SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

SadieLou

Admittedly, I've been stalking the mailman through my window for the past half hour. As soon as he left my doorstep, I grabbed the letter from SSHRC. Looks like mine will be forwarded too! In the letter, it stated that this year, there were 534 direct applicants, and 251 applications were forwarded to the national committee. Best of luck to  everyone!

1 hour ago, RailRoadToad said:

Admittedly, I've been stalking the mailman through my window for the past half hour. As soon as he left my doorstep, I grabbed the letter from SSHRC. Looks like mine will be forwarded too! In the letter, it stated that this year, there were 534 direct applicants, and 251 applications were forwarded to the national committee. Best of luck to  everyone!

Congrats! That's great. :) 

I received the letter to notify me of their forwarding my app to the national competition yesterday, and I'm studying in the UK - in case anyone is waiting by the postbox the letters should be arriving this week. 

23 hours ago, RailRoadToad said:

Well this is going to help my anxiety....congrats though! 

Update: not passed on to the national competition. I'm really bummed about it since I won the CGS last year (had to decline because I wasn't accepted anywhere). My application had even improved from last year too. It's just such a dejecting and random process...

On 2/22/2017 at 5:13 PM, FacelessMage said:

Update: not passed on to the national competition. I'm really bummed about it since I won the CGS last year (had to decline because I wasn't accepted anywhere). My application had even improved from last year too. It's just such a dejecting and random process...

Sorry to hear this :( Can you still apply again next year? I remember reading the last year is I think the 3rd year of a Ph.D. program? I'm applying in my 2nd right now.

On 2/21/2017 at 2:06 PM, RailRoadToad said:

I was wondering about this too. My letter doesn't say 534 "direct" applicants, it just says "among the 534 applications reviewed...". Have been trying to figure out how these numbers work. Does the 251 recommended apps include only foreign ones? Because last year they gave out a total of 450 awards, Canadian and foreign. The total foreign awards given last year was 43 awards and 10 "unknown" (what?) 

I'm busy trying to figure out what the hell kind of chances I have based on these stats.

17 hours ago, SadieLou said:

Forwardeeeeeeeeeed!

Congrats! I'm also a direct applicant in GA but I haven't heard anything yet. 

Edit: Just checked my mail and it was there. Not forwarded! Better get started on next year's application. 

Edited by Langdon Alger

On 2/25/2017 at 6:11 PM, 1Q84 said:

Sorry to hear this :( Can you still apply again next year? I remember reading the last year is I think the 3rd year of a Ph.D. program? I'm applying in my 2nd right now.

I was wondering about this too. My letter doesn't say 534 "direct" applicants, it just says "among the 534 applications reviewed...". Have been trying to figure out how these numbers work. Does the 251 recommended apps include only foreign ones? Because last year they gave out a total of 450 awards, Canadian and foreign. The total foreign awards given last year was 43 awards and 10 "unknown" (what?) 

I'm busy trying to figure out what the hell kind of chances I have based on these stats.

You'll only stress yourself out more by trying to figure this out. It's about 15-20% chance for foreign applicants and yes, the pool is the count for direct applicants and does not include applicants applying through Canadian institutions. Best to just forget about this and keep yourself engaged with other things until April.

So, I'm a direct applicant from a university with a quota (forwarded to Ottawa) and I've moved since applying. Does anyone know who I can contact about updating my address? I really don't want to miss the notification letter in April...

Also, I'm curious if anyone knows what my chances are like as a student applying through a Canadian school, already attending the program (first year). One of my classmates said that they prefer to fund new/incoming students, rather than those who will be entering their 2nd+ year...

8 hours ago, laura_ said:

So, I'm a direct applicant from a university with a quota (forwarded to Ottawa) and I've moved since applying. Does anyone know who I can contact about updating my address? I really don't want to miss the notification letter in April...

Here is the info I got when they informed me about my application being forwarded : 

"The result of this competition will be sent by mail to the correspondence address provided in your application.  Please provide us with any changes to your address by sending an email to fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca."

8 hours ago, laura_ said:

Also, I'm curious if anyone knows what my chances are like as a student applying through a Canadian school, already attending the program (first year). One of my classmates said that they prefer to fund new/incoming students, rather than those who will be entering their 2nd+ year...

From what I've heard, you should be competing with people entering their second year. But I don't know how much people from each year can receive a scholarship... you should take a look at topics from previous years :) 

On 3/3/2017 at 6:33 AM, rugox said:

You'll only stress yourself out more by trying to figure this out. It's about 15-20% chance for foreign applicants and yes, the pool is the count for direct applicants and does not include applicants applying through Canadian institutions. Best to just forget about this and keep yourself engaged with other things until April.

Ha I know... I had set it aside in my mind until April but this recent letter took me by surprise and upset my careful compartmentalization. I definitely have many things to keep me busy until the actual announcement!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've heard people mention that they receive their "score" on the initial letter from SSHRC, but I was just reviewing my letter and I can't see the score anywhere. Any idea where to find this information?

2 hours ago, texpatriate85 said:

Hi all,

I've heard people mention that they receive their "score" on the initial letter from SSHRC, but I was just reviewing my letter and I can't see the score anywhere. Any idea where to find this information?

Which "initial" letter are you talking about ? The one that states you're forwarded to the national competition ? The results will be announced by the end of April, that's when we should know about our scores.