Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

Yes, I am feeling remarkably anxious, especially considering next week there's a realistic chance of hearing from at least one program I've applied to. I've been doing lots of work to keep my mind off it, but especially as tomorrow winds down, I'll be getting pretty antsy. 

12 hours ago, dagnabbit said:

Can we all make a pact to post our profiles/results in the wrap-up thread when we've heard back from all of our programs? I know that past wrap-up threads have been an invaluable resource for me throughout this process, and I feel like the only way to give back is to give future applicants more data to analyze.

Deal

On 1/20/2017 at 1:58 PM, Monody said:

Very enlightening and heartening response. Thank you very much. Maybe just to add, I think that the progress is field and probably path-dependent. For example, I would argue that the progress on this front in my area (intrastate conflict research) is far less than in IPE for example, at least from what Ive read in the recent years. 

But coming back to my original question, what did you learn in your undergraduate method courses and what would you say is the average methodological knowledge they expect an undergraduate to have? Also in which program are you if I may ask?

Oh very true! But I wouldn't write off some of the more sophisticated research that say, Chris Blattman has produced on DDR programs in Liberia. It's coming, but I think less high profile. Have a friend ho is also applying in this area, and has delved into mixed methods research. There's a lot of there, I just don't think it's been considered "foundational" just yet. IPE has certainly exploited firm level data and product level data over the last 5-10 years, but even so. The top quant articles are really recent.

As an undergrad, I only took one methods class. I knew no coding, and never took statistics. I ran really basic correlations/t-tests in Excel in my undergraduate thesis at the request of my advisor, who then showed me the basics of Stata in the summer. I had a friend in economics help me with it too, but it was basically a mess. My MA is what gave me my methodological training - which is pretty average when it comes to what people are using in the field today. I did a general research design/methods course that gave a lay of the land covering interviews, surveys, formal theory, and a three week introduction to quant. The second was purely into to statistics, covering OLS/MLE, bootstrapping and MCMC simulation methods. Third course went into panel data with fixed and random effects, survival models, mediation analysis, quantile regressions, instrumental variables, regression discontinuity, SCM and matching, difference in difference, and nested analysis with process tracing. At ICPSR I did MLE and advanced regression analysis which covered corrections for nonlinear data, multiple imputation and a whole host of recent developments. Everything was oriented around applied concepts and coding. I saw the math, but was never expected to do it until I started my PhD this Fall. 

I can't really speak to the average methodological knowledge someone coming out of a BA is expected to have. Amongst the people in my cohort who came in right from undergrad (or had been working between but had no pursued another degree), only one of them had touched R or Stata before and that was because they had chosen to use it for their senior thesis. Some had taken undergraduate courses in calculus, but only a few. Overall the program assumed a basic knowledge of univariate calculus and matrix algebra. Most of us couldn't remember how to do it tbh and I personally had never done it as I had never taken calculus, though I knew that the concepts were operating under the programs I had been taught to use. But I can't say whether or not this is in the norm amongst every program. When I interviewed elsewhere last year, it felt about the same. Talking to people starting methods programs elsewhere, it does seem like they assumed a lot of us since most other math camps reviewed univariate calculus and ours assumed we already knew it. 

27 minutes ago, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

Oh very true! But I wouldn't write off some of the more sophisticated research that say, Chris Blattman has produced on DDR programs in Liberia. It's coming, but I think less high profile. Have a friend ho is also applying in this area, and has delved into mixed methods research. There's a lot of there, I just don't think it's been considered "foundational" just yet. IPE has certainly exploited firm level data and product level data over the last 5-10 years, but even so. The top quant articles are really recent.

As an undergrad, I only took one methods class. I knew no coding, and never took statistics. I ran really basic correlations/t-tests in Excel in my undergraduate thesis at the request of my advisor, who then showed me the basics of Stata in the summer. I had a friend in economics help me with it too, but it was basically a mess. My MA is what gave me my methodological training - which is pretty average when it comes to what people are using in the field today. I did a general research design/methods course that gave a lay of the land covering interviews, surveys, formal theory, and a three week introduction to quant. The second was purely into to statistics, covering OLS/MLE, bootstrapping and MCMC simulation methods. Third course went into panel data with fixed and random effects, survival models, mediation analysis, quantile regressions, instrumental variables, regression discontinuity, SCM and matching, difference in difference, and nested analysis with process tracing. At ICPSR I did MLE and advanced regression analysis which covered corrections for nonlinear data, multiple imputation and a whole host of recent developments. Everything was oriented around applied concepts and coding. I saw the math, but was never expected to do it until I started my PhD this Fall. 

I can't really speak to the average methodological knowledge someone coming out of a BA is expected to have. Amongst the people in my cohort who came in right from undergrad (or had been working between but had no pursued another degree), only one of them had touched R or Stata before and that was because they had chosen to use it for their senior thesis. Some had taken undergraduate courses in calculus, but only a few. Overall the program assumed a basic knowledge of univariate calculus and matrix algebra. Most of us couldn't remember how to do it tbh and I personally had never done it as I had never taken calculus, though I knew that the concepts were operating under the programs I had been taught to use. But I can't say whether or not this is in the norm amongst every program. When I interviewed elsewhere last year, it felt about the same. Talking to people starting methods programs elsewhere, it does seem like they assumed a lot of us since most other math camps reviewed univariate calculus and ours assumed we already knew it. 

