Applications- Try it or not

Hi everyone, 

I took CSD courses in undergrad and overall had a low GPA (3.04) and did not apply to grad school since I figured I would not get in. I had 4 C's in the major (not the best, I know, I had a lot of personal issues going on). I did not take the GRE yet. Instead I got my masters in ABA. I got all A's (4.0 GPA), and combined my GPA has risen to 3.2. In addition to being a BCBA, I would love to have get my SLP degree since both go so well together. I took the accelerated program for ABA and finished within the year rather then two, so instead of having a gap year I got a masters in ABA. 

1. Should I apply for SLP school?

2. If yes, where do you think some programs may accept me? I'm willing to relocate and travel

1.  Only if you can score really high on the GRE.  I know there are a lot of eternal optimists on this page that will tell people to reach for their dream etc etc, but give little consideration to the costs and sometimes the realistic likelihood of getting in.  It is so competitive that unless your GRE stands out and I'm talking combined 320+ to balance out the GPA.  I would say don't do it unless you are passionately wanting to pursue this.  A lot of programs will not combine your masters gpa with your bachelors so your gpa will still be a 3.04 at most schools.  Unfortunately almost all programs have a GPA cut off whether or not they publicize it...3.5 seems to be a common one.  

Go take the GRE first, see what you score, take a class to improve it (if you need to) and if you can get a really great score give it a shot.  I am not trying to crush your dream if it is to be an SLP but at the same time go into the process with all the information you can!  Good luck, hope you can kick the GRE's butt!

On 10/17/2016 at 4:54 PM, CBG321 said:

1.  Only if you can score really high on the GRE.  I know there are a lot of eternal optimists on this page that will tell people to reach for their dream etc etc, but give little consideration to the costs and sometimes the realistic likelihood of getting in.  It is so competitive that unless your GRE stands out and I'm talking combined 320+ to balance out the GPA.  I would say don't do it unless you are passionately wanting to pursue this.  A lot of programs will not combine your masters gpa with your bachelors so your gpa will still be a 3.04 at most schools.  Unfortunately almost all programs have a GPA cut off whether or not they publicize it...3.5 seems to be a common one.  

Go take the GRE first, see what you score, take a class to improve it (if you need to) and if you can get a really great score give it a shot.  I am not trying to crush your dream if it is to be an SLP but at the same time go into the process with all the information you can!  Good luck, hope you can kick the GRE's butt!

Agree 200%. I know everyone wants encouragement, but you're only hurting applicants if you sugar coat everything and not help them see the reality. I have known many, many colleagues that spent years getting into grad school only to end up in debt, broke, and with nothing to show on their resume. 

I empathize with your personal circumstances; I went through a lot during school. But four Cs is quite a lot. If you absolutely want to become an SLP and understand that it will probably take you more than one application cycle and a lot of $$$, then my best advice is to scour these boards to find schools that accept those with much lower GPAs. Retake the GRE as many times as you can. A 150 on each is not going to cut it for your situation. You're going to want at least a 160 range to show that your GPA is just a fluke. I'm sure someone will come in and tell you that hey, don't worry, I got into X school with X GPA, you'll be fine. BE REALISTIC. Have a back up plan or two ready to go in case this doesn't work out. I truly, truly wish you the best of luck. I just do not want to see another young person end up at a dead end because people kept telling them everything will be fine