PhD Applicants Fall 2017

aj_h

Hello everyone, this thread was pretty popular last year so I thought it may be interesting to those of us applying for PhD programs for the Fall of 2017! Just copying the formatting / information from last year. Feel free to add your info, interests, and then we can all worry together next spring about acceptances!

Undergrad School: University of Michigan
Undergrad GPA: 3.49
Major/Minor: History

If Applicable:

Grad School: Master of Health Informatics - University of Michigan
Grad GPA: 4.0

GRE or Other Test: GRE: 98th percentile verbal, 70th percentile quant, 98th percentile written
Experience/Research: 5 years project management in health insurance. 2 years research assistant at Michigan. 3 first author publications . 1 under review publication as first author, 2 conference talks and 3 conference posters.

Letters should be excellent.

I'm applying to various health policy and management / health services research PhD programs, primarily interested in combining organizational theory and management with research on health information technology.

Applied: Harvard, Yale, UPenn, Berkeley, Johns Hopkins, UMichigan, UNC, Indiana (IUPUI), Brown, UWashington, Minnesota, Northwestern, Maryland, UCLA, BU.
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hopefully my quant GRE doesn't hurt me too bad and my quantitative publications make up for it! 

Hey there! Thanks for setting this up! Interesting to see who else out there is applying this season. Here's my profile:

Undergrad School: Top university in Canada
Undergrad GPA:
3.94 (cumulative), 4.00 (for my major)
Major/Minor: Psychology (honors) and social studies of medicine

If Applicable:

Grad School: Master's degree in a social sciences field, thesis-based, top university in Canada
Grad GPA: Haven't got any final grades back yet, I just started

GRE or Other Test: GRE: 99th percentile verbal, 89th percentile quant, 98th percentile written
Experience/Research: I did two honors theses during my undergrad degree, and then worked full time for a year and four months as an RA. I'm also working as an RA right now while I do my masters degree. My name is on six publications with two as first author. I have two articles under review, both as third author, and three articles in preparation (two as third author and one as second author). Outside of research, I have four years of volunteer experience in crisis management / active listening and worked for two years in a supportive / informational capacity with first year university students.

Applied: Johns Hopkins (Mental Health), UW (Health Services), UNC (Health Policy & Management) --- All are PhD programs
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I would have applied to more places but I really can't find other researchers who have matching interests. If it was for a masters I'd be more willing to branch out but for a PhD I think I need to stay as true as possible to my research interests or else it'll be a tough 4-5 years.

Best of luck to everyone!! I genuinely wish this could work out for everyone! 

• 4 weeks later...

Undergrad 
Major/Minor: Production Engineering

Grad School: MS Information Systems, Stevens institute of technology, NJ
Grad GPA: 3.5

GRE or Other Test: GRE: 82nd percentile verbal, 70th percentile quant, 82nd percentile written
Experience/Research: 10 years of work experience in regulatory compliance and FDA regulations in different pharma companies including the pharma giant GSK. Certified project management professional, lean six sigma green belt certified. Have developed  systems for process management while working with GSK. Founder and trainer of a non-profit organisation and owns a Manufacturing industry. I believe it’s never too soon to consider a career in academia—nor too late

I'm applying to various health policy and management, Strategic management PhD programs

Applied:UMD

Pending:Harvard, Johns Hopkins, UNC,  Stockholm school of economics
Accepted:

Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'm counting on my experience in the field!

Hi everyone!

Undergrad School: State school in Virginia
Major/Minor: Psychology/Music

If Applicable:

Grad School: College of William and Mary
GRE or Other Test: GRE: 97th percentile verbal, 76th percentile quant, 93th percentile written
Experience/Research: 9 years research experience in a wide range of fields, 4 years full time study coordinator positions, 5 publications, 20+ conference presentations

I'm applying to both Epi and clinical psychology programs because my research interests (suicide prevention and Veterans health) span both, and my background is in psychology

Applied: Johns Hopkins (Mental Health), BU (Epi), UPenn (Epi), U Kentucky (Epi DrPH), VCU (Epi), U Rochester (Epi), Harvard (Psych), Florida State (Psych), Rutgers (Psych), U Utah (Psych), Miami U (Psych), Auburn (Psych)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Undergrad School: Small Liberal Arts School in PA
Undergrad GPA: 
Major/Minor: Health Sciences/Anthropology

Grad School: MPH in Epidemiology and Biostatistics in PA
Grad GPA: 3.9

GRE: 85th percentile verbal, 85th percentile quantitative, 82nd percentile analytical
Experience/Research: Working as a Graduate Research Assistant at a relevant Research Center in my school and as a TA for an Intro Epi course. Have worked on multiple projects and internships. No peer-reviewed journal publication but 2 community briefs published, working on the 3rd. Also working on my master's thesis which will be published. Worked with SAS and ArcGIS. Interested in social/environmental epi with a focus on nutrition/chronic diseases and spatial analyses.

Applying to: UNC, Yale , Pittsburgh, University of Maryland, Ohio State,  Drexel - All are PhD in Epi programs with professors with matching research interests!
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, light10491 said:

How many health policy PhD programs did you guys apply to?

Anyone hear back from Johns Hopkins for the PhD in Health Policy & Management? They said they give decisions within 4 weeks of the deadline (which was December 1).

Should be hearing back in the next week? Also Hopkins does not interview.

I applied to the Mental Health PhD at Hopkins but even though the deadline was 12/1, it says the "supporting document deadline" is 1/1, so I expect the committee won't meet until January. 

