Critical Language Scholarship - 2017 Cycle

mrs12

Would anybody who has gotten CLS be able to talk about how living in your country of interest looks when applying? I used to live in Indonesia and I really emphasized that on my application. I feel like it should help, but I don't know to what extent. I also know some fellowships prefer if you haven't lived in your country of interest prior to applying.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! Just signed up for this thread. I applied to the Korea program a while back and I am psyched!! Anybody else aiming for Korea? I have no experience studying Korean...I hope that won't hurt my chances. I have wanted to go to Korea for years now, but could never afford to. That's why this would be an awesome opportunity:)

I heard some other scholarship groups put together spreadsheets with screen names, language applied, date they heard back, year in college, major and other related info. It helps with stats, timelines, and helps to give others an idea of where they stand and whats kind of going on. 

What do you guys think? Would you like to have one for CLS 2017? Or is the forum enough?

I think that a spreadsheet would be much more subjective with the CLS since most of it is about your essays and how successful you were at arguing that you'll continue with the language and will use it professionally/academically. A lot of those other statistics play a part, I'm sure, but I don't know if it'd be as helpful as the spreadsheets are for other programs/fellowships/scholarships.

True. 

Does anyone know who or what kind of people the application reviewers are?

> Will the specific languages application be reviewed only by people that have something to do with that language and culture? (Have taught the language, have lived where is is spoken)

> Do they have a lot of experience go abroad?

Just curious because sometimes when I'm asked to write a paper about something concerning my major I have to write it differently depending on who will be reading it. Like I can use more engineering lingo with someone in my field but would have to reword it for someone who might not have studied it beyond what they teach in college level physics 1 and 2. 

Edited by I Think I can

Hi everyone! I also joined up to get in this thread too. After reading the CLS 2016 cycle thread, I'm already little anxious (aren't results about week away from now?)

@I Think I can I talked to my advisor about applying for CLS and she mentioned receiving an offer to read applications for this year, which she declined due to an upcoming maternal leave. I don't think she had any experience with any of the designated critical languages - now that I think of it, I should have kept that in mind when writing my application... (oops)

I submitted my application for Japanese. Best of luck to everybody!

On 12/28/2016 at 0:09 PM, Mateng said:

@Blau Hello! I'm applying for Korean too! I'm feeling so anxious since mid January is almost here! I think they said we hear back around January 15th for semifinalists?

Hey there!:) So I haven't heard anything yet...I'm assuming that's normal since we haven't quite hit mid January...crossing my fingers for us!

@okazu Wow that puts a whole new perspective on things.

I'm getting too nervous! 

Is this the first time applying to a study abroad program for anyone? Or have they been accepted into other things like Gilman or Fulbright before? 

It's my first time applying to study abroad.

@I Think I can it's my first time applying for a study abroad program, too.

I haven't studied abroad yet, but I've been lucky enough to go on two short term trips abroad with my high school class. Has anyone studied abroad before? To ask a super broad question, what was it like?

5 hours ago, susurrus said:

I haven't studied abroad yet, but I've been lucky enough to go on two short term trips abroad with my high school class. Has anyone studied abroad before? To ask a super broad question, what was it like?

I've also been part short study trips abroad with other organizations, but neither of them were genuine "study abroad" programs per se (the longest was three and a half weeks long) - so I'm in the same boat as you!

From what I've seen when snooping around online, CLS is extremely intensive. A significant amount of time in the weekdays seems to be spent in-class, with language buddies, and on homework assignments (with a host of other classwork I'm sure I haven't listed). There are, however, group excursions, and the weekends seem to be generally open for travel with friends and/or (depending on your housing situation) for spending time with your host family - so you're really getting 24/7 immersion in the target language. There's also some sort of language pledge that some take to speak only in the target language for the entire duration of the CLS program.

5 hours ago, susurrus said:

@I Think I can it's my first time applying for a study abroad program, too.

Its honestly really different for everyone. The first time I studied abroad was with CLS it was my first time out of the country and in China so everything seemed new and exciting. I literally tried any and everything.

