Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

@HermioneWannabe My other waitlist is at Harvard (in the joint program with Government and Social Policy). I applied at AP but my subfield is a bit nebulous, mostly focused on social policy and corporate political actors. What about you?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us!!  

2 minutes ago, Bibica said:

@ralphwiththeconch Did you call to find out? Or were the joint program decisions just released early? I'm dying to know about Harvard here lol.

@Bibica They emailed me with a notification of the wait-list. I think the joint programs came out earlier. Still no word from the GSAS department though.

3 minutes ago, ralphwiththeconch said:

@Bibica They emailed me with a notification of the wait-list. I think the joint programs came out earlier. Still no word from the GSAS department though.

Ah I see. Guess I'll have to be a little more patient :wacko: Hopefully they take us out of our collective misery soon. 

3 hours ago, StrengthandHonor said:

I just called two departments and asked about their process.

Northwestern says that the adcom is not finished yet. They've sent out some rejections and some acceptances, but they are still finalizing their list. I was told that we could expect that process to be finished within a week. So for everyone who hasn't heard either way, there is still hope. 

Thanks @StrengthandHonor - I was almost happier when I thought radio silence meant a rejection ;)

46 minutes ago, Bibica said:

Ah I see. Guess I'll have to be a little more patient :wacko: Hopefully they take us out of our collective misery soon. 

Omg I know. From the looks of the results board (taken with a grain of salt), it looks like Sociology has started informing their rejects. Hopefully that means Harvard Gov might be coming soon with news.

13 minutes ago, ralphwiththeconch said:

Omg I know. From the looks of the results board (taken with a grain of salt), it looks like Sociology has started informing their rejects. Hopefully that means Harvard Gov might be coming soon with news.

Is there a reason to think they go together?

1 minute ago, dih2 said:

I made an assumption, since the joint program has Soc and Gov as part of the Committee. But to be honest, I have no idea if that translates to the GSAS departments in notifying us. So I don't want to give any false impressions.

31 minutes ago, dih2 said:

26 minutes ago, ralphwiththeconch said:

I made an assumption, since the joint program has Soc and Gov as part of the Committee. But to be honest, I have no idea if that translates to the GSAS departments in notifying us. So I don't want to give any false impressions.

As far as I can tell, there isn't any relation between when Sociology releases decisions and when Government releases decisions. That being said, one of the earlier posters said that they had some inside information that the last two days in February are most likely, so I would go with that.

7 hours ago, dih2 said:

It included some vague language "fellowship for the first 2 years, TA the next 2 years, dissertation fellowship after that" But I was hoping for some specificity (especially on compensation during the years when you teach.)

I also understand yale is going through this grad student unionization debate. Does anyone know of an objective source of information for how that might effect future grad students? How could funding packages change? What would union dues look like? How would it effect ability to work as an RA, etc.

The stipend is a minimum of $30,250 per year for 5 years. It does say that on my letter on the online app...

Not sure about the unionization thing, hadn't heard of it. Probably a good topic to bring up during visiting days.

1 hour ago, Anxiously Awaiting said:

For those waitlisted at Yale, what subfields are you? 

Also American Politics, however I do not know how the waitlist works, do they adjust based on area of study?

3 hours ago, Anxiously Awaiting said:

That was my assumption but I don't really know much about waitlists. I wonder how long it'll be before we hear back...

If you check the portal it sounds like we have to wait until after the 15th of April, which sounds super strange to me.

UNC probably will wrap things up during the next two weeks, according to their DGS. Hopefully someone will get late good news from them.