Music Composition Phd - recordings necessary?

Phil_Mazza

Hi fellow composers,

I'm applying to a few phd programs in music compostion this Winter and am curious how important it is to have recordings for all of my pieces? I have recordings for 3 of my 4 pieces, but unfortunately my strongest piece has not been recorded or performed yet because it was only finished in September and I can't find players that can pull it off before apps are due. Do you think I should still submit the piece with no recording or should I submit a weaker piece with a recording? 

Thanks in advance!

• 3 months later...

Hello, probably too late for this to matter but I thought I'd share my idea.

I think it's pretty well understood that we keep improving and that our most new and innovative work won't necessarily already be recorded.

I had this situation with one piece I was really excited about, so I submitted the score only. But I also included as many score+recording combos as the requirements asked for, 3-4.

I'd say you're fine as long as it's clear you chose to do that not for lack of recorded music, but because your newer piece is very central to who you are as a composer currently who might be studying at this particular school next fall.