Letter of recommendation from current employer - navigating conflicting interests

plddp

Has anyone else had the experience of applying to grad school from an existing policy role, wanting to switch or broaden policy focus, but also relying on a letter from a current employer who does not want you to leave? I'm worried that my personal statement will imply that I want to eventually leave the organisation and that this might induce a less positive letter or weaken my relationship with my letter writer if I do return to my current role after study or in case I am unsuccessful in my applications.

I've spoken to the letter writer and explained the divergence between my interests and the work that the organisation does, but she (very persuasively) made an argument that I could apply my interests while remaining in the organisation. But on reflection, I'm less convinced, and while I've given a shout-out to her ideas in my personal statement, I didn't want to limit my personal statement to the application of my interests to my current organisation. I'll have to send my letter writer my personal statement soon so she can get started on the letter, but was hoping for any advice on how to deal with the situation.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by plddp

In your situation, I would try not to give the letter writer a copy of your personal statement. Instead, I'd prepare a summary of work achievements and skills you've acquired/used you'd like her to highlight in her letter so that she can focus on those in your application. That said, if your personal statement implies that you don't want work at that organization, why not revise/update/edit your personal statement so it doesn't do that?

I second rising_star's suggestion. If your letter writer does want to see an actual statement though you can then send them an "example statement" and explain that you'll tailor each statement slightly for each school. In the "example statement", remove anything you don't want your letter writer to see. 

You say that you are worried about your letter writer seeing your statement and that damaging your relationship. But have you considered that your letter writer may write in their letter that they look forward to you continuing in their organization with what they learn? And if your statement doesn't reflect that, wouldn't it raise a flag for the admissions committee?