Fall 2017 I/O Psych Applicants

wecanalldothis2017

1 hour ago, QuickFelix said:

Quick question for any of you. I've been reviewing the profiles of current and past Phd I/O students and I've noticed the vast majority have a BA in Psychology, though the programs state that any degree may apply. I have a bachelor's and a master's in a different behavioral science. Am I delusional to think I have a chance? I have research experience, a good GPA, good GRE scores, and good letters of recommendation. I'm just worried that I've put so much effort into this, and they may just overlook me. 

I came from a different part of psychology (and never took any social, personality, or I/O in undergrad) and I got into two top programs in my country (Canada). Some people did want to know how I chose this area, because they want to know why I was switching. But if you make a case for that, I don't think it would be a waste. Not many places have IO, so you don't always have exposure to this area before you get to grad school.

Also, research experience in general is helpful. Those skills are very transferable. Can you reach out to professors beforehand and ask them some of these questions?

I'm applying to BGSU and Western Michigan - trying to stay local.  I'm DYING waiting to hear back.  Western's program is pretty new, so I don't see any results posts.  It looks like BGSU didn't start contacting applicants until late January last year, though.  I don't know how much more of this waiting game I can take!

On 11/28/2016 at 7:33 PM, Evangeline95 said:

Hello everyone! Glad to see some fellow I/O applicants!

I'm applying to U of Maryland

Northwestern

U of Michigan

DePaul

SUNY Buffalo

The deadlines are making me CRAZY.:o

Which track at UM are you applying to?  I live in Ann Arbor and was going to apply, but I prefer more balanced applied work instead of strictly academic.  Great school though!

On 1/6/2017 at 11:50 AM, kristincas said:

Which track at UM are you applying to?  I live in Ann Arbor and was going to apply, but I prefer more balanced applied work instead of strictly academic.  Great school though!

I am applying to the Management & Organizations PhD program at UM. But it's a long shot. Hopefully we can hear back from the schools soon. I hate waiting..... :(

7 hours ago, Evangeline95 said:

I am applying to the Management & Organizations PhD program at UM. But it's a long shot. Hopefully we can hear back from the schools soon. I hate waiting..... :(

I almost applied to that one, too!  My GRE scores were a bit under their average and I'm too lazy to re-take at this point.  But they expire this year... so if I get rejected this year maybe I'd reconsider.  I'm local to AA, so if you get in and need any recommendations for anything, I'm happy to help! (although there are other forums for that, too :)).

On 30/12/2016 at 10:46 AM, QuickFelix said:

Quick question for any of you. I've been reviewing the profiles of current and past Phd I/O students and I've noticed the vast majority have a BA in Psychology, though the programs state that any degree may apply. I have a bachelor's and a master's in a different behavioral science. Am I delusional to think I have a chance? I have research experience, a good GPA, good GRE scores, and good letters of recommendation. I'm just worried that I've put so much effort into this, and they may just overlook me. 

By a 'different behavioral science' what do you mean? like an applied behaviour analysis degree?

I think a majority of degrees are applicable, but the one component that matters is whether you have completed a major research project (undergraduate thesis). If you did complete one, you are in pretty good shape (I think). However, some universities ask you to contact them to see if another major research project can supplement the lack of an undergraduate thesis.

Hey everyone! So relieving to hear that others are going through this process, it has been quite a rollercoaster ride! I just submitted the last of my applications for Master's programs, thank goodness! Overview of my profile and schools I applied to below. I would love to hear from others that are focused on MA/MS programs or have applied to these programs in the past. Hoping for just one acceptance to make all the work worth it! Good luck to everyone!!

General Stats: Double Major in Business & Psychology from University of Mary Washington (liberal arts school in DC area), 3.2 Overall GPA, 3.5 Psych GPA, GRE: V - 85th Percentile, Q - 47th Percentile, W - 60th Percentile, Student Representative for Psychology Department (assisted in hiring professor, met with department chair weekly) and College of Business Advisory Board Member. B+/A-'s in all stats courses and completed two team research projects for research seminar courses (A-'s in these classes as well). LoR came from Dept Chair, seminar research adviser and current boss. Three years post-grad business experience in sales and consulting for learning & development teams and referenced applied experiences to I/O heavily in my personal statement. 

Applied to:

-CSULB

-SDSU 

-Claremont

-USC (Applied Psychology) 

-Columbia Teachers College (Social Org)

Small world! Where are you in the grad process? Thanks for the peace of mind, so helpful to have an outside perspective after living and breathing my applications for months :)

Hi! I completed 8 applications for PhD programs in I/O. Research interests are marginalized groups in the workplace and occupational health psychology focusing on workers with disabilities. Here is where I applied; TAMU, Portland State, Colorado State, George Mason, George Washington, DePaul, Clemson, & CUNY. Currently anxiously awaiting decisions!! 

2 hours ago, infamousMJ said:

Hi! I completed 8 applications for PhD programs in I/O. Research interests are marginalized groups in the workplace and occupational health psychology focusing on workers with disabilities. Here is where I applied; TAMU, Portland State, Colorado State, George Mason, George Washington, DePaul, Clemson, & CUNY. Currently anxiously awaiting decisions!! 

I ended up applying to a TAMU and GMU too! Haven't heard anything yet, and the Results page is filled with Clinical with no I/O atm (no matter how much I refresh!!). I'll be sure to post if I hear anything.

On 1/13/2017 at 10:21 PM, bhav88 said:

Do people usually hear stuff this early? I thought most people begin to get acceptances in late February..

For the programs I applied to, it looks like the earliest accepted records were from the third week of January last year up to mid February for early picks and April for applicants who were wait listed.  

7 hours ago, kristincas said:

Is anyone else going crazy or is it just me?!?  I guess no results are better than rejections.

Definitely going crazy with you! This is torture. I am holding back from calling program offices to ask when they expect to release decisions...  

10 hours ago, Kate_Boggs said:

Definitely going crazy with you! This is torture. I am holding back from calling program offices to ask when they expect to release decisions...  

Me too!  I want to email them so badly.  I mean, you can always say you have another offer to make your bugging them seem justified...  but I don't want to lie!  At least there aren't that many I/O results posted yet.  

4 hours ago, Volo said:

I did - no news yet. I've only heard from UCF so far.

Hope you got good news!
 If you did, and have any q's about UCF, feel free to message! I did my undergrad there! (if they told you no, then don't even worry about it- we can talk smack about the 407)