But this was much different from my other abroad experience where I lived in Beijing for six months. China didn't seem as glamorous as it was before and little things started to bother me especially since I could understand pretty much everything at that point? now I can't wait to go back. Someone told me that there are stages to being abroad or living abroad. The first one is the glitzy starry eyed stage. Then you have the annoyed fed up stage. Then the understand and finally acclimation stage. CLS was def the first one for me but Beijing was the second (not all of the time I loved Beijing as well but it's definitely a place you have to grow to like)

Also I don't really co~sider CLS a true abroad experience. For one you are only there to learn as much of the language and culture as possible so there aren't as many opportunities to do anything else. Also you are coddled quite a bit with the host fam and resident advisors and teachers. If I got lost I'd have help immediately. But when I went abroad on my own this wasn't exactly the case. I was a lot more independent and not by choice, I just had to be if I wanted to enjoy myself if I am mak8ng any sense. Overall it will be extremely meaningful HOWEVER do not let your CLS experience be it good or bad, be your final and only opinion of your host country. Each time I go to China I find something different or something that I didn't realize before so little by little I'm getting different pieces to complete a whole puzzle instead of just a part of it.

5 minutes ago, okazu said:

I've also been part short study trips abroad with other organizations, but neither of them were genuine "study abroad" programs per se (the longest was three and a half weeks long) - so I'm in the same boat as you!

From what I've seen when snooping around online, CLS is extremely intensive. A significant amount of time in the weekdays seems to be spent in-class, with language buddies, and on homework assignments (with a host of other classwork I'm sure I haven't listed). There are, however, group excursions, and the weekends seem to be generally open for travel with friends and/or (depending on your housing situation) for spending time with your host family - so you're really getting 24/7 immersion in the target language. There's also some sort of language pledge that some take to speak only in the target language for the entire duration of the CLS program.

Everyone takes the pledge. You aren't allowed at all to speak in any other language but the target one. For my cohort alot started as soon as we landed in China. My chinese wasn't the greatest at the time but I did the same. Even if you speak in English students or teachers will answer back in the target language. Your host fam is also asked not to speak English with you.

13 hours ago, hobakie said:

Everyone takes the pledge. You aren't allowed at all to speak in any other language but the target one. For my cohort alot started as soon as we landed in China. My chinese wasn't the greatest at the time but I did the same. Even if you speak in English students or teachers will answer back in the target language. Your host fam is also asked not to speak English with you.

@hobakie Thanks for clearing that up! I shouldn't be the authority here when talking about CLS experiences. Sounds like you got a lot out of it!

I checked again on previous threads about the (approximate) dates when they heard back from the first round of decisions:

• 2016 - ~Jan. 28 (delayed)
  • 2015 - ~Jan. 13
  • 2014 - ~Jan. 16
  • 2013 - ~Jan. 10
  • 2012 - ~Jan. 07
  • 2011 - ~Jan. 10

Assuming there are no delays this year, we're right around prime time for a notification. :o

Edited by okazu

@I Think I can I've applied to study abroad and I will be going this upcoming semester. I've also received a Gilman. There are some study abroad programs that are at a similar caliber of academic intensity as CLS. For mine, I have close to 1000 pages of reading to do before I even set foot in the country. It all depends on what you want from your program. Do you want difficult classes, or a lighter courseload so you can travel around? Do you want to live in an apartment or a home stay? There are tons of programs out there, so if whether you study abroad with CLS or through another program, you have tons of options!

Edited by emari5

@hobakie Were you allowed to go out on your own? Say you finished classes for the day and did your homework quickly by 5pm does CLS let you do whatever you want with the rest of the day? Or are you required to stay in the dorm/home stay/housing they give you when not attending CLS sanctioned events and classes?

@emari5 I'd really like to know more programs! I've been having so much trouble finding them and every variation of "study abroad" I type into google takes me to the same results. Would you mind if I messaged you?

@I Think I canAmerican Councils, the organization to which we sent our application forms, might help you find something for your language: https://www.americancouncils.org/programs

Depending on your language of interest and your major, there might be other programs available for you as well. Check around your university's scholarships page and you might be able to find more information.

Speaking of which, I was snooping around again and found this tidbit:

Application Evaluation - Round 2

Deadline to Submit Evaluations
Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 11:59 p.m. U.S. Eastern/Washington, D.C. time

The end is near!

Edited by okazu

3 hours ago, I Think I can said:

@hobakie Were you allowed to go out on your own? Say you finished classes for the day and did your homework quickly by 5pm does CLS let you do whatever you want with the rest of the day? Or are you required to stay in the dorm/home stay/housing they give you when not attending CLS sanctioned events and classes?

@emari5 I'd really like to know more programs! I've been having so much trouble finding them and every variation of "study abroad" I type into google takes me to the same results. Would you mind if I messaged you?

