2017 Rangel & Pickering Fellowships

Olgraves

I am anxiously awaiting to hear about the finalist decisions for the Rangel fellowship and looking forward to starting my Pickering fellowship application. Is anyone else in the same boat? 

I am nervous because I think my background is slightly "untraditional" (if there is such a thing) because I've been working in the private sector doing management consulting for the past two years. 

Hey, just so you know there's another topic on this from earlier that's pretty popular:

But as for you coming from a different background, I wouldn't say that's true! Most fellows have worked for one or two or more years before being accepted, and they've worked in various different fields or places. I would think that you would have just as much of a chance as anyone else, and probably more because of your experience in the professional realm which will really help with the interview stage!

Edited by mrs12

I'll add to mrs12 that there's another thread and also that I think more applicants than you might think are on the 'untraditional' track.

I've been out of school for three years myself - working a boring job and doing a Fulbright - on top of having graduated as a non-traditional age student from undergrad (at the age of 28!). One of the previous Fulbrighters from my country is a Rangel this year and he was working for a year before being accepted. :) I would say you've got a lot less to be nervous about! 

Edited by nsnotable