Profile Evalualtion - MS in Data Science

Tanul

Hi,

I'm a Mechie by qualification, BA by profession looking for a ML transition.  Owing to my diverse background I've realized that if I want to get close to the ML space, rooting for MS in data science is my best bet.

Profile - 

• Mech Engg;   CGPA: 7.44/10 (~3.2/4)
  • GRE: 323 (159V; 164Q; 3.5AWA)
  • 3 years of relevant work ex in Data analytics 
  • ML research project at a leading Space Tech firm
  • Reccos: 2 from the work and project ex (good); 1 from coll dept prof (moderate)

Need help in bucketing the following universities for MS in Data Science into Safe/Moderate/Ambitious - 

1. NYU 
  2. Columbia 
  3. UWashington 
  4. U British Columbia
  5. NW MS in Analytics

Thanks! and any other university/course suggestions would be appreciated! (if I have better chances in any of those - great!)

Hello, Tanul,

Your GPA is your weak point. I am sure you know that already and you do not need me to point it out. However, as you have three years work experience in Data Analytics, they might be willing to overlook the low GPA. Coming to your GRE score, they are not good enough for Columbia and NYU. You will need at least a 90th percentile in both sections of the GRE to get the admission committee's attention or at least a high 90th percentile score on the Quantitative section. Your Quantitative score (164) is about 86 - 87th percentile in 2016 and would not impress the committee. Your verbal score is around the 82nd percentile point, and that is no screamer either.

Maybe drop NYU and Columbia and try for the rest. If you are fixed on those two, take the GRE again and score >160 verbal and >=166 on quantitative and no less than a 4.5 on the AWA section. That sure will make the members of the committee think twice before rejecting you. I am sorry to say it, but at this point, you do not have a chance to get into NYU or Columbia. 

On 10/7/2016 at 4:04 PM, Tanul said:

Thanks! and any other university/course suggestions would be appreciated! (if I have better chances in any of those - great!)

Safe - Rutgers Master of Information with the Data Science concentration

Moderate - Rutgers Master of Business and Science - Analytics concentration