SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

SadieLou

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

You get mail on the weekends??

Yep, I thought that was USPS nation-wide...?

55 minutes ago, rugox said:

SadieLou and 1Q84, my mail arrived today! Awarded a doctoral fellowship! For those trying to figure out waitlist, my score is 12.89, committee 4.

CONGRATS!!!! So happy to hear you got it and it was good news :) Where are you located, again?

19 hours ago, turkergirl said:

I emailed SSHRC about my place on the waiting list. Please see reply below. I have 21 people ahead of me.... That doesn't bode well, does it?  Either way, I'm a bit confused re: the difference between the scores I was given by the two adjudicators -- I mean, if the second adjudicator had ranked me a little bit higher, it might have made a significant difference:

Committee 1A

Scores (2 members): 7.6 and 4.5 (out of ten)
Total Score: 12.1/20
Success rate and rank necessary to be offered award in the National competition: 
      42.1 % Success rate 
    Rank necessary to be offered award:  74/176 
    The top 74 applications in Committee 1A where offered a Doctoral Award
Your Rank: your application ranked: 95/176

who exactly did you email? 

I emailed this address: fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca

They said it could take up to 4 working days for me to hear back from them, though I did get a detailed response within 24 hours.

20 hours ago, SNS said:

Does anyone have waiting list stats? Like, on average, how many people on a given waiting list end up getting an award? 

I asked for something akin to this when I emailed SSHRC, but they responded with: 

"As the chances of additional offers being made depend on a variety of factors, it is impossible to predict if and when such offers would be made. Please rest assured that SSHRC will contact you in the event that funding should become available."

More waiting....

5 hours ago, SadieLou said:

Nothing in Informed Delivery in Atlanta.

Same in LA...

Um, so have we confirmed that unsuccessful applicants also receive mail notifying them of that (especially at the same time as success applicants?) Or do they either not mail anything, or mail it at a later date?

1 minute ago, 1Q84 said:

Same in LA...

Um, so have we confirmed that unsuccessful applicants also receive mail notifying them of that (especially at the same time as success applicants?) Or do they either not mail anything, or mail it at a later date?

I assumed that people with numbers who were not successful must have gotten them from their letters?

6 minutes ago, SadieLou said:

I assumed that people with numbers who were not successful must have gotten them from their letters?

Mmm oh right. I must've breezed over those... only saw waitlist and successful apps. 

21 minutes ago, SadieLou said:

It arrived! No SSHRC this year. But I'm working on ramping up my CV for next year. :)

Sorry to hear! I'm inspired by your positivity though :)

Edit: mail just came and nothing for me. Am I literally the last person on earth waiting?

Edited by 1Q84

3 hours ago, SadieLou said:

It arrived! No SSHRC this year. But I'm working on ramping up my CV for next year. :)

I recommend writing single-authored manuscripts in low to low-medium quality journals. You will undoubtedly get a couple of super mean reviews (one reviewer told me my writing was incomprehensible or even worse the horrible desk reject experience :() but nothing separates you from your peers like publishing low-impact manuscripts that nobody will ever read. 

On 5/6/2017 at 0:52 PM, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Nope :(

Nothing in my Informed Delivery email... hoping we both get ours today, though!

For those still waiting:

SSHRC just sent me this:

"We ask that applicants wait two weeks from the mail-out date for results before contacting SSHRC about receiving their results in an alternate format, to allow for any potential delays. If, by either this coming Friday or next Monday, you have not received your results package, you can request to receive your results electronically. To do so, please contact fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca."