Critical Language Scholarship - 2017 Cycle

mrs12

14 hours ago, loamwrld said:

Hey everyone, I'm a Russian Intermediate CLS finalist for 2017. I've been really overwhelmed with various university and travel stuff over the past 3 weeks and I made a dumb mistake filling out the post-acceptance forms (I forgot to send my official transcript until the morning after the hard deadline). I've been told that my application is going to go "back into review", and I really have no idea what to expect, as I've never done any program at the level of seriousness as the CLS. I've done all I can to make it up. Does anyone have any experience with this, or know what to expect? I don't feel like this is the sort of thing that eliminate me from the program, but I'm still semi-worried. 

Thanks. 

I've honestly haven't heard of that happening before. Did they say they rescinded your finalist status? Maybe it was just to pressure you for the late transcript?

Got bumped from alternate to finalist for beginner Urdu yesterday! So happy to know I'll be in India this summer. It means I'll have to rescind the internship offer I accepted, but it's worth it to me. Good luck to the other alternates still waiting on final word!

4 hours ago, witty_phrase_here said:

Got bumped from alternate to finalist for beginner Urdu yesterday! So happy to know I'll be in India this summer. It means I'll have to rescind the internship offer I accepted, but it's worth it to me. Good luck to the other alternates still waiting on final word!

I was wondering when the post April 5th good news would start arriving. Congratulations

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2017 at 8:27 AM, hobakie said:

I'm a bit confused? Why aren't you able to do both?

Yeah, sorry for the confusion! I'd be deciding between CLS and my summer FSI program. If I chose CLS and bumped the FSI internship to autumn, I wouldn't be able to start Boren on time. As it is, I just found out today I'm listed as an alternate for Boren (goddammit). So the ambiguity persists. 

Still, at this point I've decided to just move ahead with CLS because the other programs can be more flexible. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, calpal said:

Is it time to give up as an alternate?

We got our flight itenerary to D.C. and then on to our destination (and home). At least, I got mine. Dunno about the other destinations/languages. 

Not sure if that's a sign of the window closing for alternates or not.