HESA 2017

selkeylandrel

Hi! I am in the process of applying.  I'm applying to UConn, UMD, James Madison, George Washington, and Central Connecticut State. I wanted a program that is counseling based and where there is an opportunity for an assistantship/internship in either career services, study abroad, or disability services. Where are you all considering? Very curious!

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, MAC2809 said:

Hi Lauren,

is $75,000 in debt worth it?

I graduated with $60k in debt, and yes it was worth it as it got me a job making more than double what I had previously made, and it got me into my dream PhD program. But I don't have any dependents. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @MAC2809!

At first glance, the price does seem daunting. I almost didn't apply because I felt uncomfortable with navigating how to pay for it. Honestly I was pleasantly surprised at how much Teachers College is able to help their HPSE students financially. The college offered enough assistance that I turned down full-rides from two other schools. Below are some links to websites that you may find helpful. 

General Overview of Financial Aid Sources: http://www.tc.columbia.edu/admissions/financial-aid/financial-aid-sources/

General Database of Positions (work-study positions, assistantships, staff positions, etc.): https://careers.tc.columbia.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1480356461688

Also, there is an internship fair in the spring that you may attend if you are admitted! 

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Applied to five universities for their HESA (or equivalent-ish) programs -> University of Rochester, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Colorado State University and Michigan State University. ( Also Anglia Ruskin University in UK if you're wondering where's the fifth).

Already got admitted to Rochester (one of my top programs but still waiting to hear back from others before making a final decision), and partially admitted to UW-Madison (faculty recommended to the school, waiting for final decision by the Graduate School admissions office). While I would love to go to Madison (my alma mater, so staying means less hassle in moving across the country and starting over, plus I already have an idea of where to work while in grad school since I've been working at the Admissions Office for three years and can ask my supervisor if they need an extra grad assistant in the office, or even as an admissions counselor), I feel like going to a different school for my Master's would prove to be beneficial as well (what do you guys think?)

On 12/13/2016 at 4:28 PM, syazanazura said:

Hi!

Applied to five universities for their HESA (or equivalent-ish) programs -> University of Rochester, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Colorado State University and Michigan State University. ( Also Anglia Ruskin University in UK if you're wondering where's the fifth).

Already got admitted to Rochester (one of my top programs but still waiting to hear back from others before making a final decision), and partially admitted to UW-Madison (faculty recommended to the school, waiting for final decision by the Graduate School admissions office). While I would love to go to Madison (my alma mater, so staying means less hassle in moving across the country and starting over, plus I already have an idea of where to work while in grad school since I've been working at the Admissions Office for three years and can ask my supervisor if they need an extra grad assistant in the office, or even as an admissions counselor), I feel like going to a different school for my Master's would prove to be beneficial as well (what do you guys think?)

While I'm not familiar with those schools, I have heard that it's beneficial to have experience at multiple institutional types (both for your resume and personal knowledge when choosing where to work professionally). So if UWM allows the opportunity for internships or practicum at different schools, it may not make a huge difference. But that may be something to take into account.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there! Thanks for starting this, it's very helpful to see what's going on with other people's experiences! I applied to four schools:

University of Maryland

Ohio State University

University of Texas-Austin

University of Washington

I received an email from UMD about a week ago saying that I was still being considered. They had accidentally (I think!) not sent the email as a blind copy, so I could see who else they sent the email to and, including myself, there were 66 recipients. I'm not sure exactly what this means- if these are the only people still being considered? 

Other than that, I have only received an email from University of Washington saying that they have received all of my materials. I would love to hear if anyone else has received any communication or any results! 

On 1/10/2017 at 3:13 PM, sunshine88 said:

Hello there! Thanks for starting this, it's very helpful to see what's going on with other people's experiences! I applied to four schools:

University of Maryland

Ohio State University

University of Texas-Austin

University of Washington

I received an email from UMD about a week ago saying that I was still being considered. They had accidentally (I think!) not sent the email as a blind copy, so I could see who else they sent the email to and, including myself, there were 66 recipients. I'm not sure exactly what this means- if these are the only people still being considered? 

Other than that, I have only received an email from University of Washington saying that they have received all of my materials. I would love to hear if anyone else has received any communication or any results! 

Congrats on Maryland! I'm really hoping that the rest of the results start rolling in soon...this waiting is exhausting. So far, I have an interview at Indiana University and also Nebraska!

Hi everyone!

I applied to University of San Francisco, UCLA, UMich, and UPenn. Anxiously waiting for admissions decisions! I applied to one year programs for the time frame and cost. My first choice would be UCLA! Glad we can all freak out together. Best of luck!

On 1/10/2017 at 4:13 PM, sunshine88 said:

@sunshine88 Did you apply to the MA Higher Ed program?