw it)! Did you figure it out? I was wondering that too.

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2016 at 2:23 PM, gowes93 said:

Hey all,

I just posted this in a new topic because I hadn't seen this stuff: 

In answer to your question, sat0ri, I seem to remember seeing somewhere that they review the whole application, but I can't find that anymore (or remember where I saw it)! Did you figure it out? I was wondering that too.

Ok I'll go over to that thread so there's not multiple threads