On 12/22/2016 at 11:40 AM, light10491 said:

How many health policy PhD programs did you guys apply to?

Anyone hear back from Johns Hopkins for the PhD in Health Policy & Management? They said they give decisions within 4 weeks of the deadline (which was December 1).

Should be hearing back in the next week? Also Hopkins does not interview.

I only applied to Harvard. It's my first choice program, so if I don't get in, I'll try to gain more experience and reapply there and to other programs in a few years.

11 hours ago, PhDApplicant1115 said:

I only applied to Harvard. It's my first choice program, so if I don't get in, I'll try to gain more experience and reapply there and to other programs in a few years.

I took this approach this year as well, but for Epi not Health Policy. The waiting is miserable!!

Undergrad: Bachelor of Law degree in China, GPA 3.8

Graduate: Master of Counseling Degree from Arizona State University, GPA 3.64

Research: completed a thesis and played important roles in a few projects.

Experience: clinical counseling, higher education, management

Applied: Johns Hopkins (Mental Health), Emory U, NYU, U Maryland, U Minnesota, U Memphis

I was recently interviewed by phone by U Maryland. Have not received admission yet but thought some information is always good. I applied to their Public Health (PhD in Community and Behavioral Science) program for research interest match and the location (Baltimore). Anyone has experience with or has heard of the program? The most important thing to me is job prospect and  being able to publish while in school.  Is it good in these aspects? A secondary factor which I consider important is the influence of the program, since it affects employment further away from the campus. The school is about 10 years old. Is it known to people in this field at all?

Thank you for anyone who can share some information!

Hello

What do you think about my profile and my chance to get to the good Epidemiology Ph.D program?

BSc in Public health first rank university in Iran GPA: 3.60

First ranked student in national MSc entrance test for Epidemiology among 1100 students .Average response 80 percent 

MSc in Epidemiology 3 years First rank university in Iran GPA 3.88

Thesis with score 4 in cardiovascular epidemiology

2 submitted paper

2 letter to editor (Farsi) 

2 Farsi paper

5 poster presentation

5 month researcher in cohort study

8 month internship

, STATA and SPSS and work with national database 

consultancy in 6 Master thesis

TOEFL ibt not good

GRE I will take but I think not good in Verbal!!!!!!!

Edited by epidemiology1

Never mind got rejected by UMD yesterday :( Hope to hear more good news soon, fingers crossed!

On 1/4/2017 at 11:33 AM, xyzpsych said:

Undergrad: Bachelor of Law degree in China, GPA 3.8

Graduate: Master of Counseling Degree from Arizona State University, GPA 3.64

Research: completed a thesis and played important roles in a few projects.

Experience: clinical counseling, higher education, management

Applied: Johns Hopkins (Mental Health), Emory U, NYU, U Maryland, U Minnesota, U Memphis

I was recently interviewed by phone by U Maryland. Have not received admission yet but thought some information is always good. I applied to their Public Health (PhD in Community and Behavioral Science) program for research interest match and the location (Baltimore). Anyone has experience with or has heard of the program? The most important thing to me is job prospect and  being able to publish while in school.  Is it good in these aspects? A secondary factor which I consider important is the influence of the program, since it affects employment further away from the campus. The school is about 10 years old. Is it known to people in this field at all?

Thank you for anyone who can share some information!

Hello,

Hopkins mental health seems popular in this group. I applied to a few epi programs. February and March seem far away. I don't expect decisions until then. Best of luck!

Undergrad School:  Top ten liberal arts
Major/Minor:  Biochem                                                                                                                                                   Undergrad GPA: 3.5 

Grad School:  MD
Experience/Research: 1 yr Med research and 1 yr in pharma

Applied:  Hopkins, Harvard, Columbia Epi
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

So far I have had phone interviews at Boston University and Brown, with Brown then reaching out to invite to recruitment day 1/27. I also received an email from a faculty member at Johns Hopkins asking to set up a phone interview time within the next few weeks. No other word yet.

Good luck to everyone out there! The waiting game is not easy!

31 minutes ago, aj_h said:

So far I have had phone interviews at Boston University and Brown, with Brown then reaching out to invite to recruitment day 1/27. I also received an email from a faculty member at Johns Hopkins asking to set up a phone interview time within the next few weeks. No other word yet.

Good luck to everyone out there! The waiting game is not easy!

Out of curiosity, what programs at Boston and Hopkins? Waiting suuuuucks!

1 hour ago, stereopticons said:

Out of curiosity, what programs at Boston and Hopkins? Waiting suuuuucks!

Health services research at BU, HSR & Policy at Hopkins. I was surprised to hear anything this early, honestly!

I guess I'll join in on the fun...

Undergrad School:  Private school in PA
Major/Minor:  Economics
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Experience/Research: 1.5 years at a health plan as a health economics analyst, about 3 years as research assistant for a well-known think tank. Published 7 peer-reviewed journal articles (1 first author), 1 article under review (revise and resubmit), 3 in preparation for submission (will be first author on 1, possibly 2), 7 peer-reviewed reports, 1 first-authored book chapter, and 2 conference presentations (1 podium, 1 poster). Interested broadly in delivery and payment innovation, particularly in primary care.

Applied:  Health services research and health policy PhD programs at Harvard, Johns Hopkins, UNC, Michigan, U Penn, Pitt, Minnesota
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Only update so far is that I heard from Johns Hopkins about scheduling an interview last week, so I'm looking forward to chatting with them!