Am I too late?

elizabauer

Hello!

I decided a couple weeks ago that I wanted to take the plunge and apply for grad school for Fall '17. I updated my CV, decided on programs, and contacted recommenders. I also already have gre scores from senior year of college that are still good (January 2015). However, I have not contacted potential POIs, visited anywhere, or started my personal statement(s). Am I way too late in the game to get in anywhere this application cycle?

Thank you!

It's definitely not too late to get in touch with POIs, but at this point you really need to focus on writing your personal statement, which will probably take a few drafts to polish.  Are you applying to MAs or PhDs?

Definitely not too late because some deadlines don't happen until next semester, whereas others happen in the next month or two. It truly depends on when the deadline is for the specific programs you're looking at. I'd say start contacting POIs now though so at least you have been in touch with them and know whether it's a good fit or not.

It's definitely not too late. As @bioarch_fan said, some deadlines aren't until next semester. Start working on gathering all of your application materials now and then submit them all together. I think that makes the crazy process a little easier.

Just curious, I see several people posting about POI's. What in the world does this mean? Are they related to LOR's (letters of recommendations)?

It is certainly not too late, just don't lollygag, some programs have Dec 1 deadlines. I thought I would chime in as I noticed in your laundry list you didn't mention writing sample. You may have a well polished piece in the can from UG work, but you might want to give it peek, or--if you don't have something ready to go--find something nearly ready you can bring up to snuff.