SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

SadieLou

5 hours ago, violabec said:

I'm starting to feel a bit discouraged that some people know their results. I'm wondering if Unis are just giving the results to the successful peeps.

The notification process seems idiosyncratic between schools and for what it's worth, my student account says I got the Doctoral Fellowship and I didn't get an email, yet people on the waitlist at my school seem to have been notified.

48 minutes ago, RailRoadToad said:

I called the Awards Office at the Faculty of Grad studies at my university this Friday to ask if they'd received the results. She carefully skirted around the answer and said it would be more "fun" for me to find out by "snail mail". (note: I didn't give her my name, so I can't even play with the possibility that by fun, she means I may have been successful). Oh my. Looks like I'll be waiting in anticipation for a little longer with a few others here! :rolleyes:

I'm no quite sure where the fun is in all this hahahahahah 

1 hour ago, RailRoadToad said:

I called the Awards Office at the Faculty of Grad studies at my university this Friday to ask if they'd received the results. She carefully skirted around the answer and said it would be more "fun" for me to find out by "snail mail". (note: I didn't give her my name, so I can't even play with the possibility that by fun, she means I may have been successful). Oh my. Looks like I'll be waiting in anticipation for a little longer with a few others here! :rolleyes:

Wow, that's messed up

Got a notification from our graduate secretary on Friday that my application was successful ?

I just now went through the 2016 thread (because I'm neurotic and won't believe it's real until I actual have the physical letter) and it looks like people started getting emails on a Friday, Ontario got physical letters on Monday or Tuesday, and west coast got physical letters Wednesday or Thursday. So hopefully everyone should know their results by the end of this coming week. 

7 hours ago, rugox said:

Unfortunately, some schools will inform successful applicants individually but tell them not to share until everyone gets their results from SSHRC....

It's beginning to look that way, so far it sounds like those who have been informed are indeed successful.  

2 hours ago, CrunchCrunch said:

It's beginning to look that way, so far it sounds like those who have been informed are indeed successful.  

Those who've heard news are mostly reporting success. But if you haven't heard anything I don't think you should assume lack of success.  Whether or not anybody tells you in advance really does seem to depend on the school and even the department within the school. So some will not know for sure until the mail comes; others might get emails tomorrow or the next day from their departments. Crossing fingers for as many as possible. 

4 minutes ago, Writeswell said:

Those who've heard news are mostly reporting success. But if you haven't heard anything I don't think you should assume lack of success.  Whether or not anybody tells you in advance really does seem to depend on the school and even the department within the school. So some will not know for sure until the mail comes; others might get emails tomorrow or the next day from their departments. Crossing fingers for as many as possible. 

Statistically speaking, that's not really possible; overall, the success rate (and failure rate) is around 50%.  I hope as many people HERE get good results, and as soon as possible.  I looked at Canada Post delivery speed, and it is painfully slow.  2 business days for the same city, 3 business days for the same province and 4 for the country, and that's not including the day it was sent!  

9 minutes ago, CrunchCrunch said:

Statistically speaking, that's not really possible; overall, the success rate (and failure rate) is around 50%.  I hope as many people HERE get good results, and as soon as possible.  

Yes, of course you are correct and that is what I meant -- that I hope as many people here as possible learn a positive result and don't have to wait too long. But also, not having heard yet does not mean one did not get an award, or at least not necessarily. Because if your school is one that doesn't report results by email in advance of snail mail, you'll have to wait either way. 

Oh...and last year I was informed on the first day that people began hearing that I did not get an award. So not all early news is good news. It just depends. 

Edited by Writeswell

15 minutes ago, Writeswell said:

Yes, of course you are correct and that is what I meant -- that I hope as many people here as possible learn a positive result and don't have to wait too long. But also, not having heard yet does not mean one did not get an award, or at least not necessarily. Because if your school is one that doesn't report results by email in advance of snail mail, you'll have to wait either way. 

Oh...and last year I was informed on the first day that people began hearing that I did not get an award. So not all early news is good news. It just depends. 

Totally.  It could still go either way.   Early news is not always good news, that's fair and true.  Still, I think it's "fun" to try and figure out their temporal correlations and patterns.  :D

1 hour ago, spicytunaroll said:

fellow friends who are in the states omg the next few days are gonna be PAINFUL.

I'm not going to (obsessively) check my mailbox until Thursday.

But then I looked at that CV (whatever that thing is) in my portfolio and it has my address listed wrong so maybe I won't even get my letter  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by 1Q84

9 hours ago, Writeswell said:

Yes....heard from the director of my department Friday night at about 6:30 pm. (In a message that somehow went to my junk mail and I only discovered by a fluke!)

