2017 EEB Applicant Profiles & Admissions Results

beetle_lover

8 hours ago, Vee2111 said:

There's been a lot of talk on here and other threads about getting interview invites and hearing decision info already. Is it typical to hear back by now? I only applied to two grad schools and one doesn't send out interview invites until the end of January, but I haven't heard anything from the other which is my top choice. Both had application deadlines of 12/15 so I didn't think I'd hear anything for a while.

It all depends on the program, honestly. Looking at past years' results is a good way to gauge when your program normally sends out invites (if at all - some programs accept without interviews.)

On 1/3/2017 at 8:43 AM, dustonthedash said:

It all depends on the program, honestly. Looking at past years' results is a good way to gauge when your program normally sends out invites (if at all - some programs accept without interviews.)

The problem is with programs which are underrepresented on gc. Like for Minnesota EEB, I don't see a clear pattern - have no idea when to expect something, especially as an international applicant. :mellow:

5 hours ago, Forest Owlet said:

The problem is with programs which are underrepresented on gc. Like for Minnesota EEB, I don't see a clear pattern - have no idea when to expect something, especially as an international applicant. :mellow:

I also applied to Minnesota EEB - good luck to both of us! 

I applied there last year as well (but with a different POI), so here's what I remember - interview invites were sent out in December, interview weekend was the last weekend in January, and decisions started coming out in March. I ended up getting waitlisted and didn't receive an official rejection until May. So now, I am thinking that I did not get an interview this round. 

3 minutes ago, dustonthedash said:

I applied there last year as well (but with a different POI), so here's what I remember - interview invites were sent out in December, interview weekend was the last weekend in January, and decisions started coming out in March. I ended up getting waitlisted and didn't receive an official rejection until May. So now, I am thinking that I did not get an interview this round. 

According to my previous mentors, Minnesota EEB has already sent out invites, or at least  done with reviews. 

1 hour ago, SysEvo said:

According to my previous mentors, Minnesota EEB has already sent out invites, or at least  done with reviews. 

I figured that was the case :/

I think I'll give it a week and then email the grad coordinator before I count it as a rejection. Thanks for the extra info!

On 1/8/2017 at 6:17 AM, dustonthedash said:

Ok, so I emailed the program coordinator, and was informed that invites would be sent out in the week of Jan 26th. I don't know if the Jan bit was a typo (sounds unlikely), as 26th is in the middle of the week. So hang in there :)

Maybe you can drop a mail and check, too? I don't want to annoy the program coordinator, but I'd really like to know if they're done :unsure:

On 1/8/2017 at 6:20 AM, SysEvo said:

I didn't get what you meant by previous mentors.. do you know that they have sent out invites for this cycle?

Also, any clue as to whether international applicants have the same timelines? They aren't invited to the interview weekend according to the website.

Edited by Forest Owlet

Also, I am wondering whether everybody who eventually gets an offer gets interviewed. I had fairly extensive skype chats with my POIs (before the application deadline), so if it's the same folks who'll interview me, I have no clue what we'll talk about. Is this par for course (does everybody have these chats with POIs before applying)?

1 hour ago, Forest Owlet said:

I didn't get what you meant by previous mentors.. do you know that they have sent out invites for this cycle?

Also, any clue as to whether international applicants have the same timelines? They aren't invited to the interview weekend according to the website.

They used to mentor me for my previous research project, and they are also my recommenders. And I was talking about this cycle. I don't think international applicants are invited to come.

11 minutes ago, SysEvo said:

They used to mentor me for my previous research project, and they are also my recommenders. And I was talking about this cycle. I don't think international applicants are invited to come.

Thanks. Oh dear :(

On 12/26/2016 at 7:57 PM, BSB825 said:

Does anyone know anything about UC Irvine? I already saw some rejections on the results page.

I got a rejection right away from UC Irvine. From the graduate admissions it seems, kinda cruel that the EEB dept has sent me an email AND catalog in mail, saying they are still reviewing applicants. Even though I have already been rejected, like salt in the wound...

