What exactly are "competitive" GRE scores for Communication phd?

DBear

Hi all,

I keep seeing similar things on admissions websites regarding GRE scores, mostly along the lines that applicants should have a verbal score above 160, GRE is not the determining factor but scores should be competitive, yadayada... 

Though schools must all have different criteria, after reading site after site of rather vague GRE requirements I don't know whether I should be satisfied with my scores or not. 

I've taken the test twice. First attempt yielded 163 (v) , 143 (q), 5(awa). Second time around got 165(v), 149( q) writing not yet available. I'm not applying to any programs that are quant analysis heavy and people have told me my scores should be fine, but still a bit nervous. 

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Not sure it makes a difference but I'm an int'l student (TOEFL score is 120) and have 2 MA degrees (though neither is in Communication studies)

Best of luck!

Edited by DBear

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, ejpril88 said:

I think it all depends on the other candidate's scores, but I would say your scores are pretty darn good :) I got 109 on TOEFL, 154 on Verbal, 154 on Quant and 4.5 on AWA.

Thank you! For the life of me I couldn't get past the 150 mark for quant... My GPA isn't stellar and there's absolutely nothing I can do about that... So have resorted to worrying about everything else lol Good luck!

Thanks, good luck to you too! It would be great if we could both manage to get into Madison, that way I would know at least one person (online, but that's better than nothing, right?) :) Right now I feel so lonely in all this.

I think your scores are pretty competitive. I think Communication Studies is much more about fit than anything, so as long as your scores aren't a big red flag (they're not-- your verbal is awesome and your quant is just fine, especially for someone looking at more qualitative programs), I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Edited by heyDW
incorrect usage of "your"...d'oy.