GRE repetition?

Diegoes

Hi,

I recently scored verbal: 157, quantitative: 168 and analytical 4.5. I want to apply to phd in economics in some top us programs. A profesor who will write one of my letters of recommendations told me that I should try taking it again to score 170 and possibly something higher in verbal -this one should not be so important in economics from what I know-.

Does it sound like a sensible idea to take the GRE again? Would it make much difference if I scored 170?

Any opinions would be appreciated :)

Edited by Diegoes

I agree with @thedarkknightrises. A 168 is 95th percentile, an excellent score. That score should be good enough for all the top programs, especially if your GPA is good and you have good recommendations.

Not sure if you're an international student, but if your TOEFL is 105 or above, your verbal should be good to go too.

I'd only consider retaking if you don't have other things to work on in your application: essays, forms, etc. That way, you'd have time to prepare and up your score...which, let's face it, is quite hard...easier to go from 150 to 155, but much harder to go from 168 to 170.