Critical Language Scholarship - 2017 Cycle

mrs12

Hey, is anyone else applying to CLS this year? I'm almost done with my application for Turkish. I think I have a pretty good application, but you never know. 

I was a recipient last year, but had to withdraw due to security concerns in Turkey. However, if anyone else is applying and would like some advice or my two-cents, just let me know! It might not be worth much, but I am pretty sure I know a bit more about the system having applied so many times now. 

Edited by mrs12

I am applying again! I was a recipient in 2015 so I am hoping to get it again and brush up on my Chinese before the Fulbright grant starts (if I get that as well).

• 2 weeks later...

I just submitted an hour ago. Good Luck and remember if you don't get it this time to definitely try again next year! I didn't receive the grant until my second try?

I want to second what Hobakie said! I didn't get the CLS until my third try! So always keep trying if you don't get it, but I know of plenty of people who DO get it for Beginner or on their first/second attempts. <3

How do I know my recommendations have gotten in? They have a status tracker within the application but the status hasn't changed and I don't want to keep pestering my professors. 

Also who you all get your recommendations from? Language teachers only? Or professors in other fields besides your language? One of each?

They used to request that one LOR was from a language professor in the language you were applying for who could attest to your skills, and/or a language professor in another language if you'd never taken the language before. Now it looks like they don't specify, but I still asked for one from my last Turkish teacher and one from my academic adviser who knows me well and knows why this program is necessary for me academically and professionally. 

If the status tracker in your application hasn't changed, I would presume the letters haven't been sent in. It's a tricky thing trying to get letters of recommendation, but since it's passed the deadline I think it's very valid to remind your people about that fact and check to make sure they're still willing to write letters. (Or if, by chance, there was an issue. Sometimes they think they submitted it but it wasn't actually fully submitted. I've had that happen before.)

Ok thank you! One of them has been submitted so I'll go see the other professor tomorrow.

But both of my LORs are not from language teachers. My school doesn''t offer the language :P I hope that doesn't hurt me too much. 

Since they no longer specify, I can't imagine that it could hurt you! Besides, in the past if you hadn't taken the language your language recommendation was about how well some other language professor viewed your aptitude and dedication -- something that I think can mostly be seen through grades and your transcript, etc. 

I think you'll be fine @I Think I can!

On 11/23/2016 at 1:27 PM, I Think I can said:

It's only been a week since I submitted the application and the program is on my mind 24/7. What is everyone else doing to put this out of their minds?? 

Finals?. I'm a senior in university so it's been busy with thesis projects and classes. I also have a few other fellowship applications I'm applying to so that eats up a lot of time. 

Sophomore year when I got it the best thing for me was to completely ignore it. I didn't look at anything related to it and forgot about the dates they announced the semi finalists and finalists. You are just gonna drive yourself and if you do plus in the case you do not get it, it can be a hard blow when you are super worked up about it. 

Yes, I agree with @hobakie, though I know it's really hard. Obsessing doesn't help right now. But sometimes you just can't help it. I try to channel that obsession into useful ways if I can't set it aside. If I'm really worried about this summer, say, I'd try to do research on backup plans and funding and various internships or anything else that might be interesting. Finding other things that you like help take the edge of the need to get this one amazing change, etc.

Right now I'm mostly focusing on next year for me, because I'm a senior I've got to plan on jobs or fellowships next year and that's consuming a lot of my time beyond just my thesis.

I am a graduate of international affairs, and I've applied for the intermediate level Japanese program. I have about 2.5 years of formal education in Japanese and spent 6 months abroad in Japan during my undergrad. Does anyone have any experience with the qualifications for those applying to the intermediate level japanese program? I know it's really competitive, but is it the case that beginner level speakers get preference over the intermediate levels? Thanks for any help!

3 hours ago, lady_sayrune said:

I am a graduate of international affairs, and I've applied for the intermediate level Japanese program. I have about 2.5 years of formal education in Japanese and spent 6 months abroad in Japan during my undergrad. Does anyone have any experience with the qualifications for those applying to the intermediate level japanese program? I know it's really competitive, but is it the case that beginner level speakers get preference over the intermediate levels? Thanks for any help!

For any of the languages their isn't a quota of advanced to beginner to intermediate that they have to meet. They are honestly more concerned with fit and whether or not you will continue the language whether it be studies or future career. For example a program site could have all beginners if it was the case that the beginners all had a better fit in this year's application pool. Of course this isn't always the case since you learn just as much from fellow students as teachers. But overall there isn't a preference. 

Personally, I've always felt applying as a beginner can be tough because part of your application is showing dedication to the language, and taking classes is one of the easiest ways of showing that. But as Hobakie said, there really isn't a quota or anything, and they accept students first before organizing site placements, if that helps reassure you at all. 

19 hours ago, hobakie said:

For any of the languages their isn't a quota of advanced to beginner to intermediate that they have to meet. They are honestly more concerned with fit and whether or not you will continue the language whether it be studies or future career. For example a program site could have all beginners if it was the case that the beginners all had a better fit in this year's application pool. Of course this isn't always the case since you learn just as much from fellow students as teachers. But overall there isn't a preference. 

2 hours ago, mrs12 said:

Personally, I've always felt applying as a beginner can be tough because part of your application is showing dedication to the language, and taking classes is one of the easiest ways of showing that. But as Hobakie said, there really isn't a quota or anything, and they accept students first before organizing site placements, if that helps reassure you at all. 

Okay thank you for chiming in! I don't have the option at my university to take more formal courses as I've already completed equivalent level course elsewhere. I was mainly concerned that by marking I was not planning on taking courses next year (but noting elsewhere that I am participating in private discussion/tutoring)  my application would be disguarded! 

I just hate the waiting...  

4 hours ago, lady_sayrune said:

Okay thank you for chiming in! I don't have the option at my university to take more formal courses as I've already completed equivalent level course elsewhere. I was mainly concerned that by marking I was not planning on taking courses next year (but noting elsewhere that I am participating in private discussion/tutoring)  my application would be disguarded! 

I just hate the waiting...  

Yeah I feel you completely. But with Christmas break coming up it'll fly by quickly! 

Oh no, not at all! Everyone comes at these applications from different angles. For many of the languages it's impossible to HAVE taken formal classes at university, and for others it's still not common, so that's not holding you back at all as long as you are doing something or can argue that you will be doing something with the language and that this isn't a one-off summer program for you. 

I've been looking for a forum for this cycle of CLS applications! I applied for beginning Indonesian. If anybody else applied for Indonesian or knows someone who has, I would love to hear from you! I'm so nervous, hopefully I'm not the only one.