Hello world! Has anyone done the video response as part of SIPA's admissions package? I know it's being implemented as of 2017 application cycle, so I am wondering if there are any Spring 2017 candidates that have already done it. Helpful tips, feedback, etc. would be much appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey @kamilas and @matt99,

Columbia SIPA's admissions blog has a few tips on how to handle the video essay. You can access it here. One tip I want to impress upon you and other applicants is to make sure you have good lighting. Your light source should be facing your face and behind your camera. So you should be facing a window or desk lamp, not sitting with your back to a window or your light source. If you sit with your back to the window, your face will be a dark silhouette. Look out for any distracting things in the background--like an overflowing laundry hamper or a poster in the background that has text that is almost legible but just not quite.

Hopefully my team and I can pump out a blog post with more tips for you all before it's too late!

Best of luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just did mine - the question was "What do you think the "ideal" SIPA student is?" (or something close to that, don't remember the exact wording). I was very frustrated that I couldn't find any sample questions online to prepare with, so hopefully this is helpful to people! I was definitely expecting something more related to actual policy...

Good luck! 

Any help on the video response policy? Any sample prompts here ? Thanks much in advance. 

Thank you so much for this prompt. It's annoying to not see any of those sample prompts here. I'll be doing mine just in a few hours. 

Cheers

15 hours ago, R Sood said:

Any help on the video response policy? Any sample prompts here ? Thanks much in advance. 

Thank you so much for this prompt. It's annoying to not see any of those sample prompts here. I'll be doing mine just in a few hours. 

Cheers

Hi RSood, Have you completed the video response and might you be willing to share your prompt? Thanks!

Mine was tell us about a favorite childhood memory. I don't think I did so hot with it. I was more expecting an interview type question and the minute prep doesn't give you much time to sift through memories to find a good one.

Good luck to everyone else!

Just submitted RD- mine was something like "What is a major trend you see in your chosen field/area of study?"

Looking at the other prompts above I don't think anyone needs to worry about getting a real policy question.  60 seconds to prepare and 60 seconds to speak isn't nearly enough time. Despite practicing multiple times I still got horribly flustered watching the red timer tick down. I was accepted last year and my CV has only improved since then but I'm now seriously worried I've ruined my chances this round with my sub-par performance. :/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

just did mine - the question was "what local development had an impact on a country's foreign policy?' think i 'bombed' it ^ as worded in baysbar94's 

hope this little contribution to this thread helps other applicants :) all the best, and don't worry too much about the video response. keep calm and hope that the randomizer delivers you a straight forward question!

Mine was "How do you handle multi-tasking?" I bumbled through something about how it's required in my field and legit ended with an "ummmm.....yeah." when I saw I was out of time. Nevertheless, I got in EA! So don't worry too much guys.

Just did mine and it was: "Describe your morning routine"... I was not expecting something so... "simple"? So I got kind of got nervous and did it kind of fast... I spent the last 3 seconds just staring at the webcam because I had already finished telling my (far from extraordinary) morning routine, hahaha.

Just did mine, it was: Do you have any talents?

Felt strange telling them how talented I was :lol:

And I barely finished my last sentence as timer counted down, the final video didn't capture my last word (where's the laugh-cry emoji when you need it)

Mine was "how has the unstable global climate affected you"? I didn't realise the video was going to start IMMEDIATELY after my 60-sec preparation (despite reading the instructions and practicing!) so they caught me saying, "oh! It's started!" and laughing kinda awkwardly.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was something along the lines of "Do you think international organizations are effective?" I think I talked about including diverse voices in issues that affect us on a global scale or something. Honestly I was so nervous that it all came and went in a blur haha.

For reference I applied to the MPA-ESP program