You are definitely allowed to go out for the most part however whether you will have the energy and or time to is another story. Every Friday there is an exam plus homework and prep take a few hours each night so it's unlikely you will finish by 5.you also have to meet with a language partner twice a week. Every weekend we had the cultural excursions which are mandatory (these were fun and filled with free food so I wouldn't skip anyway!) We did have one free weekend the entire program which people used to travel or just rest/explore. 

It also partially depends on your host fam. For me I went to clubs or out at night with other students and would come back late. (12pm/1pm) is considered late in China. Everyone is in bed by 10 at the latest. But I tried not to do it often even though my host aunt didn't mind because she would worry and stay up until I returned. So I would either leave early if I went or didn't go at all. I heard some of the host fam gave curfews which you had to respect since they are opening up their homes to you. After classes you are also free to explore but but then it's was maybe 4 or 5 and I had to be back for dinner by 6 or 7. By then the sun is setting and it's dark so there isn't much time to explore. CLS doesn't forbid you from doing it it's just the way the program is run that it's hard and/or very tiring to do so.

37 minutes ago, emari5 said:

@okazu Is that the deadline to submit evaluations for the final round of eliminations? Or is that around the time we'll hear about semifinalists?

The page I looked at wasn't entirely clear. I'm assuming those are for second-round panelists - the email we received from CLS after submitting our applications mentioned that we'd get semifinalist results in January, and finalist announcements in February.

That means we'll be getting notifications for the first round by then, for sure. I suspect it's the deadline for round two evaluations - they'd have to compile and ready the second evaluations to create the list of ~500 finalists.

@okazu @emari5 Thank you!

10 minutes ago, hobakie said:

You are definitely allowed to go out for the most part however whether you will have the energy and or time to is another story. Every Friday there is an exam plus homework and prep take a few hours each night so it's unlikely you will finish by 5.you also have to meet with a language partner twice a week. Every weekend we had the cultural excursions which are mandatory (these were fun and filled with free food so I wouldn't skip anyway!) We did have one free weekend the entire program which people used to travel or just rest/explore. 

It also partially depends on your host fam. For me I went to clubs or out at night with other students and would come back late. (12pm/1pm) is considered late in China. Everyone is in bed by 10 at the latest. But I tried not to do it often even though my host aunt didn't mind because she would worry and stay up until I returned. So I would either leave early if I went or didn't go at all. I heard some of the host fam gave curfews which you had to respect since they are opening up their homes to you. After classes you are also free to explore but but then it's was maybe 4 or 5 and I had to be back for dinner by 6 or 7. By then the sun is setting and it's dark so there isn't much time to explore. CLS doesn't forbid you from doing it it's just the way the program is run that it's hard and/or very tiring to do so.

That's great how CLS makes sure you learn as much of the language as possible. 

Did they give you a sort of roommate questionnaire before pairing you with a family to see if you were allergic to any animals or if they would only be willing to take in a specific gender (perhaps for religious or cultural reasons) or someone that sleeps early?

2 minutes ago, I Think I can said:

@okazu @emari5 Thank you!

That's great how CLS makes sure you learn as much of the language as possible. 

Did they give you a sort of roommate questionnaire before pairing you with a family to see if you were allergic to any animals or if they would only be willing to take in a specific gender (perhaps for religious or cultural reasons) or someone that sleeps early?

Yep! I have pretty bad allergies so I didn't want to be around a fam that smokes or has pets. My host uncle smokes but I didn't find out until the program was almost over. He was very good about smoking when I wasn't around plus they always aired out the balcony and living room so it wouldn't bother me. They also ask if you are ok with siblings etc. You sometimes do not get exactly what you want but everyone is usually satisfied. In the case that you are not you can switch to another fam but there is usually a solid reason for doing that not just because you don't like them.

25 minutes ago, okazu said:

The page I looked at wasn't entirely clear. I'm assuming those are for second-round panelists - the email we received from CLS after submitting our applications mentioned that we'd get semifinalist results in January, and finalist announcements in February.

That means we'll be getting notifications for the first round by then, for sure. I suspect it's the deadline for round two evaluations - they'd have to compile and ready the second evaluations to create the list of ~500 finalists.

Ahhh so that deadline is for the people who review the applications?

@hobakie Thanks! If I get the program I want things to go well for everyone involved, not just for me. If my host family and classmates are comfortable and happy then we all get the most out of the experience. 

Edited by I Think I can

5 hours ago, I Think I can said:

Ahhh so that deadline is for the people who review the applications?

Yup. I'm banking on the assumption that if that's the deadline for the second round, the panelists would have to know who the semifinalists were beforehand.

Or I could be completely wrong. Who knows? :P