SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

SadieLou

5 hours ago, SadieLou said:

When I went back, I looked closer: it's actually a DVD.com rental, so not junkmail at all. DVD.com ships first class. Maybe . . . maybe first class sometimes is delivered separately from the rest of the mail? Sometimes?

All the letters that were in my images for the informed delivery email did show up today and there were also medium sized envelopes. So, I wouldn't be surprised if SSHRC letters would show up in these images. Fingers crossed for tomorrow...

2 hours ago, spicytunaroll said:

if i don't get anything by tomorrow i have no idea what the weekend is gonna be like. lol. sshrc WHYYYYY

Lol yep. I mean USPS does Saturday delivery, but if it doesn't come then, it's gonna be a rough Sunday.

6 hours ago, rugox said:

Congrats on the award and your persistence, that's exactly the scenario I'm looking for. 

Thanks, I stand corrected though, it might have even been my 4th attempt.  I was waitlisted last year; rejected by my department the year before; and waitlisted as a direct applicant the first time.  Just keep at it.  Good luck!

I got a letter today.  I got the doctoral fellowship, the letter says.  Much rejoicing.

But it's confusing as hell.  I have three questions about what I have do to accept it.  If any of you can help, I appreciate it.

1. So to get the award, do you have to send an email to accept the award?  

2. Regarding the "direct deposit form", they ask you to return it by snail mail.  What?  Don't they need all this stuff quickly?  Is there a deadline?

3. Regarding "the Request for Instalment and reinstatement of Award form", we see a Request for First instalment box.  And then it has a start of award line where you fill in the blank.  It's passed May 1st as of today.  Can you still request the start of the award to be May 1st?  This is so confusing.  If they mailed out notifications on April 28, how can anyone get it for May 1st?  What are all of you doing with this issue?

Thanks and good luck to those still waiting! 

PS I'm overseas (not in Canada) so it's more complicated obviously and longer wait times, different systems etc.

Edited by Tyler Michaels-Matthews

Just popping back into the thread this year (I was on this forum over the two previous years, and I understand how difficult the waiting can be!)

I'm checking for a friend who was wait-listed this year, receiving a score of 11.9 from committee 4 (Education, linguistics, psychology, social work). We are trying to find out if she still has a chance of getting the fellowship. Can others from committee 4 let us know their scores and grant status? (So far I've just seen one post from a committee-4 fellowship recipient with a 13.4).

Also, a quick note of encouragement for those who were wait-listed or rejected. I was rejected with an 8 my first year applying as a direct applicant. Last year (1st year of PhD) I was offered a fellowship, which was upgraded to a CGS a few months later. So a lot can change even within a few months. I think what made the difference for me last year was having a strong reference letter from my current supervisor, going through 8 detailed drafts  of the proposal with several profs, and also emphasizing my non-academic work experience. Hang in there and keep trying everyone! 

1 hour ago, solala said:

Just popping back into the thread this year (I was on this forum over the two previous years, and I understand how difficult the waiting can be!)

I'm checking for a friend who was wait-listed this year, receiving a score of 11.9 from committee 4 (Education, linguistics, psychology, social work). We are trying to find out if she still has a chance of getting the fellowship. Can others from committee 4 let us know their scores and grant status? (So far I've just seen one post from a committee-4 fellowship recipient with a 13.4).

Also, a quick note of encouragement for those who were wait-listed or rejected. I was rejected with an 8 my first year applying as a direct applicant. Last year (1st year of PhD) I was offered a fellowship, which was upgraded to a CGS a few months later. So a lot can change even within a few months. I think what made the difference for me last year was having a strong reference letter from my current supervisor, going through 8 detailed drafts  of the proposal with several profs, and also emphasizing my non-academic work experience. Hang in there and keep trying everyone! 

Hey, I posted above, but I got a 13 on committee 4. Ended up with a fellowship.

how did you find out that you were upgraded?

Edited by Hattt

56 minutes ago, rugox said:

Damn it, still no SSHRC letter in USPS Informed Delivery.

Same. Maybe it's extra thick and so needs to be hand-sorted?

Just to provide another data-point for those on the waitlist, my application to committee 5 got a score of 12.9/20 and SSHRC just emailed me back saying that I'm #2 on the waitlist.

Hey everyone,

My letter arrived in London (UK) yesterday. To my pleasant surprise, I received a CGS. As someone who's been just scraping by and sliding further into debt over the last few years, this comes as quite a psychic relief.

Some data for posterity:

I received a score of 15.3 from committee 1 (fine arts/literature) as a direct applicant. I'll be starting my PhD this fall. My MA application, a couple years ago, was unsuccessful. I've had no academic publications--just one conference presentation and a couple of literary publications (which I can't imagine made much of a difference). I know my referees were quite generous with their assessment letters, and I suspect that made a sizeable impact--but then, who can really tell.

I've heard so many stories of people submitting virtually identical application packages one year to the next and receiving vastly different scores. It is, as has been said above, largely a crapshoot. Whether that makes disappointments feel duller or sharper is another question. Best of luck to all still waiting!

3 hours ago, rugox said:

Damn it, still no SSHRC letter in USPS Informed Delivery.

Same but I am kind of chuckling that someone in the UK received their letter already... 

Also note the ID email says: "The information below contains images of the letter-sized mail that will be arriving soon."

Edited by 1Q84

3 minutes ago, SadieLou said:

True, but somebody mentioned that at least one non-standard letter was scanned?

Yeah, I did receive non letter-sized mails in my image. However, it may be that international mails are treated differently...When I first applied, I remember receiving my regular mail delivery and then receiving a second delivery for my SSHRC letter on the same day.

14 minutes ago, rugox said:

When I first applied, I remember receiving my regular mail delivery and then receiving a second delivery for my SSHRC letter on the same day.

Now this is a fascinating new wrinkle... guess I'll be out checking my mailbox twice a day now.

2 minutes ago, riverrr said:

I cannot believe that someone in the UK received their SSHRC letter while I, in Toronto, have not. 

It's been five business days out of an estimated 4-6 business days for standard Canada to U.S. letterpost, so I doubt they've expedited anything international, either.

1 minute ago, SadieLou said:

It's been five business days out of an estimated 4-6 business days for standard Canada to U.S. letterpost, so I doubt they've expedited anything international, either.

The waiting is making me crazy! I just want to know already, one way or another.