I am in my 2nd year of the PhD and was awarded the CGS for 3 years. Or so he "unofficially" said. I still don't believe it. Won't, until I see the actual letter. :blink:

For what it is worth, last year I was waitlisted for the smaller, 2 year doctoral award. Note: this year's proposal was almost identical. The only real difference was that I had some first year PhD grades on the transcript. (I am a returning student who had been out of school for a while before my return as a PhD candidate, but my MA grades were all good, so you wouldn't think that would be super important.) Also, I had my supervisor and a current prof write recommendations, rather than my MA supervisor and my current supervisor. But again, I'm sure these letters were comparable. Meanwhile, I did nothing to the proposal itself except maybe change a comma. I had worked so hard on that #$(%* thing the first time round that neither I, nor my supervisor, could figure out a way to improve it. So in desperation, we just forwarded it again! 

If you weren't chosen this year, don't give up hope; it could still happen for you next year. Good luck to all who are still waiting to find out. It is a crazy system. I really feel there should be coordination and a streamlined process so people don't have to go nuts with all the waiting.  

That's amazing! congrats. I emailed the grad chair in my department and he said they had not received news yet. I wonder if this is also because the grad assistant was away on friday? it's all so idiosyncratic

Well, folks, I really hope we're all successful this week, and I REALLY hope we find out soon! That SSHRC would definitely come in handy, let me tell you. Are there any other Montrealers waiting to hear from FRQSC as well? Apparently those results won't be out till mid-May. I'm actually starting to have insomnia due to the stress of waiting (mind you, I'm an insomniac so not a big surprise there).

Our mail delivery is always super late -- like 4 or 5pm. sigh.

7 hours ago, apoc19 said:

That's amazing! congrats. I emailed the grad chair in my department and he said they had not received news yet. I wonder if this is also because the grad assistant was away on friday? it's all so idiosyncratic

I'm betting you're right. Crossing fingers for you today. 

The program I'm entering come fall is in Toronto but for the time being I'm living in the UK. I'm a direct applicant (my application was passed on to the "national competition"), and the university I provisionally designated as my "Organization to award the degree" in my SSHRC application package (when I had yet to hear back from either of the programs I applied to) is not the one whose offer I ended up choosing. I suspect this means there's no way for me to find out whether I was successful before the post comes... which I doubt will get here before the end of the week, if that. Looks like I'll be among the last to find out! :( 

As a side note, while I'd been reassured by a number of people that no major issues would arise in the event of my choosing a program other than the one designated on my SSHRC application--i.e. that were I successful I could take the award at the program I'd chosen--this longer-than-expected wait's given a lot of room for my anxieties to grow. I haven't counted myself out of the race, have I?

Edited by FakeDoctor92

1 hour ago, ochaa said:

Well, folks, I really hope we're all successful this week, and I REALLY hope we find out soon! That SSHRC would definitely come in handy, let me tell you. Are there any other Montrealers waiting to hear from FRQSC as well? Apparently those results won't be out till mid-May. I'm actually starting to have insomnia due to the stress of waiting (mind you, I'm an insomniac so not a big surprise there).

Our mail delivery is always super late -- like 4 or 5pm. sigh.

I'm waiting for FRQSC too. I really hope the results will be out before mid-May.

And you're not alone with insomnia. I wake up at night thinking about the results. In fact, I spend all week (last week) waiting and not being able to do anything productive!

Just heard from the UOttawa Awards office, I didn't get it. Waiting to find out if I've been waitlisted or not. For other UOttawa people, it would seem you can now email the Awards Office directly to inquire. 

Anyone else at UWaterloo? The original e-mail we received when our applications went to the national level indicated that SSHRC will notify us directly of our result, but I saw a Waterloo professor congratulating their student on winning a SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship via twitter on Friday. The not knowing is just driving me crazy!

27 minutes ago, CCBB said:

Just heard from the UOttawa Awards office, I didn't get it. Waiting to find out if I've been waitlisted or not. For other UOttawa people, it would seem you can now email the Awards Office directly to inquire. 

Thanks for the information. I wrote to the Awards Office.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get it. I cross my finger hoping you are on the waitlist!

Hi there,

I'm a direct applicant at an American university (in NYC) and am waiting to hear back about the results of the doctoral competition. Have any other direct applicants heard back, yet? I'm also wondering HOW we will find out: via email? Snail mail? Also, do we find out through the university in which we are enrolled or does SSHRC contact us directly? 

22 minutes ago, preambling said:

So, my result just came in the mail in Montreal. I wasn't successful, but apparently I'm on the waiting list. Does anyone know how often the waiting list thing comes through?

In my MA program 3 people were waitlisted and 2 of them ended up getting it. And i remember it happened pretty quickly, maybe a month or so later. 

30 minutes ago, preambling said:

So, my result just came in the mail in Montreal. I wasn't successful, but apparently I'm on the waiting list. Does anyone know how often the waiting list thing comes through?

I'm so sorry. I was in this position last year and was so disappointed. Hang in there (and also to others who have been similarly informed). 

I think it often happens that waitlisted people are awarded the scholarship late. It didn't happen for me, and I wouldn't count on it, that's for sure, but it's still possible. It all depends on how many people decline (usually due to better offers or having rethought the whole idea of grad school, or having decided to defer, or whatever.)