Are the programs to which I plan to apply too prestigious?

musiklehrer

I am applying at the following schools:

MICHIGAN

MICHIGAN STATE

FLORIDA STATE

LOUISIANA STATE

INDIANA

UT AUSTIN

NORTH TEXAS

COLUMBUS STATE

and my undergrad institution, a smaller state school in the southeast

I'm going for a MM in Conducting. My undergrad GPA is 3.62, I have six years of teaching experience.

Should I only pick one or two of the more prestigious programs and instead apply for a lot more realistic options? I really don't have a chance at any of these schools. 

EDIT - I must let you know that I have no faith in my abilities and I know that my efforts in applying for any school of any level are perfectly futile, but it won't be said that I didn't try, even though I know for a FACT that I will fail. 

Edited by musiklehrer

That's a very discouraging premise you're starting with Lehrer!

The schools you listed are not anywhere among the most prestigious - and you are also missing the entire east coast.

What part of your undergraduate training +6 years of teaching makes you feel you are so unprepared?

On 10/2/2016 at 10:58 PM, HelloThisIsDog said:

That's a very discouraging premise you're starting with Lehrer!

The schools you listed are not anywhere among the most prestigious - and you are also missing the entire east coast.

What part of your undergraduate training +6 years of teaching makes you feel you are so unprepared?

It's a very realistic premise. 

The eight universities I listed by name are all the most prestigious schools in the country for my discipline (with the possible exception of Northwestern). 

These are programs for which HUNDREDS of candidates apply each year and at which there are only two to six open positions for graduate students - and the assistantships all go to doctoral candidates first.

>>>>>>>>>>What part of your undergraduate training +6 years of teaching makes you feel you are so unprepared?

I have only taught at Title I, very underfunded schools. And the candidates who get into these programs are all teachers at very high-performing schools. Also the school ensembles I conduct are not ideal for making conducting videos, and I have to submit videos of my teaching and conducting. 

I would literally do anything to get into one of the abovementioned universities. I'm thinking about giving up at this point. 

• 5 months later...
On 10/6/2016 at 11:28 AM, musiklehrer said:

It's a very realistic premise. 

The eight universities I listed by name are all the most prestigious schools in the country for my discipline (with the possible exception of Northwestern). 

These are programs for which HUNDREDS of candidates apply each year and at which there are only two to six open positions for graduate students - and the assistantships all go to doctoral candidates first.

>>>>>>>>>>What part of your undergraduate training +6 years of teaching makes you feel you are so unprepared?

I have only taught at Title I, very underfunded schools. And the candidates who get into these programs are all teachers at very high-performing schools. Also the school ensembles I conduct are not ideal for making conducting videos, and I have to submit videos of my teaching and conducting. 

I would literally do anything to get into one of the abovementioned universities. I'm thinking about giving up at this point. 

I'm curious to see how things have gone for you if you don't mind providing an update.