Public Health Phd in Canada

eeee927

I'm finishing up the final term of my MPH right now at an Ontario university. I was considering applying to a few public health PhD programs (i.e. Waterloo - Public Health and Health Systems; UofT - Social and Behavioural Health Sciences) but was wondering if it's even worth it because most public health jobs only require a MPH or its equivalency.

So really the question I'm asking here is - what can you do with a Public Health PhD vs an MPH? 

Is anyone else considering doing a PhD in this field in Canada? 

If you are just finishing up your MPH, I would try to gain some field experience first and see where you belong. There are many opportunities for MPHs in and outside of Canada so I wouldn't urge you to apply to PhD unless your ultimate goal is to become an academic researcher/professor. If you are interested in working at a governmental agency, MPH should be enough. It really depends on what skills you've acquired during your graduate training. Was your specialization in epi, health promotion, policy, or environmental health? Start going to those networking events hosted by your department and see what other people are doing with their MPH. 

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have any information/know of anyone who completed the Behavioural and Population Health PhD program at Brock University? It sounds like an interesting program. However, I'm a bit concerned because of Brock's iffy reputation if people would take me seriously if I got a PhD from there. Any thoughts?