Personal history and diverstiy statement

I know this has been discussed a lot before, but I still couldn't figure out how to write it. This is a description of this essay from UC Davis:

The purpose of this essay is to get know you as an individual and potential graduate student. Please describe how your personal background informs your decision to pursue a graduate degree. You may include any educational, familial, cultural, economic, or social experiences, challenges, community service, outreach activities, residency and citizenship, first-generation college status, or opportunities relevant to your academic journey; how your life experiences contribute to the social, intellectual, or cultural diversity within a campus community and your chosen field; or how you might serve educationally underrepresented and underserved segments of society with your graduate education.

I need to say that I am Vietnamese and I will apply to chemistry department. I finished my undergraduate degree in my country and MS in Korea. I don't think I have unusual or unique stories about my family, culture or community engagement that motivate me to pursue graduate degree. The only unusual thing I could talk about is that it will be almost impossible to survive if I continue my research career with a bachelor degree in my country (low income, no funding, very poor research quality). How can this situation contribute to "the social, intellectual, or cultural diversity" of my filed? Besides, in the statement of purpose, they also require applicants to " highlight your academic preparation and motivation". Certainly, if I write about my motivation, I need the content about my background from personal history, thus, how to avoid duplication?

Could anyone give me some suggestions?

Has your experience living in Vietnam, in the context of the of current relations with China, shaped your thinking on the importance of inclusion/tolerance/diversity? Did living in S Korea and possibly feeling how the people perceived the North affect your thinking? There might be something there. Of all my app requirements my diversity statement for UC might have been the most challenging component. Good luck.

Thank you for your suggestion. However, I think I have to make a connection between my background and my decision to apply for graduate school. Thus, my political or social view is not related well to my intention, especially I apply for natural science major. I still feel that my hardship in education is the most persuasive reason for me to continue my graduate study, however, it's hard not to mention it in the sop.

9 hours ago, amino1990 said:

I need to say that I am Vietnamese and I will apply to chemistry department. I finished my undergraduate degree in my country and MS in Korea. I don't think I have unusual or unique stories about my family, culture or community engagement that motivate me to pursue graduate degree. The only unusual thing I could talk about is that it will be almost impossible to survive if I continue my research career with a bachelor degree in my country (low income, no funding, very poor research quality). How can this situation contribute to "the social, intellectual, or cultural diversity" of my filed? Besides, in the statement of purpose, they also require applicants to " highlight your academic preparation and motivation". Certainly, if I write about my motivation, I need the content about my background from personal history, thus, how to avoid duplication?

26 minutes ago, amino1990 said:

Thank you for your suggestion. However, I think I have to make a connection between my background and my decision to apply for graduate school. Thus, my political or social view is not related well to my intention, especially I apply for natural science major. I still feel that my hardship in education is the most persuasive reason for me to continue my graduate study, however, it's hard not to mention it in the sop.

First, don't mention the degrees here. Mention you are Vietnamese. Second, @Quickmick's suggestions were on point, a pity you dismissed them. Maybe I can rephrase what she hinting at. When we, international students, come to the US, we encounter a new language to talk about ourselves. One of the terms we encounter is diversity. I don't know if I add diversity to my program and from what you posted it seems that you are not sure you will add to yours. But you do.

Think about you having the experience of living in a different country than your own, how that shaped your cultural resiliency. You are deciding to go to the US. Why is this? What experience in your life led you to make that decision? (Why aren't you going somewhere else?) (I think @Quickmick suggested you addressing that line). Why can't you do this degree at home? How can your personal story inform your (probably already mentioned in the SOP) academic motivation?

Now, turning to the issue of repetition. There is going to be some overlap between SOP and diversity statement. But in the latter you can be a little more emotional. Please, avoid dramatism in your SOP (as you quoted, it need to show your academic preparation and motivation).

I'm not sure if I understand your ideas. I could write about my interaction with foreigners in Korea, what I learned from them. These experiences, somehow influenced my view about my academic career. Nonetheless, I still don't know what I could contribute to the diversity of the school I apply. Everything I learned is what I received, but what could I give or offer other people?

• 3 weeks later...

I think mentioning the lack of professional opportunities in your home country is an acceptable answer, assuming you did not use this for your SOP. However, I do think it is still important to highlight how your background will help add diversity to the programs you are applying too.

For example I grew up in a very conservative southern state, but since have lived in a more liberal city. I am applying to political science schools in California (a very liberal state), so I talked about how my background has helped me understand and empathize with different points of political views etc. 

Because you are an international applicant you will add diversity to the program, so you get need to find a graceful way of saying this.