Fall 2010 application season Chem responses

Steph<3Chem

I (finally) got accepted to UT Austin today - though their visitation weekends aren't my favorites (2/19-20 and 3/12-13). The first is already when I'm going to CalTech, and Harvard's only published visitation weekend on its website is 3/11-12. If I do get accepted there, it's definitely somewhere I'd want to visit. Hmm... any thoughts?

I (finally) got accepted to UT Austin today - though their visitation weekends aren't my favorites (2/19-20 and 3/12-13). The first is already when I'm going to CalTech, and Harvard's only published visitation weekend on its website is 3/11-12. If I do get accepted there, it's definitely somewhere I'd want to visit. Hmm... any thoughts?

Just email and say that weekend doesn't work for you; ask if you can come at any other time (suggest a few possibilities). Note that in order to visit at an unusual time, you generally have to go on a weekday, when everyone's around.

In at Emory and Johns Hopkins. Out at Princeton.

Still on the fence for UPenn, UNC-CH, BU, MIT, Harvard.

Anyone hear back from Penn or UNC yet?

When did you submit your application to Johns Hopkins? I submitted mine very close to the deadline, which was just over a week ago, and I haven't heard anything yet. (i.e. Do you think they have rolling admissions, or is this not a good sign?)

Heard back from Chicago (in), Emory (in), and Princeton (not in). Still waiting on Harvard, MIT, Columbia, BC, BU, Penn, Berkeley, Cal Tech, and Scripps. For anyone who has heard from Scripps are you in already or do you have to go for a final interview like it says on their website?

Qualified applicants will be invited to visit the campus of admission for a personal interview; however, some interviews can be arranged at distant locations. Final selections will be made following the personal interview.

I'm applying for synthetic organic chemistry btw.

When did you submit your application to Johns Hopkins? I submitted mine very close to the deadline, which was just over a week ago, and I haven't heard anything yet. (i.e. Do you think they have rolling admissions, or is this not a good sign?)

Submitted JHU in the beginning-middle of December. I would assume most programs are rolling... can't say for sure, though.

Heard back from Chicago (in), Emory (in), and Princeton (not in). Still waiting on Harvard, MIT, Columbia, BC, BU, Penn, Berkeley, Cal Tech, and Scripps. For anyone who has heard from Scripps are you in already or do you have to go for a final interview like it says on their website?

I'm applying for synthetic organic chemistry btw.

I recieved an offer to "interview" at both Scripps Florida (1/21) via e-mail and Scripps California (1/4 I believe?) via a phone call. A friend of mine interviewed and was accepted there last year and according to her, if you receive an interview it seems as though you are pretty much garanteed acceptance. I applied to Chemical Biology by the way.

Scripps Florida (Chemical Biology)- Interview

Scripps California (Chemical Biology)- Interview

UMichigan (Medicinal Chemistry)-Interview

UNorth Carolina (BBSP)- Interview

UIllinois Urbana-Champagne-Accepted

Waiting-

UPenn (Chemistry)

Yale (Chemical Biology)

Duke (Chemistry)

Purdue (Medicinal Chemistry)

Hi!

So I applied to:

Cornell

Yale

UNC-CH

Dartmouth

RPI

I have heard back postively from UNC-CH by mail on 1/23. Have not yet received stipend info and visitation weekend dates. Anyone who got in UNC-CH, how long did it take to get that info after you got the acceptance letter? And if what was the stipend and dates, if you don't mind sharing?

Still waiting on the others, though don't really care about Dartmouth and RPI now since they were safety schools anyway. It looks like no one else has heard from Cornell or Yale yet?

Scripps Florida (Chemical Biology)- Interview

Scripps California (Chemical Biology)- Interview

UMichigan (Medicinal Chemistry)-Interview

UNorth Carolina (BBSP)- Interview

UIllinois Urbana-Champagne-Accepted

Waiting-

UPenn (Chemistry)

Yale (Chemical Biology)

Duke (Chemistry)

Purdue (Medicinal Chemistry)

When is your UMichigan interview? I just heard back from the yesterday and the interview weekend isn't set until March 4-7 which seems really late. I applied to Vanderbilt at the same time and have already been out to interview.

When is your UMichigan interview? I just heard back from the yesterday and the interview weekend isn't set until March 4-7 which seems really late. I applied to Vanderbilt at the same time and have already been out to interview.

My interview weekend for Michigan is February 4-7. It's for the Medicinal Chemistry program, which is almost totally separate from their Chemistry program which may have different dates.

Hello all,

I am an international candidate and I have just been accepted into the Chemistry program at Univ Washington, Seattle. I am mostly interested in Synthetic org chem with also some biology involved. So, basically an overlap of Organic and chemical biology.

Since I don't have an idea of how this university is perceived inside US, do you think its any good accepting the offer, or should I wait for other univs where I have applied. Like UTAustin, UNC, Stony Brook, WUSTL, UPenn?

Please let me know if the ranking of a university matters at the end of your Ph.D., or the most important criteria should be the professor I will get to work with, irrespective of the univ's ranking.

I'll be thankful for any advice.