Critical Language Scholarship - 2017 Cycle

mrs12

No it won't be. 

I'm thinking we hear back on the 18th though. The application page said maintenance would be on the 17th from 9 to 10 in the evening which I think means that they are going to re-upload it with information for the semifinalists and alter their applications so they can start submitting paperwork. Whether you end up being a finalist or not they start asking for stuff to get the paperwork moving so that if you end up being an alternate and a spot doesn't open up until the May or even June you and CLS won't be scrambling to get visas, health forms, etc. together in time. I heard about some people who found out they'd been moved from alternate to finalist two weeks before the orientation.

Speaking of the orientation, what goes on there. I assume they give you the information, schedules and plane tickets for each of the language sites. Is it also ice breakers to get to know your classmates? Do you get to meet and mingle with the people in other languages?

Edited by I Think I can

10 minutes ago, I Think I can said:

No it won't be. 

I'm thinking we hear back on the 18th though. The application page said maintenance would be on the 17th from 9 to 10 in the evening which I think means that they are going to re-upload it with information for the semifinalists and alter their applications so they can start submitting paperwork. Whether you end up being a finalist or not they start asking for stuff to get the paperwork moving so that if you end up being an alternate and a spot doesn't open up until the May or even June you and CLS won't be scrambling to get visas, health forms, etc. together in time. I heard about some people who found out they'd been moved from alternate to finalist two weeks before the orientation.

Speaking of the orientation, what goes on there. I assume they give you the information, schedules and plane tickets for each of the language sites. Is it also ice breakers to get to know your classmates? Do you get to meet and mingle with the people in other languages?

The maintenance thing is likely a coincidence or for the judges application portal (they use the same system) but I do think we will hear back the 17th. Since finalist are selected in February you have plenty of time for additional paperwork. After the first round they do not ask for anything nor do you have to do anything. You just sit and wait....again. 

orientation is essentially orientation lol. you just meet other people in your cohort as well as a few other languages. There are also a bunch of US department of state workshops we have to attend for info about how cls can benefit you career wise, what to expect when there, career opportunities, etc etc. It was two or three days of that plus meeting everyone.

Edited by hobakie

I worked on mine on and off from the day the application opened, to the 15th. I'm not a very good writer, so I've been spending a lot of time worrying about whether or not my essays are good enough

On 1/13/2017 at 5:04 PM, hobakie said:

:lol::lol: same! It's good to see i'm not the only Fulbright applicant applying for CLS. im doing research grant for 
China. are you doing research study or ETA?

Goodness, didn't even catch my "hopeing" type earlier, my bad. I'm shooting for research; Japan doesn't offer ETAs (likely because there is a robust English program in JET already)!

On 1/15/2017 at 5:32 PM, hobakie said:

The maintenance thing is likely a coincidence or for the judges application portal (they use the same system) but I do think we will hear back the 17th. Since finalist are selected in February you have plenty of time for additional paperwork. After the first round they do not ask for anything nor do you have to do anything. You just sit and wait....again. 

orientation is essentially orientation lol. you just meet other people in your cohort as well as a few other languages. There are also a bunch of US department of state workshops we have to attend for info about how cls can benefit you career wise, what to expect when there, career opportunities, etc etc. It was two or three days of that plus meeting everyone.

Hobakie, are you a 2nd timer for the CLS? Pretty cool considering how much you seem to know about the process :) 

I also agree it might still be tomorrow; as in, to simply notify applicants via email whether they've moved on to Round 2 or not, but also to specifically freeze the application service to both keep panicked or disappointed applicants out of the tool and also to reset whatever needs to be done; but this is just conjecture on my end at least. 

1 hour ago, ad.eundum said:

Hobakie, are you a 2nd timer for the CLS? Pretty cool considering how much you seem to know about the process :) 

I also agree it might still be tomorrow; as in, to simply notify applicants via email whether they've moved on to Round 2 or not, but also to specifically freeze the application service to both keep panicked or disappointed applicants out of the tool and also to reset whatever needs to be done; but this is just conjecture on my end at least. 

Yep, I got it in 2015.

Edited by hobakie

Hey CLS friends! I've been lurking around this forum for a while but I finally made an account so I could anxiously await the news with all of you ^_^. I'm applying for advanced beginning Hindi, but I'm just a freshman and I've never gotten anything this competitive so I'm trying not to let my hopes get too high. Still, I'm so so excited about the possibility of getting into this program!

Crossing my fingers that we find out this week!