Letters of Recommendation - Problem with third letter

deerrr

Hi,

I'm planning to apply to MPP programs this fall but I have a problem with the 3 letters of recommendation requirement.

I have been out of school for 6 years (2 short internships after graduating which were 3 months each, one three-year job, current job has been 2 years)

Letter 1 - current employer (will be a solid letter)

Letter 2 - professor who is at the policy school of my undergrad institution (will be a solid letter)

Letter 3 - Executive Director from one of my 3-month internships (would be a solid letter if I ask him...)

Please be honest with me: will letter 3 be a problem? It would make the most sense to have Letter 3 come from my three-year job, but for reason XYZ I don't want to do that. 

Do you think this will hurt my application?

Edited by deerrr

Two strong letters plus a so-so letter should be fine. It's good that one is from a professor, and actually I would think that a letter from one of your internships wouldn't be a bad choice, assuming it's relevant to your proposed course of studies. It'd be better if this person knew you longer and if the internship was in the immediate past, but you can't change those things now. I think it should work out. 

2 hours ago, deerrr said:

Letter 3 - Executive Director from one of my 3-month internships (would be a solid letter if I ask him...)

You can always ask to write the letter of reference yourself and have the director approve of it. That way, the strength of the letter is totally in your hands.