Does Life Science count towards the Biological Sciences pre-req for grad school admissions?

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not Life Science would count towards the biological sciences undergraduate pre-req (One class in bio sciences, chemistry or physics, stats, one class in behavioral sciences like psych or sociology etc., I wanted to specify what I was referring to in case I'm using the word prerequisite improperly) for grad school? On the ASHA website, it says that acceptable courses in the biological sciences would be something like veterinary science, biology, neuroanatomy, etc. so I was unsure if my Life Science course would count towards filling that requirement. I took the course my freshman year, and although it is not specifically called "biology", it was basically a simple bio course. Ideally, I'd like to be done taking non-CSD science courses, so I really hope this class will count. :rolleyes:

Thank you!

It might.

I don't want to say "probably" because I might be wrong. Basically, each graduate program makes this decision. You can email them with a description of the course and they can tell you. Also ask if it doesn't count, can you be admitted without it and be allowed to do it during grad school (many programs do this even if they're not marketed as "extended masters" or anything). 

Also, I think they usually call it the "Basic Science Pre-Req" or the "Standard IV-A Pre-Req." 

I think I would just take a Biology class just to be sure. I would think it depend on grad school if a life science would count? I know in my curriculum we must take 2 biologies for non-major courses. 

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your replies!

I looked into it further and found some more information. This is the official course description for the class I took, which is listed under the Biological Sciences category on my university's course directory page.

Life Science (BSC 1005) 2 credits
A survey of life on earth for non-majors. Evolution, anatomy, physiology, genetics, reproduction, and ecology are stressed. Lectures and discussions also demonstrate how biological knowledge is relevant to social, economic environmental and philosophical problems. This is a General Education course.

* Life Science Lab (BSC 1005L) 1 credit
Pre or Corequisite: BSC 1005
Laboratory investigation of biological knowledge relevant to social, economic, environmental and philosophical problems. This is a General Education course.

Half of me wants to take another biology course with the word biology explicitly in the title just to be safe, but the other half is overwhelmed with the knowledge of having to take chemistry and all of the SPA/CSD specific prereqs on top of my UG major coursework as well.