Critical Language Scholarship - 2017 Cycle

mrs12

After I posted the rubric link that I found from snooping around on the AIS web application portal, they've taken the rubric down. Are they watching this thread? :ph34r:

Edited by okazu

48 minutes ago, I Think I can said:

I wish we could all line up and use the sorting hat from Harry Potter. CLS can feed the hat the rubric  then they just plop it on our heads and we see what he says.  :-P

That would be the coolest thing ^^

Looking at past forums, it seems as though they send out decisions around 4 or 5 pm EST, probably as the office is closing so they don't have to deal with an onslaught of phone calls afterward lol.

10 minutes ago, Naxii said:

They didn't take it down. 

Funny - even when I log back in I'm not able to access the rubric through the link anymore.

At any rate, if decisions don't come out today, it looks like we'll be waiting until next week for any word.

36 minutes ago, ad.eundum said:

Currently stalking both this forum and the Fulbright -- both to Japan. @okazu, here's hopeing we see each other in the summer! But also -- seconded. I can't see the rubric.

:lol::lol: same! It's good to see i'm not the only Fulbright applicant applying for CLS. im doing research grant for 
China. are you doing research study or ETA?

Can't see the rubric that was linked earlier, but a quick google search led me to this: 

https://www.rcampus.com/rubricshowc.cfm?code=TX6A5A&sp=yes&

Is that the same rubric? The only thing that worries me is community service...but I don't see that being relevant unless you see it as proof that the applicant is able to work in groups or something.

If someone gets rejected are they allowed to ask what it was that resulted in the decision? Would they answer? I'm thinking no since there's a lot of applications but then they all got read individually and I should think they made some notes on what they thought about each applicant.

24 minutes ago, I Think I can said:

If someone gets rejected are they allowed to ask what it was that resulted in the decision? Would they answer? I'm thinking no since there's a lot of applications but then they all got read individually and I should think they made some notes on what they thought about each applicant.

I'm going to go with no...it's just not something they have to do, so why take the time. The results should be out any day though, right?

12 minutes ago, Blau said:

I'm going to go with no...it's just not something they have to do, so why take the time. The results should be out any day though, right?

my hunch is the 17th. The same day as the fulbright results come out. but no you cannot ask. For some languages its so competitive that there might not even be anything wrong with your app, other candidates just stood out more. 

24 minutes ago, hobakie said:

my hunch is the 17th. The same day as the fulbright results come out. but no you cannot ask. For some languages its so competitive that there might not even be anything wrong with your app, other candidates just stood out more. 

Do you know which languages are the most competitive? Please don't say Korean :)

2 hours ago, hobakie said:

Also it says on the application site that it will be undergoing "site maintenance" on the 17th.

1 hour ago, Blau said:

Do you know which languages are the most competitive? Please don't say Korean :)

It really depends. Korean and Japanese are more competitive in my opinion because there is only one program site. Maybe Japanese has two Im not exactly sure but that is literally roughly 30 spots out of hundreds of applications.

On the other hand Chinese, Arabic and a few others have more than three program site ,but they also have triple the amount of applicants. 

Personally I think the former is more competitive since you really not only have to explain why this would be useful in your career, but it would also need to be deemed worthy by the panel? For example, I think someone studying Korean literature could make a very good case about why it would be necessary in their future, but there are plenty of people studying Korean literature so someone with aspirations in diplomacy or STEM or something else more urgent could make a better claim as to why they specifically should have the scholarship. I think the languages with more program sites have more wiggle room with things like this and can get applicants studying important but not necessarily urgent fields. 

but this is solely my opinion and from what I noticed in my cohort.

Edited by hobakie

1 hour ago, FlagsFlagsFlags said:

is Russian considered one of the more competitive CLS scholarships out of curiosity?

From what I know the big three are Chinese Arabic and I would also say Russian. 

Although I think Korean Japanese and Hindi are more competitive bc there is one site

Other languages like punjabi, swahili, azerbajani or urdu I dont see as too competitive even though there is one site because there are a VERY select group of people even attempting to study these languages. I'm sure most people haven't even heard of some of them. Like i'm sure they know exactly why they are studying it and how it fits into there plans especially since most schools don't offer it. 

Edited by hobakie