On 1/9/2017 at 8:34 AM, Forest Owlet said:

Ok, so I emailed the program coordinator, and was informed that invites would be sent out in the week of Jan 26th. I don't know if the Jan bit was a typo (sounds unlikely), as 26th is in the middle of the week. So hang in there :)

Maybe you can drop a mail and check, too? I don't want to annoy the program coordinator, but I'd really like to know if they're done 

I believe that January 26th is the date of actual interviews, that's what my POI had told me when we Skyped back in November. Their FAQ also says that interview invites will be extended in mid-December, and that international applicants will be interviewed by phone only.

I've emailed the program coordinator to double check, though, so that I can rule it out for myself completely.

On 1/9/2017 at 8:34 AM, Forest Owlet said:

Maybe you can drop a mail and check, too? I don't want to annoy the program coordinator, but I'd really like to know if they're done :unsure:

Program coordinator just confirmed that all interview invites have been sent, and interviews are the 26th through 29th. Kinda bummed. :( Who knows though, maybe I'll get waitlisted again like last time so there's still hope.

20 hours ago, dustonthedash said:

Program coordinator just confirmed that all interview invites have been sent, and interviews are the 26th through 29th. Kinda bummed. :( Who knows though, maybe I'll get waitlisted again like last time so there's still hope.

Thanks. Damn. So did you get waitlisted at a later stage (after initially not getting an interview call/any info on your application)?

47 minutes ago, Forest Owlet said:

Thanks. Damn. So did you get waitlisted at a later stage (after initially not getting an interview call/any info on your application)?

Yes, there isn't an official waitlist (i.e. application always said "awaiting program decision" in the online portal) but I emailed in late February last year and found out that they had started accepting people. The program coordinator then told me that I was on the unofficial waitlist and I didn't hear anything after that until April/May (which was just automated email from the portal saying I was no longer under consideration.)

20 minutes ago, dustonthedash said:

Yes, there isn't an official waitlist (i.e. application always said "awaiting program decision" in the online portal) but I emailed in late February last year and found out that they had started accepting people. The program coordinator then told me that I was on the unofficial waitlist and I didn't hear anything after that until April/May (which was just automated email from the portal saying I was no longer under consideration.)

I don't think you are waitlisted without an interview...I may be wrong though

5 hours ago, SysEvo said:

I don't think you are waitlisted without an interview...I may be wrong though

I think you're right about that being the case at most institutions. My experience last year with Minnesota was that other people were getting accepted ~March and when I emailed to follow up I was told I was on the waitlist (no interview). When it got really late in the game, though, (i.e. April) they sent out messages that we were "unlikely to be admitted" before rolling out official rejections in April/May.

I have been stalking this forum for a month. Figured I would go ahead and add myself.

Undergrad Institution: Largest State School
Major(s):Genetics
Minor(s):ANthropology
GPA in Major: 3.9
Overall GPA: 3.9
Position in Class: Top, Honors Distinction

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 159
V: 159
W: 4.0

Research Experience: 2.5 years undergrad with a competitive fellowship, 2 separate 1.5 year tech jobs. 2 publications, 1 manuscript in the works

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 2 posters, 2 conferences, top undergraduate thesis award

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 3 full years as a full time research associate

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:Applied for the 2017 NSFGRFP

Applying to Where: I am interested in evolutionary genetics and quantitative genomics. Keep In mind I spoke with multiple professors at each of these schools, not casting a broad net, but deliberately speaking with people who do the same type of research that I do and that I am interested in. 

Harvard OEB: Invited to Interview Feb 5-7

Princeton EEB: Invited to Interview Feb 8-9

Duke Biology: Unofficially Invited to Interview - pending formal invitation

Columbia EEB: pending

U of Chicago EEB: Invited to Interview Feb 15-19

Edited by Contig

Wow, Contig-- really strong application. I applied to Columbia E3B as well. Apparently they took in a really large cohort of students last year and thus are very few spots this year. Eek. Faculty meetings are happening later next week to discuss applications, I've heard. Good luck!