Foundation Directory?

Caryatid236

Hi All,

I'm searching for additional funding as a U.S. Citizen in a Canadian doctoral program (Interdisciplinary Humanities). I'm trying to find smaller scholarships that are available through charitable foundations or trusts. I have run across a ton of foundation directories for the UK and some other countries, but haven't been able to find anything terribly useful for the US or CA. Anyone know some good places to look for this kind of thing? Or, alternatively, some good scholarships for me to look into? (I'm applying for OSG, inelligible for SSRHC because I'm not a CA citizen, missed the deadline for Fulbright this year- I applied and started my program very late in the game so now I'm playing catch-up). 

Thanks in advance for any help! 

Is your school in Ontario? If so, have you added the OGS (Ontario Graduate Scholarship) to your list?

In general, for the US and Canada, the number of fellowships that everyone would be eligible for are small. It's just a half-dozen or so major fellowships. By "major" fellowships, I mean things that will fund most or all of your stipend (i.e. awards at the $15,000 level or higher). So, there isn't a  need for a directory for these.

There are a larger number of small fellowships though, that fund at the few thousand dollar level. Usually these are very specific---only for certain topics, fields, or work at specific sites or requiring an affiliation with a specific institution or organization. Because the number of people that are eligible for each fellowship would be pretty small, there isn't a directory (as far as I know) because the majority of the directory would not be useful. 

Instead, from my experience in both Canada and the US, the best source of fellowship information is from your own department. Organizations that wish to fund students generally email the admin staff for each department and then the department forwards them to their students. You'll likely see more chances and opportunities once you begin your program. In addition, the national organization for your field of study often compiles relevant fellowships and also emails them to their members. I would recommend joining your field's national society in Canada (and also the US if you want to maintain ties there).

Finally, one other source of funding that you might want to know about is Mitacs (https://www.mitacs.ca). In particular, they have an "Accelerate" program for graduate students. You can read more about it here: https://www.mitacs.ca/en/programs/accelerate. Mitacs is not a field-specific organization. Instead of funding for a specific field, their priority is to foster connections between research and industry. I don't know what you will be studying/working on so I don't know if this is relevant for you. But take a look at their Accelerate program and see if it's a good fit :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay (first year coursework, ugh), but thank you so much for your help! OGS application is required by my program, so I have done that. As an international student I am ineligible for SSHRC but I think I may be able to apply for Vanier next year. I will certainly look into Mitacs as well!