SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

SadieLou

13 minutes ago, apoc19 said:

Waitlisted with a score of 12.6 committee 5A - after emailing SSHRC I found out that the top 62 applicants in the committee out of 148 were given awards. My rank was 68. Does anyone know if that means I am 6th on the waitlist? Is that how the waitlists work?

Wow, they are giving us more detail of the waitlist then last year. 

5 minutes ago, violabec said:

Nothing yet--I'm in BC. (I know my results--just waiting for the letter.)

Nothing yet, in TORONTO.  OMG. (and I don't know my results yet).

Edited by CrunchCrunch
more info

Hi everyone! I'm in Toronto (Etobicoke) and my letter arrived today. I was successful, with a score of 16.2/20 on Committee 2. Last year I scored 10.8/20 on the same committee and was (obviously) not successful. The only difference in my application this year was a reference letter from someone new, an OGS and some other awards, a publication that changed from forthcoming to published, and a few minor tweaks fleshing out the contemporary relevance of my work. All the core content remained the same.

Something kind of interesting: The envelope I received last year informing me I was not successful was small, but the one I received this year was "booklet" sized. It might be because the letter comes with a Notice of Award breaking down the amount/year and is on legal-sized paper. I don't know if this means anything, but I thought I'd share it with you all anyways. 

Best of luck to everyone still waiting! 

Edited by istoryk

18 minutes ago, apoc19 said:

That's what they told me ( I wasn't aware of sub-committees either)

Wonder what the odds are of getting an award while being #6

Very interesting - who exactly did you email to get this info? Just fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca?

And I'd reckon your odds aren't too bad given your spot on this list. Lots of things could happen that would cause someone to give up their funding, and only 6 people need to do it.

25 minutes ago, apoc19 said:

Waitlisted with a score of 12.6 committee 5A - after emailing SSHRC I found out that the top 62 applicants in the committee out of 148 were given awards. My rank was 68. Does anyone know if that means I am 6th on the waitlist? Is that how the waitlists work?

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla
repeat

Congrats to all who heard good news today :)

Last night, I had a terrible nightmare that I got a 5/20. The letter they sent looked like one of those grade school rubrics and the committee had circled all the way down the "bad" column.

Someone put me out of my waiting misery!

4 minutes ago, mwigg said:

Very interesting - who exactly did you email to get this info? Just fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca?

And I'd reckon your odds aren't too bad given your spot on this list. Lots of things could happen that would cause someone to give up their funding, and only 6 people need to do it.

Damn, that email address has an auto-reply saying four days for a response.

Is this finals period for other people? I forget. I need to write a 20-page paper and it's completely impossible.

PLEASE GOD JUST PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY.

10 minutes ago, istoryk said:

Hi everyone! I'm in Toronto (Etobicoke) and my letter arrived today. I was successful, with a score of 16.2/20 on Committee 2. Last year I scored 10.8/20 on the same committee was (obviously) not successful. The only difference in my application this year was a reference letter from someone new, an OGS and some other awards, a publication that changed from forthcoming to published, and a few minor tweaks fleshing out the contemporary relevance of my work. All the core content remained the same.

Something kind of interesting: The envelope I received last year informing me I was not successful was small, but the one I received this year was "booklet" sized. It might be because the letter comes with a Notice of Award breaking down the amount/year and is on legal-sized paper. I don't know if this means anything, but I thought I'd share it with you all anyways. 

wow does this mean we can tell acceptance/rejection based on envelope size??

10 minutes ago, SadieLou said:

Is this finals period for other people? I forget. I need to write a 20-page paper and it's completely impossible.

PLEASE GOD JUST PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY.

omg i feel you. i have 4 papers to write but i literally cannot focus. zzz

Update: my friend in Vancouver got her news (via Canada Post) today. I get my mail late (4pm-ish), so I don't know if I'll get my letter or not.

6 minutes ago, Hattt said:

Hey all, for those at uAlberta,

FGSR Awards office knows! I managed to get a fellowship, which is exciting news!

Best,

Thanks for sharing! Did you email FGSR or call? If email what address did you use? Thanks! 

29 minutes ago, violabec said:

Update: my friend in Vancouver got her news (via Canada Post) today. I get my mail late (4pm-ish), so I don't know if I'll get my letter or not.

oh wah. nice. curious if ottawa > vancouver takes longer or ottawa > yellowknife takes long (where my letter is sent to)

1 hour ago, CrunchCrunch said:

Nothing yet, in TORONTO.  OMG. (and I don't know my results yet).

Argh. Same here. Plus U of T email is down!

1 hour ago, istoryk said:

Hi everyone! I'm in Toronto (Etobicoke) and my letter arrived today. I was successful, with a score of 16.2/20 on Committee 2. Last year I scored 10.8/20 on the same committee and was (obviously) not successful. The only difference in my application this year was a reference letter from someone new, an OGS and some other awards, a publication that changed from forthcoming to published, and a few minor tweaks fleshing out the contemporary relevance of my work. All the core content remained the same.

I'm also in Etobicoke and no letter! ?

33 minutes ago, violabec said:

goddang. what time does internal mail at UBC get delivered my letter is probably there 

25 minutes ago, spicytunaroll said:

oh wah. nice. curious if ottawa > vancouver takes longer or ottawa > yellowknife takes long (where my letter is sent to)

How are East Coast folks still without letters when people in Vancouver are getting them!

Thought I'd bring my gradcafe account temporarily out of retirement to contribute to the wealth of SSHRC knowledge this year.

Got my results in the mail today on Vancouver Island, BC. I was waitlisted, which I had already found out from my department. I was on committee 5 (if that's where poli sci goes), and my score was 10.1/20, which, gathering from some of the other scores, is probably the lower borne of the waitlist (I think I've seen a 12.6 and a 12.9.) For those dedicated to the envelope theory, mine was a medium-sized brown envelope, which may add an interesting new level to the big envelope = SSHRC, small envelope = no SSHRC theory.

Congratulations to all those successful so far, best of luck to those on the waitlist and waiting to hear, and to those unsuccessful, I'll see you at the pity party I'm throwing at my house this Friday. I'll be providing snacks, but please bring your favourite wine and the hottest list of tracks you like to cry to.

16 minutes ago, rugox said:

How are East Coast folks still without letters when people in Vancouver are getting them!

I saw a post on twitter from someone in Halifax that got their letter. Seems it's just Ontario that's being goofy

39 minutes ago, lhommependu said:

goddang. what time does internal mail at UBC get delivered my letter is probably there 

Call your department, maybe?? 

2 hours ago, apoc19 said:

Wonder what the odds are of getting an award while being #6

First, I'm sorry you did not get the award. That's such tough news to get. (Having been there, I know). As for the odds, impossible to say; I do know people who have been on the list and received awards, but I don't know their place on the list. My score was similar last year and I did not get an award but it was a different committee.