Need Help on Robotics Phd Admissions

xusnac

Hello guys,

I need some guidance as I will be applying for Phd programs for 2017 with cool projects but low GPA and no publications.

I designed robots, worked on projects for many years. I even started to build things when I was in high school. During my undergraduate, I involved with research, worked as a research assistant at biomedical lab for two years. Then, I did a research internship at one of the finest universities in Turkey about a year. Now, I am pursuing a masters degree on mechatronics and simultaneously working as an r&d engineer at a small startup firm designing robots for handicapped people.

I am able to get at least one stellar reference letter from my professors who know me and my projects. I don’t have any publication but I have almost 2 years of research experience.

I have a crappy undergrad GPA, 2.70, with no good reason; and my masters GPA is 3.21. I have worked full time while pursuing masters, thats the explanation of 3.21. My GRE score will probably get around 320 - and my TOEFL score will be in 99-105 range)

Do you think I have shot at these universities:

• Worcester Polytechnic Institute

• Oregon State University

• San Diego State University (has joint doctoral programs with UCSD - I have no idea how hard is it to get admitted)

• University of Connecticut

These universities have awesome research topics that I want to work on them.

I might be able to add 2 or more universities to my list.

I don't think anyone here (or anywhere) can tell you for sure if you're gonna be accepted to any program. Admission is conditional on a bunch of things, e.g., if the university has just hired a prof who's now actively expanding his group, you have significantly more chances.

I've read that GPA in the most recent degree program matters most, and yours is not too bad. You can focus on your SOP and LORs, and certainly add 2-3 more universities to your list. Email potential advisors to get on their radar. Try to nail the GRE, get as close to 170 in quant as you can.