Library Science and an MA in History?

anfocloir

On 10/24/2016 at 4:22 PM, anfocloir said:

I live in the NJ/NYC area, so I'm focusing in on schools (NYU, Rutgers) in those areas where I know internship opportunities/professional experiences are more abundant. Unless the NYC area is not seen as something with a number of opportunities available? (I'm not sure of what the opportunities for internships are like for other schools. I'm also considering UNC-Chapel Hill and Simmons). I also currently work in a corporate archive, so I already have some experience under my belt. I'm asking about accreditation because I figure nowadays, an accredited master's degree is more essential than it's ever been in this particular field and I want to be sure that the degree I'm applying for satisfies what prospective employers for jobs and internships are going to prioritize. 

I echo your statement though: experience is key, especially in this field which is so hands-on in the first place. 

Are you also looking into Archives/MLS programs? If so, where are you looking to apply? It helps to hear from other prospective applicants!

Like the person above me, I too get local job and internship notifications. They come from the coordinator for my undergraduate archival program. 

Though I'm primarily going for the PhD, I do have two programs on my list that allow PhD students to get an MLIS! University of Michigan is one of them.

Edited by NoirFemme

On 10/25/2016 at 11:38 PM, NoirFemme said:

Like the person above me, I too get local job and internship notifications. They come from the coordinator for my undergraduate archival program. 

Though I'm primarily going for the PhD, I do have two programs on my list that allow PhD students to get an MLIS! University of Michigan is one of them.

I looked into UMich's program. It's a well known program! Are you going for your PhD in Archival studies and MLIS? Or History and MLIS?

17 hours ago, anfocloir said:

I looked into UMich's program. It's a well known program! Are you going for your PhD in Archival studies and MLIS? Or History and MLIS?

I'm hoping to do PhD in American Culture+MLIS if UMich accepts me (and I decide it's the best fit). ;-)