Macro/mezzo social work - need advice

oshea_eastbay

Hi all,

I'm not planning to apply for MSW schools until next Fall, but I feel like I need to start making decisions soon to figure what I want to do.

I want to eventually work in a policy/administrative role, but I also enjoy working directly with people. I have a BA in International Studies with a minor in Economics and have a lot of academic preparation for policy work, but my post-graduate work experience is in more direct service roles. I had a case management position working in a transitional housing program for immigrant families for my first post-grad year, and now I work as a case manager in a prenatal program in a clinic that serves a mostly Latin American immigrant population.

After speaking with and learning about the work that LCSWs in my workplace do, I don't think I would want to do clinical social work as a career. While I enjoy working with people, the parts I enjoy most about my job are learning about different health and social programs in the county and transferring this knowledge to clients - I don't really want to do psychotherapy. I've heard the term mezzo social work thrown around but never got a good idea of what a mezzo social work job would look like - something with a combination of direct and macro practice? That seems ideal to me but I'm unsure how many of these jobs actually exist.

I also have a fairly strong stats/quant background and experience as a research assistant - I don't want to waste all that I learned in undergrad. I've thought about applying to macro MSW programs, but I'm afraid that my lack of macro work experience wouldn't make me a strong candidate. Would I still be able to get a macro/mezzo job post-MSW with a clinical track but if I pursued leadership/research opportunities? I also am afraid of missing out on learning clinical skills with a macro track that would be useful to know when evaluating programs/doing community organizing/etc.

Has anyone here pursued a clinical MSW track but ended up working in a macro/mezzo job? Alternatively, has anyone applied and gotten in to a macro track program with just direct practice work experience?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't want to work in mental health, with clients, don't go the micro/clinical route! 

I graduate from the U of SC MSW program in May and I'm on the macro track - my focus is on aging. I hope to get involved in aging policy (with the number of baby boomers this is a huuuuuge area). If you are interested in policy, I urge you to consider a dual-degree program. Lots of universities are offering them now. My school has three year dual degree programs - MSW/MPH and MSW/MPA. A couple of my professors are involved in policy, and have told me that no one hires social workers for that anymore - MPH is the way to go.  I happen to think an MSW/MPH is great because you get the best of both and can always shift to clinical later. 

My current field placement is with state government here and I wish I had done the MSW/MPH track, because MPA and MPH programs tend to be more policy-focused. Most of the social workers I know who are doing program management or policy are LMSWs and do not regret not being LCSWs. 

Don't let your lack of macro work experience deter you. You'll get that experience in graduate courses and field placements. 

You can always take clinical courses as electives, or take clinical classes later and work on your clinical licensure at a later date. My understanding is that this is common. Clinical licensure is a significant commitment. Most states require anywhere from 2000-4000 hours postgrad, and if you aren't getting supervised hours at your workplace, you have to pay someone for that. 

Finally, I'm not sure where you are planning to apply, but if you want to be involved in policy (and you want to stay in CA), Sacramento could be a good choice. It's also great that have strong quant/research skills. I have learned that program evaluation is one of the most lucrative areas of social work/public health. I know social workers who do it on the side and make $$$. 

Good luck!

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 10:13 AM, BunnyMeadows said:

If you don't want to work in mental health, with clients, don't go the micro/clinical route! 

I graduate from the U of SC MSW program in May and I'm on the macro track - my focus is on aging. I hope to get involved in aging policy (with the number of baby boomers this is a huuuuuge area). If you are interested in policy, I urge you to consider a dual-degree program. Lots of universities are offering them now. My school has three year dual degree programs - MSW/MPH and MSW/MPA. A couple of my professors are involved in policy, and have told me that no one hires social workers for that anymore - MPH is the way to go.  I happen to think an MSW/MPH is great because you get the best of both and can always shift to clinical later. 

My current field placement is with state government here and I wish I had done the MSW/MPH track, because MPA and MPH programs tend to be more policy-focused. Most of the social workers I know who are doing program management or policy are LMSWs and do not regret not being LCSWs. 

Don't let your lack of macro work experience deter you. You'll get that experience in graduate courses and field placements. 

You can always take clinical courses as electives, or take clinical classes later and work on your clinical licensure at a later date. My understanding is that this is common. Clinical licensure is a significant commitment. Most states require anywhere from 2000-4000 hours postgrad, and if you aren't getting supervised hours at your workplace, you have to pay someone for that. 

Finally, I'm not sure where you are planning to apply, but if you want to be involved in policy (and you want to stay in CA), Sacramento could be a good choice. It's also great that have strong quant/research skills. I have learned that program evaluation is one of the most lucrative areas of social work/public health. I know social workers who do it on the side and make $$$. 

Good luck!

Thank you for the advice!

I want to go to grad school sooner rather than later, but I might also delay it to gain some experience in policy work to make my applications stronger/make me a good candidate for the dual degree. The $$ of a dual degree scares me a bit, but it'll probably result in higher earnings in the end (I hope!).

• 2 months later...

It's been said already but if you don't want to become a therapist or mental health professional then the clinical route is not going to be the best option for you. To be honest, even if you chose an advanced generalist route you will be able to make your own opportunities. I have my BSW and am hoping to get into an advanced standing MSW program. I work for CPS and have recently found a need within my agency for a policy regarding how a workers caseload should be handled in the event they leave unexpectedly. There is nothing in writing and this has caused significant detriment to clients and to workers. I've indicated to my manager I want to take the lead on developing a policy for this specific event. In this case, that would be mezzo work. It is a policy change that impacts a larger group, but isn't necessarily a super large scale change. Ultimately you make your own opportunities and one of the best things I ever learned in my undergrad program is that the environment is full of resources. You just need to have determination, critical thinking and an open mind. :)

• 3 months later...

Hey I found this post and it's related threads very helpful! I'm also interested in "mezzo" type of work but don't know what sort of jobs are out there for this.  I suppose this could fall under the purview of "program/project development"?