how much math should I review for the chemistry GRE?

scientific

Hey everyone!

I'm preparing for the chemistry GRE. I Used Mcquarrie for pchem, which if anyone knows, was extremely, rigourously math-based. I'm skeptical to use it as a review because I doubt the chemistry GRE requires a lot of "higher level" math... Can anyone talk about their experiences? What was some of the more complicated calculations you had to do?

• 5 weeks later...

You don't get a calculator so oftentimes the most math intensive questions are just setting up equations. Think dimensional analysis. A conceptual understanding of quantum and thermo is really all you will need even for the questions that seem out of left field. Just being able to interpret the equations is all you will need to figure out the right answer. No need to review your multivariable calculus or linear algebra really.

• 1 month later...

No need for math at all. Although, for kinetics questions, I had do couple of integrations to get the integrated rate laws because I forgot the integrated rate laws for all three orders... I am absolutely terrible in math, but it was just basic integration so that saved me. The rate law questions are designed such a way that the numbers work out very clean. Absolutely no calculations needed for QM. Basically, if there are any calculation questions, the numbers will work out, or you can use dimensional analysis as catalyzemecpatain said. I mean the higher level math is required to understand couple of topics while studying, but no need to do partial differentiations and solving for 10x10 determinant (imagine....) :)