SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

SadieLou

I was informed by my grad coordinator about the results. I was awarded a CGS. I asked earlier in the day if they had any news and he said he hadn't received any but would let me know once he did (he did about an hour later). I'm at U of T and 2phd by the way. 

For those interested, I made it to the national competition last year but was unsuccessful. I was also unsucccessful with Trudeau and Vanier (made it both to Montreal and Ottawa) this year. These scholarship competitions are seriously crapshoots so for anyone who is unsuccessful and can try again next year, don't let these results discourage you - you couldn't literally submit the same application next year and be successful. Congrats to those who are successful, and all the best to those patiently waiting. 

At UBC and I haven't heard anything yet. I contacted my department (they hadn't heard anything), and also emailed Faculty of Grad Studies but haven't heard back. I'm hoping to hear back from them on Monday based on what other UBC students have said in previous years...

2 hours ago, Dykastra89 said:

I was informed by my grad coordinator about the results. I was awarded a CGS. I asked earlier in the day if they had any news and he said he hadn't received any but would let me know once he did (he did about an hour later). I'm at U of T and 2phd by the way. 

For those interested, I made it to the national competition last year but was unsuccessful. I was also unsucccessful with Trudeau and Vanier (made it both to Montreal and Ottawa) this year. These scholarship competitions are seriously crapshoots so for anyone who is unsuccessful and can try again next year, don't let these results discourage you - you couldn't literally submit the same application next year and be successful. Congrats to those who are successful, and all the best to those patiently waiting. 

Was this your department coordinator? The schools definitely have the results but some are willing/able to inform students, others are not. Which is obviously very frustrating.

Edited by CrunchCrunch
Add comment

3 hours ago, CrunchCrunch said:

Was this your department coordinator? The schools definitely have the results but some are willing/able to inform students, others are not. Which is obviously very frustrating.

Yes, it was my department coordinator. It's pretty inconsistent and unfortunate that some departments don't inform their students.

10 hours ago, Dykastra89 said:

Yes, it was my department coordinator. It's pretty inconsistent and unfortunate that some departments don't inform their students.

Could be completely wrong, but maybe it depends on what we indicated on our online forms. I completed the "correspondence address" section, which says: Complete this section only if you wish your correspondence to be sent to an address other than that of your current position. So maybe my university did not receive my results.

20 hours ago, howlx said:

Western emailed me to let me know that SSHRC notified them with the results. I've been waitlisted. Better than being rejected, and at least I was awarded OGS earlier today, so I'm happy either way!! Good luck everyone!

Really? Howlx, was it an official email from edaley2@uwo.ca or pmenzie@uwo.ca? Or was it from your department?

I am from Western and I didn't get any email about the SSHRC result. But I did get an email from OGS on Friday morning! Ah.... This scares me now... Is it because I am not successful? :( omgggg

10 minutes ago, jennyeee said:

Really? Howlx, was it an official email from edaley2@uwo.ca or pmenzie@uwo.ca? Or was it from your department?

I am from Western and I didn't get any email about the SSHRC result. But I did get an email from OGS on Friday morning! Ah.... This scares me now... Is it because I am not successful? :( omgggg

Another Western student here--the e-mail came from Erin Daley (for me at least, but I assume that's true across the board?)

Congrats on the OGS, btw! That's great news :) 

52 minutes ago, storiesofsnow said:

Another Western student here--the e-mail came from Erin Daley (for me at least, but I assume that's true across the board?)

Congrats on the OGS, btw! That's great news :) 

So you heard back about SSHRC as well? Was it a good news for you? :D

Why am I the only one who didn't get the email... wow (and I didn't get OGS... I got waitlisted!)

Edited by jennyeee

1 hour ago, jennyeee said:

Why am I the only one who didn't get the email... wow (and I didn't get OGS... I got waitlisted!)

Yep, good news thankfully! Weird that you didn't receive an e-mail though...it might be worth checking in with Erin about? They obviously have the results and are willing to share them, so it can't hurt to ask. 

And sorry for misinterpreting that! Still, being waitlisted is an achievement (especially when the application process for these things is such a crapshoot!)

5 hours ago, jennyeee said:

My email came from Erin as well. You should check your student centre account and look under 'external scholarships' or something like that. It lists your awards and it should tell you what your SSHRC status is. Best of luck :)

16 hours ago, storiesofsnow said:

Yep, good news thankfully! Weird that you didn't receive an e-mail though...it might be worth checking in with Erin about? They obviously have the results and are willing to share them, so it can't hurt to ask. 

