Consult for choosing the right MA program

Chong0318

Since no interest in going too deep in the academic field, I am seeking a standalone MA program for culture anthropology. My planning is after MA graduation to work for NGO or continue my own small business. Well, mainly two questions to consult:

First, there are many schools offer the MA program in "applied culture anthropology", but I do not have much idea about the difference between culture anthropology and applied culture anthropology. The applied anthropology is more focus on how to use the anthropology theory to solve real world problem? Maybe it is more suitable for me, as I am not pursuing the PhD after.

Second question is about the faculty studying preference. Some people say for PhD program it is important and necessary to match your mentor's area, but for MA it is not as important as PhD, because MA is somehow teaching the general methodology and theory. I am from East Asian, so when I choose schools, should I look for some schools which prefer studying in this geography area or it does not matter so much where they geographically focus on? Or if maybe it matters, but actually differs from university to university?

Thank you for all your help! 

Chong

Edited by Chong0318

Well, I do not know why I cannot edit my words up, so to continue here. In other words, the question maybe in a MA program, how much should my study interest meet the faculty members? As I find that in some schools the curriculum, the courses,  are good for me, but the faculty members study areas may not so sure. So, can I conclude that maybe in the level of MA, the match of curriculum to my interest is more important than mentors? Is this similar to the difference between coursework MA and research MA?

Edited by Chong0318

You're right. The applied anthropology field is using anthropological theories and framework to solve real world problems. I just started my MA program and it's an Applied Anthropology MA program, but my focus is bioarchaeology, so slightly different. It really all depends on what in anthropology you are interested in. Our faculty interests range in topics, as do many other programs. So it's best to narrow down what exactly in cultural anthropology you're interested in.

On 10/8/2016 at 1:04 AM, bioarch_fan said:

You're right. The applied anthropology field is using anthropological theories and framework to solve real world problems. I just started my MA program and it's an Applied Anthropology MA program, but my focus is bioarchaeology, so slightly different. It really all depends on what in anthropology you are interested in. Our faculty interests range in topics, as do many other programs. So it's best to narrow down what exactly in cultural anthropology you're interested in.

yeah, thanks your advise. my interests are in tourism, environmental anth, immigration and visual.

On 10/9/2016 at 5:18 AM, Chong0318 said:

yeah, thanks your advise. my interests are in tourism, environmental anth, immigration and visual.

Well if you're interested in tourism and environmental anthropology, then you should look at Mississippi State University and look directly into David Hoffman. He works in Latin America looking at both tourism and environmental anthropology in the region, specifically Costa Rica. So it might be a good opportunity to look into. Plus a lot of our students are funded, usually they won't accept anyone that they can't fund.

2 hours ago, bioarch_fan said:

Well if you're interested in tourism and environmental anthropology, then you should look at Mississippi State University and look directly into David Hoffman. He works in Latin America looking at both tourism and environmental anthropology in the region, specifically Costa Rica. So it might be a good opportunity to look into. Plus a lot of our students are funded, usually they won't accept anyone that they can't fund.

Actually Mississippi State is already in my applying list, with founding will be great. By the way, the professor works in Latin America, but I do not speak any Spanish. Is that will be a problem for applying? 

1 hour ago, Chong0318 said:

Actually Mississippi State is already in my applying list, with founding will be great. By the way, the professor works in Latin America, but I do not speak any Spanish. Is that will be a problem for applying? 

The only problem would be if you want to work in Latin America. Depending on your specific region of interest, I would suggest learning that language. I believe David Hoffman could still advise you on tourism and environmental anthropology even if it's not in Latin America, but I would suggest contacting him before applying. He's currently on sabbatical this year, but should still be accessible via email since his sabbatical is strictly in the US.

Are you interested in environmental anthropology? If so, you might be interested in this:

Students interested in pursuing graduate study in environmental anthropology are encouraged to apply to Northern Illinois University’s Master’s degree program in Anthropology, with supervision by Dr. Emily McKee.  Through cooperation between the Anthropology Department and the Institute for the Study of the Environment, Sustainability, and Energy (ESE), one graduate teaching assistantship is available for an excellent Anthropology MA candidate with an environmental focus.   

Within a well-rounded four-field program, NIU’s Anthropology Department offers a wealth of expertise in environmental anthropology across the subfields, including faculty research in climate change, industrial agriculture, high altitude adaptation, environmental justice, resource conflicts, and sustainability and conservation (http://www.niu.edu/anthro/faculty_staff/faculty/index.shtml).  Rich opportunities for interdisciplinary environmental research are available through ESE (http://www.niu.edu/ese/about/faculty_staff.shtml).  

A summary of Dr. McKee’s research agenda can be found here, http://www.niu.edu/anthro/faculty_staff/faculty/ekmckee.shtml.  Information on the Anthropology graduate program, including program requirements, financial aid options, and assistantships, can be found here, http://niu.edu/anthro/graduate/index.shtml.  For more information, please contact Emily McKee