2017 EEB Applicant Profiles & Admissions Results

beetle_lover

3 hours ago, dustonthedash said:

Harvard OEB is sending out invites now according to the survey.

Yep. I'm assuming they were all sent out on or by Friday (1/13). Let me know if anyone knows or has heard differently- until then, they're tucked nice and tightly into my rejection pile.

Someone did post a rejection from OEB, which I find curious. I'd like to know if it was a formal or actual rejection or an i-didn't-get-an-invite assumed rejection. 

Edited by Marshall

32 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Someone did post a rejection from OEB, which I find curious. I'd like to know if it was a formal or actual rejection or an i-didn't-get-an-invite assumed rejection. 

I posted the rejection for OEB, the PI let me know on e-mail when I inquired. Sorry for not clarifying that on survey.

2 hours ago, Hr. Gore said:

I posted the rejection for OEB, the PI let me know on e-mail when I inquired. Sorry for not clarifying that on survey.

Ah, thanks for letting me know. So, in that case, I'll continue assuming all invitations were sent out.

I'm curious, how many people are applying solely to programs that are specifically labeled as Ecology/Evolution? I applied to a few Biology programs with several evolutionary biologists in the department and some general Biology umbrella programs.

Well, the research you were interested in, I'm assuming that people doing that sort of work were in a variety of departments if you were able to apply to EEB and general Bio.

I don't even go here tbh, Harvard is out for me so all my other applications are in Geology departments (where a majority of paleontologists reside). 

On 1/17/2017 at 2:03 PM, Marshall said:

Well, the research you were interested in, I'm assuming that people doing that sort of work were in a variety of departments if you were able to apply to EEB and general Bio.

I'm interested in the molecular evolution of infectious disease. I didn't go looking for general Bio departments, but several people I was interested in working in just happened to be in Bio at WashU. The current university I'm doing my Masters at only has a Biology department and has 9 evolutionary biologists. I saw UMich has an EEB program, but people mostly apply to the PIBS umbrella.

6 hours ago, jmillar said:

I'm curious, how many people are applying solely to programs that are specifically labeled as Ecology/Evolution? I applied to a few Biology programs with several evolutionary biologists in the department and some general Biology umbrella programs.

I applied mostly to EEB specific programs, though some of the faculty I were interested in are also under the Neurobiology/Physiology/Behavior umbrella (which is what my undergrad department was.) I picked based on the directions I want to go with my research.

Edited by dustonthedash
spelling error

6 hours ago, Marshall said:

I don't even go here tbh, Harvard is out for me so all my other applications are in Geology departments (where a majority of paleontologists reside). 

Only one, and got rejected by my own mentors, hahaha. Though they will take me if didn't get in to any other places

31 minutes ago, SysEvo said:

Only one, and got rejected by my own mentors, hahaha. Though they will take me if didn't get in to any other places

I realize you were responding to the other person, but I had the same thing happen to me my first round of PhD apps (I was in a program, had to leave due to poor fit [after way toooooo long trying to make it work]). I was like "well, fine, I didn't want to go here anyway". I did :rolleyes:.

Good luck with those interviews you have lined up!!

So, I haven't heard anything officially from any school and am starting to get antsy. During the application season I had really good rapport with a PI who made it seem that I would almost certainly get into her lab, would it be tacky to contact her to get back in touch? I wouldn't ask her directly about admissions, I just fear how it would look to send her a random "check in" email after a month of no contact, when it happens to be interview invite week.

20 hours ago, BSB825 said:

Does Michigan State University EEBB have formal interviews?

EEBB is an interdisciplinary program that doesn't hold its own interviews, but most of the departments that are part of EEBB do. What department did you apply to?

48 minutes ago, Pitangus said:

EEBB is an interdisciplinary program that doesn't hold its own interviews, but most of the departments that are part of EEBB do. What department did you apply to?

I applied to integrative biology. I'm not sure if they do interviews.