Ive to say that sounds foremost interesting as I always assumed that the methodological training would be better at the undergraduate level in the US and second encouraging as this part will pose less of a hassle as the Econ courses that I am currently taking are quite intense in that regard. Thanks for the roundup.

Hello, people.

I've been in this forum last cycle, when I got eight rejections and was devastated for some time. But I've got my act together and tried again this cycle (this time with a different academic purpose, 14 applications, new letters of recommendation, etc.). I was planning to come here in February, but what I didn't expect was that by now I'd be already admitted to Rice (!!!). So I decided to anticipate my return.

For everybody here anxious and nervous about everything: try to relax if possible. A handful of rejections does not mean you're not fit for doctoral studies, neither that you're not going to get what you want eventually. This is important and I almost let it slip when I was depressed about my results last year.

But the most important thing is this cycle is only beginning. I figured I'd be anxious by now, but Rice put an unexpected and premature end to my nervousness. Rice wasn't even my best fit and I didn't expect it so quickly. I am certain you will eventually be as thrilled as I am right now.

Best of luck for everybody!

20 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

Hello, people.

I've been in this forum last cycle, when I got eight rejections and was devastated for some time. But I've got my act together and tried again this cycle (this time with a different academic purpose, 14 applications, new letters of recommendation, etc.). I was planning to come here in February, but what I didn't expect was that by now I'd be already admitted to Rice (!!!). So I decided to anticipate my return.

For everybody here anxious and nervous about everything: try to relax if possible. A handful of rejections does not mean you're not fit for doctoral studies, neither that you're not going to get what you want eventually. This is important and I almost let it slip when I was depressed about my results last year.

But the most important thing is this cycle is only beginning. I figured I'd be anxious by now, but Rice put an unexpected and premature end to my nervousness. Rice wasn't even my best fit and I didn't expect it so quickly. I am certain you will eventually be as thrilled as I am right now.

Lovely story of resilience! Glad you are back, glad you have good news, and thank you for the well-wishes. The nerves are real, but doing my best to take heart in your example.

8 hours ago, Monody said:

Ive to say that sounds foremost interesting as I always assumed that the methodological training would be better at the undergraduate level in the US and second encouraging as this part will pose less of a hassle as the Econ courses that I am currently taking are quite intense in that regard. Thanks for the roundup.

I should note that I did my BA/MA outside of the US. More generally though, methods is a mixed bag at the undergraduate level. Most majors are required at least a year in methods, if only to expose students to diverse approaches, but it's not always required. 

6 hours ago, VMcJ said:

Hello, people.

Me too. Received about 10 rejections for 2015-2016 cycle but wasn't really disheartened I must say. I wasn't in the right state of mind when I applied, which explains the sloppiness of my application and SOP. I also must add that this forum has been really helpful when I applied for the 2016-17 cycle and I hope I can really pay back soon upon news of acceptance. 

11 minutes ago, Monody said:

So which programs are we expecting this week? PennState on Friday or only early next week?

Based on last year, it looks like there may have been some Northwestern notifications this week? Does that seem crazy to anyone?

2 hours ago, Hates_Goats said:

Ohio State is a possibility this week, right?

Just got an email from my POI this morning. Was accepted to the History PhD program with full funding/stipend. Best of luck to everyone! 

Edited by sstubble

32 minutes ago, sstubble said:

Just got an email from my POI this morning. Was accepted to the History PhD program with full funding/stipend. Best of luck to everyone! 

Congrats! But this may be the wrong forum? Although maybe there is some connection between history and poli sci at OSU that I am not aware of...?

2 hours ago, sstubble said:

A History prospective students first post on this site is in the polisci forum?....

21 minutes ago, resDQ said:

A History prospective students first post on this site is in the polisci forum?....

lol I was trying to be charitable, but it seems like someone is just a little lost... oh well.

It is indeed strange that nobody claimed one of those entries. You'd think Berkeley is more than great news, people would post here.

I didn't try Berkeley, if I did I'd call or email them.

21 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

It is indeed strange that nobody claimed one of those entries. You'd think Berkeley is more than great news, people would post here.

I didn't try Berkeley, if I did I'd call or email them.

No, they didn't release decisions and won't for another two weeks or so. I just called. I think @RevTheory1126 is right. If no one claims anything explicitly on this board, or you didn't get an email giving you the yay or nay, then don't take it seriously.

I'd also like to point out that frequenters of this board would be wise to look at the date of decisions from the previous two cycles for whatever school it is that you're worried about, and go off of that. For Berkeley, it sounds like decisions won't go out until the end of next week at the earliest.

9 minutes ago, correlatesoftheory said:

No, they didn't release decisions and won't for another two weeks or so. I just called. 

Thank you for that! I saw those posts and got soo nervous. I'll stick to @RevTheory1126 policy now. I can't wait for all of this to be over. -.-*

Edited by Kenga

Guys/girls, I would really recommend not calling departments about results...easiest way to piss off administrators. 

Also, I think a better policy is just not to look at the results board at all...it's largely irrelevant at this stage. You either get an email or you don't.

Edited by Comparativist