Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
SadieLou

SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

592 posts in this topic

Finally got the letter! 16.6/20. Committee 3, got a CGS, but will decline for a fellowship since I am in Cali.

Oh my god what a journey. Thank you folks for keeping me insane throughout the process. xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those that have sent an acceptance email to SSHRC, how long was it before you received notification of receipt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, lhommependu said:

For those that have sent an acceptance email to SSHRC, how long was it before you received notification of receipt?

 Sent the acceptance email at about 4pm PST last Thursday. SSHRC sent me confirmation of receipt at about 4am (PST) the next day. It was faster than I expected.

Edited by violabec

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

For those still waiting:

SSHRC just sent me this:

"We ask that applicants wait two weeks from the mail-out date for results before contacting SSHRC about receiving their results in an alternate format, to allow for any potential delays. If, by either this coming Friday or next Monday, you have not received your results package, you can request to receive your results electronically. To do so, please contact fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca."

 

Ugh so there's a possibility of one more weekend of no news. How terrible is this system...

4 hours ago, spicytunaroll said:

Finally got the letter! 16.6/20. Committee 3, got a CGS, but will decline for a fellowship since I am in Cali.

Oh my god what a journey. Thank you folks for keeping me insane throughout the process. xx

CONGRATS!!!

 

Edit: Sigh got my letter. Bad news for me... I'm joining the "preparing for next year" club! Congrats to all who got it this year.

Edited by 1Q84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lhommependu said:

For those that have sent an acceptance email to SSHRC, how long was it before you received notification of receipt?

Are we allowed to send the request for instalment form via email?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm "downgrading" my CGS for a SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship. Got admitted into Syracuse for the Fall. 
Hope this helps someone on the waitlist for a CGS, if that's how it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-05-06 at 0:22 PM, SadieLou said:

It arrived! No SSHRC this year. But I'm working on ramping up my CV for next year. :)

Sorry to hear it. I applied 5 times before even making it to the wait list. Good luck with your application for next year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I am really starting to think it's been lost in the mail. Still nothing in Toronto.

That's crazy!  Maybe think about asking SSHRC to re-send? Are other Toronto-based applicants in the same boat? I'm in Vancouver and received my letter last Wednesday.... Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently off doing fieldwork so I had to wait a bit to have my partner pick up my letter and read it to me. 16.8, with a cgs offer! For anyone doubting how much of a crapshoot this can be, last year I was rejected with an 11.2, and my application didn't change as much as you'd think it would have to (having completed a year, I had a strong letter from my advisor, I had a book review published, an extra conference presentation, and submitted my first co-authored manuscript). Good luck to those reapplying!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if I missed them scanning through the posts, but anyone here submitted to committee 3? I was waitlisted at 12.1 and awaiting an email from SSHRC regarding my position/rank. Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, turkergirl said:

That's crazy!  Maybe think about asking SSHRC to re-send? Are other Toronto-based applicants in the same boat? I'm in Vancouver and received my letter last Wednesday.... Good luck. 

Already did. They won't do it .. yet. I at least confirmed they have the right address, but they said I have to wait until next Monday before I can ask them to give me the result in some other manner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Schopenhauerfanboy said:

I'm "downgrading" my CGS for a SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship. Got admitted into Syracuse for the Fall. 
Hope this helps someone on the waitlist for a CGS, if that's how it works.

I wonder how it works... For those out of country who win the cgs (congrats!) but have to downgrade, does that mean that they bump the fellowships up? If so, I think it's probably harder to move up if waitlisted. Because, who's going to decline an award altogether? (Obviously it happens, but I wouldn't think too often...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Already did. They won't do it .. yet. I at least confirmed they have the right address, but they said I have to wait until next Monday before I can ask them to give me the result in some other manner. 

Hope you're not going too crazy. The reference letter that my supervisor sent to me for my package never arrived in the mail, so he had to send it straight to SSHRC. Mail loss is REAL! Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Already did. They won't do it .. yet. I at least confirmed they have the right address, but they said I have to wait until next Monday before I can ask them to give me the result in some other manner. 

If the letter doesn't come by Monday, they will give you the results via email. This has happened to me before. They sent me a locked document and the password in a separate email.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rugox said:

If the letter doesn't come by Monday, they will give you the results via email. This has happened to me before. They sent me a locked document and the password in a separate email.

Wish they took into account region. It should ot take two weeks for it to arrive in Toronto :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My letter finally arrived today. Waitlisted with a score of 12.7/20 from committee 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I got my letter on Friday. My rank was 15.7 and I'm offered SSHRC doctoral. According to comments of those who got CGS, it seems my rank was good enough to get CGS (I saw a cooment in this forum that someone with rank 15.5  got CGS), but I was not in year 1 or 2 of my phd, so I was offered doctoral SSHRC. I'm happy though.

BTW., my last year rank was 11.2 and I was waitlisted,

Best of luck to all of you.

Edited by SSHRC 2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2017 at 6:51 PM, rugox said:

Are we allowed to send the request for instalment form via email?

I asked about this in my acceptance e-mail--I'll let you know when I hear back from them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, storiesofsnow said:

I asked about this in my acceptance e-mail--I'll let you know when I hear back from them!

Thanks but I already emailed and heard back! If you are still wondering, yes you can send them via email.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone still waiting in toronto...?

 

Canada post saying that they can't do anything either without tracking :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, rugox said:

Thanks but I already emailed and heard back! If you are still wondering, yes you can send them via email.

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-5-8 at 7:49 PM, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I am really starting to think it's been lost in the mail. Still nothing in Toronto.

I think in a previous post you mentioned that you're at York? You can call FGS and they'll tell you. That's how I found out my results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey folks in the states, are y'all requesting the money to be deposited in a canadian account or an american? i am a lil confused as to what i should do... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ToopysRevenge said:

I think in a previous post you mentioned that you're at York? You can call FGS and they'll tell you. That's how I found out my results.

I actually called them last week and found out I am waitlisted :/ I am anxious to know where I rank and crossing my fingers that they got things mixed up lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now