Advice on Master's Degree Specialization

mynameisatree

I got into CE because I felt a passion and moral responsibility to help with water resource problems. In undergrad I did tons of stormwater research and applied work with city governments, and ended up burning out on spending all my time in front of a computer, never actually seeing anything get built. Now I'm graduated and I work for a heavy civil contractor that specializes in building hydraulic structures, currently building a huge treatment plant, and I couldn't be happier with this track. 

I want to work for the foreseeable future in the field building stuff, but I want to stay on water projects and keep my options open to possibly doing some design. Would it do me any good to get a Master's degree in water resource engineering? Kind of at a loss here because academically, I love learning about water stuff, but professionally, I love working in construction. What kind of advanced degree would do the most good towards wedding these interests in my future career?

Cal State Fresno has a Water Res. Mgmt program-and you might be able to do a lot of it online (I think) and possibly dovetail your current work into a thesis/masters project. I think they have a state of the art treatment facility nearby that is doing something with reclaiming AG runoff (if memory serves). While I don't know if it would be a fit for you it is probably worth looking at. Good luck. :)

oh, I thought it obvious so didn't mention that you may want to look at Cal and Stanford has a neat program the E-IPER that is kind of a choose your own adventure type of thing where you could combine your current skills and your interests...

Edited by Quickmick