TOEFL Reading & Listening scores

Hey guys,

I recently took TOEFL IBT exam for the first time and I`m so worried about my score on Listening section, I feel like I messed it up :( And I actually was expecting to see my unofficial scores on Listening and Reading sections right after exam, I thought it will be the same thing as in GRE (in GRE you see Q & V sections results right after after the exam). First of all, I wonder why R & L sections scores are not immediately available after the exam.

Secondly, do you guys think if I contact ETS, they could send me unofficial scores on Listening section? I know it sounds like absurd, but I mean, is there anything wrong with that? I still won`t be able to use that score anywhere, isn`t that what they're concerned about? My problem is if I could have an idea of my L score, I could plan things better, since if I don`t get the result I need I will have to retake TOEFL.  

Edited by oqowa
*thought

Listening is tricky. I think many of us walk away with a funny feeling about it. I know I do because I space out in the middle of the audio sections and therefore miss questions. On my second TOEFL attempt someone started their speaking section and distracted me. BUT, I got a 28 despite my funny feeling. You might too!

And both times I took the TOEFL, I got my scores before the 10-day period -- eight and nine days, respectively. You might too!

I haven't contacted ETS about getting my scores earlier, but I am highly skeptical it is possible. I can't be sure, if there is such a thing, they might just charge you a fee for it.

The bottom-line is that you might have done better than you think and that 10 days will pass before you even know it. You just need to fight the post-test jitters. Read a book, watch a movie or a comedy show. Your anxieties will go down :)

1 hour ago, DogsArePeopleToo said:

Listening is tricky. I think many of us walk away with a funny feeling about it. I know I do because I space out in the middle of the audio sections and therefore miss questions. On my second TOEFL attempt someone started their speaking section and distracted me. BUT, I got a 28 despite my funny feeling. You might too!

And both times I took the TOEFL, I got my scores before the 10-day period -- eight and nine days, respectively. You might too!

I haven't contacted ETS about getting my scores earlier, but I am highly skeptical it is possible. I can't be sure, if there is such a thing, they might just charge you a fee for it.

The bottom-line is that you might have done better than you think and that 10 days will pass before you even know it. You just need to fight the post-test jitters. Read a book, watch a movie or a comedy show. Your anxieties will go down :)

Thank you so much for your post! It really gave me hope and warm feeling! :) 

You accurately described how I feel during Listening section! :)  I also loose my focus during Listening section and moreover, I was distracted by someone`s speaking, too! I don`t understand why some people speak so loud during Speaking section. I mean, come on, you speak in a quiet room right to the mic, why would you need to yell? :D 

It may sound silly and childish, but I`m willing to pay any fee just to get rid of the stress and anxiety I have now. I even consider to start preparing now for the second TOEFL exam.

Edited by oqowa
silent->quiet

• 1 month later...