And sorry for misinterpreting that! Still, being waitlisted is an achievement (especially when the application process for these things is such a crapshoot!)

12 hours ago, howlx said:

My email came from Erin as well. You should check your student centre account and look under 'external scholarships' or something like that. It lists your awards and it should tell you what your SSHRC status is. Best of luck :)

Thank you to both of you for letting me know!!! :D AND congrats to both of you for your SSHRC! Hope you guys can celebrate over the weekend!

12 hours ago, spicytunaroll said:

how long does it take for mail to get from ottawa to yellowknife y'all think? lol just looking for an estimate

Hmmm ... maybe 3 working days? So, Tuesday?

I'm starting to feel a bit discouraged that some people know their results. I'm wondering if Unis are just giving the results to the successful peeps.

@jennyeee I'm also from Western but didn't get an email. You can go to student center and check under "Graduate External Scholarships" to see if you got the award. I found out I got the SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship this way when Erin Daley only emailed me about OGS. Not sure what the disparity is though (maybe they were going alphabetically and clocked out mid-way? Maybe they prioritized OGS and CGS?)

@storiesofsnow and @howlx; if you don't mind my asking, did you both get the CGS/waitlisted for CGS or the Doctoral Fellowship? I'm trying to figure out why I didn't get an email (and am really hoping I wasn't accidentally awarded lol...). 

35 minutes ago, violabec said:

Hmmm ... maybe 3 working days? So, Tuesday?

I'm starting to feel a bit discouraged that some people know their results. I'm wondering if Unis are just giving the results to the successful peeps.

Unfortunately, some schools will inform successful applicants individually but tell them not to share until everyone gets their results from SSHRC....

Very anxious! Others studying in the States--do you know if we'll have to get anything signed by a supervisor or registrar? Concerned that I'll be gone for the summer by the time the news comes!

Edited by catsandbooks

18 minutes ago, catsandbooks said:

Very anxious! Others studying in the States--do you know if we'll have to get anything signed by a supervisor or registrar? Concerned that I'll be gone for the summer by the time the news comes!

See activation of payment here: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/TriRTA-TriBFR_eng.asp

You will need a signature of a supervisor and someone else from the school (grad director, awards officer, etc). Good news is funds will be by direct deposit! 

On 2017-04-28 at 5:16 PM, apoc19 said:

Anyone from Queen's have similar news?

Yes....heard from the director of my department Friday night at about 6:30 pm. (In a message that somehow went to my junk mail and I only discovered by a fluke!)

I am in my 2nd year of the PhD and was awarded the CGS for 3 years. Or so he "unofficially" said. I still don't believe it. Won't, until I see the actual letter. :blink:

For what it is worth, last year I was waitlisted for the smaller, 2 year doctoral award. Note: this year's proposal was almost identical. The only real difference was that I had some first year PhD grades on the transcript. (I am a returning student who had been out of school for a while before my return as a PhD candidate, but my MA grades were all good, so you wouldn't think that would be super important.) Also, I had my supervisor and a current prof write recommendations, rather than my MA supervisor and my current supervisor. But again, I'm sure these letters were comparable. Meanwhile, I did nothing to the proposal itself except maybe change a comma. I had worked so hard on that #$(%* thing the first time round that neither I, nor my supervisor, could figure out a way to improve it. So in desperation, we just forwarded it again! 

If you weren't chosen this year, don't give up hope; it could still happen for you next year. Good luck to all who are still waiting to find out. It is a crazy system. I really feel there should be coordination and a streamlined process so people don't have to go nuts with all the waiting.  

57 minutes ago, genderboi said:

See activation of payment here: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/TriRTA-TriBFR_eng.asp

You will need a signature of a supervisor and someone else from the school (grad director, awards officer, etc). Good news is funds will be by direct deposit! 

Eek! I assume I can't get a digital signature. I hope it comes next week! Crossing my fingers. Don't want to delay flying only to find out I didn't get the award. :wacko:

I called the Awards Office at the Faculty of Grad studies at my university this Friday to ask if they'd received the results. She carefully skirted around the answer and said it would be more "fun" for me to find out by "snail mail". (note: I didn't give her my name, so I can't even play with the possibility that by fun, she means I may have been successful). Oh my. Looks like I'll be waiting in anticipation for a little longer with a few others here! :rolleyes: