SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

SadieLou

9 minutes ago, spicytunaroll said:

this is too much. :( also, my letter will be sent to yellowknife so that's gonna take so long. i am in an american institution, will they inform my university's award person? and will the award person tell my department head? is that how it works?

Just in case you didn't know : the Michael Smith form doesn't appear right away when you open the portal, you have to click "Create new form".

(But I don't believe the form has anything to do with the fact that we got the award or not. Don't worry about it).

Is there someone in Yellowknife who can open the letter for you ? Maybe you should contact your school, they might not know now about the results but they sure will be notified soon. If you explain your situation, I'm sure someone can tell you about the results without waiting for the mail. 

Edited by Brillantine11

1 hour ago, spicytunaroll said:

this is too much. :( also, my letter will be sent to yellowknife so that's gonna take so long. i am in an american institution, will they inform my university's award person? and will the award person tell my department head? is that how it works?

At US institutions the school isn't involved - it's all you 

16 hours ago, spicytunaroll said:

Ah icic. And so I have to tell my department about it then? interesting...

If you are successful, you would just need to get a signature from your training/graduate studies director so that SSHRC is informed of your standing in the program. They can then go through with the payment process for you and they will deposit it straight to your bank account.

1 hour ago, CrunchCrunch said:

I'm happy it's Friday.  Do we think letters are going out next week?  Does this mean people will actually receive letters next week?  

I have no idea. ... But this wait is brutal. 

12 minutes ago, CrunchCrunch said:

But post is better than email, I think.  At least you can't obsessively refresh.

True that! HOWEVER--my friend, who was successful last year, said that she got an email from her university notifying her of "the award" before she got the SSHRC snail mail ...

41 minutes ago, violabec said:

True that! HOWEVER--my friend, who was successful last year, said that she got an email from her university notifying her of "the award" before she got the SSHRC snail mail ...

Really? What university?  I'm not surprised.  It seems like every university has different policies.  Maybe if you do hear from the Uni first it's a good sign...

4 hours ago, CrunchCrunch said:

I'm happy it's Friday.  Do we think letters are going out next week?  Does this mean people will actually receive letters next week?  

Next week it seems, usually there are people who will find out when the letter went out or when it will be sent out but no news so far.

6 hours ago, rugox said:

If you are successful, you would just need to get a signature from your training/graduate studies director so that SSHRC is informed of your standing in the program. They can then go through with the payment process for you and they will deposit it straight to your bank account.

awesome. thank you so much! :)

7 hours ago, CrunchCrunch said:

Really? What university?  I'm not surprised.  It seems like every university has different policies.  Maybe if you do hear from the Uni first it's a good sign...

It was UBC. But not the department. The awards office notified her.

i guess it'll be next week, then. Good luck y'all! :)

2 hours ago, violabec said:

It was UBC. But not the department. The awards office notified her.

i guess it'll be next week, then. Good luck y'all! :)

How exciting.  Now I really want to email the award's officer (Monday, of course).  Good luck everyone!

14 minutes ago, misswan said:

Anyone received a letter yet? (I'm studying overseas so I might expect mine a few days later than everyone else.)

Thanks all 

SSHRC has not yet tweeted about the letters. ... Once they do, I suspect it will take a couple of days.

For the last few years SSHRC has announced on twitter when the letters had been sent out.  An applicant this year pointed this out, and SSHRC "liked" the tweet.  See also LAST YEAR's mail-out announcement tweet.  Setting a push notification for @sshrc_crsh might be an idea.

Edited by schnert

Mailed on the 26th and a 1-2 week wait?! Blatant false advertising... notice of second round selection totally said notification in April. 

7 minutes ago, 1Q84 said:

Mailed on the 26th and a 1-2 week wait?! Blatant false advertising... notice of second round selection totally said notification in April. 

I suspect giving this length of time is SSHRC covering for any potential delays on Canada post's end.  But otherwise, yeah.

24 minutes ago, rugox said:

Someone asked on Twitter and SSHRC replied saying this week. The letter will probably go out likely today or tomorrow!

Gah, don't get my hopes up! If this is indeed the case there is a chance that some of us in the states would hear before the end of the week!