Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering - Fall 2017 PhD Application Profiles

Neuronophil

On 2/13/2017 at 0:57 PM, koab79 said:

Looks like we had some Duke admits.....  I wonder if decisions are communicated in batches or staggered, given that it is so PI dependent. I think my line in the sand for most schools will be March 10th. If it is not happening by then i am assuming rejection letter pending. 

Just got an email about from Duke about interviewing towards the end of March, so don't give up yet! It's pretty late, but it's one of my top choices.

On 2/13/2017 at 4:03 PM, meggied said:

Anybody get good news from the University of Utah?

I got an acceptance from them a few weeks ago.

On 2/15/2017 at 2:58 PM, zebratography said:

has anyone that interviewed at Northwestern last week heard back from them?

I interviewed there last week and got an acceptance. I asked a few other people from the visit and 3/5 got acceptances and the other 2 haven't heard anything yet.

Would it be appropriate to ask schools that I haven't heard from yet for an update? For jobs, it seems to be pretty standard when waiting to let the prospective employer know if you got an offer with another company. Would it be appropriate to do so with grad school? I'm starting to run out of weekends and need to start more carefully planning what schools I want to visit/interview at.

14 hours ago, lightcrx said:

Would it be appropriate to ask schools that I haven't heard from yet for an update? For jobs, it seems to be pretty standard when waiting to let the prospective employer know if you got an offer with another company. Would it be appropriate to do so with grad school? I'm starting to run out of weekends and need to start more carefully planning what schools I want to visit/interview at.

Yes, but you may not get an informative answer. The reason schools usually do not inform applicants of rejections is because they want to keep the "waitlist" open just in case. Sometimes, schools do not get as many matriculating students as they would have wished for, so they will start making calls to other applicants. One of my friends got accepted to a grad school literally days before the deadline to decide (April 15th). That being said, go ahead and email the schools, but in most cases, you'll get a generic response back about how they are still reviewing your application. 

On 2/17/2017 at 1:42 AM, lightcrx said:

By this point, you might already have a list of the places that are really worth visiting for you. If you have several invites already, you may want to just decline any future schools that don't rank high enough to be worth visiting. 

I have created a separate thread to post interview weekend dates here. Please post the interview dates that you know of. A lot of people (including me) haven't heard back from many of the programs they applied to. I think the data will be helpful for people to manage their expectations. :) 

On 2/20/2017 at 4:16 PM, LanMor said:

Anyone applied to UC Irvine or USC biomedical? Have they sent out admits already? 

I applied to UCI. Haven't heard anything. A friend also applied and emailed a professor. From her it sounded like they don't have a formal interview process.

I haven't been on this site in years but was just randomly browsing this thread, UMich already had the first interview session last week and is having the smaller, second one during the 2nd week of March. If you haven't heard anything from them yet, you are are most likely getting rejected. However, if you end up getting your own funding (e.g. NSF) after being rejected (from any school), I HIGHLY recommend you go back to those schools and see if they will change their mind. I've seen that work out multiple times here at UMich and assume it happens a lot at other schools as well. Also, if you were in personal talks with any profs up to this point, it doesn't hurt to check-in with them after all the admits make their decisions. If the prof didn't get their target students and has money and still really wants you, it isn't hard for them to get your rejection overturned...that happened with me a while back (you can probably find a past post of mine about it). 

Anyways, if anyone here gets accepted and is considering UMich and wants to know anything about the school/city, feel free to shoot me a message. I've been in the program for almost 5 years now. Good luck!

Hopkins acceptances will be somewhat staggered this year depending on fellowships/RAships. I know each RA professor is making their decisions separately, and they may contact the students themselves when they decide or the department may contact. Also, the fellowship acceptances from the first weekend and the second weekend may be sent out at different times. 

So, even if you see that other people have been accepted, that definitely doesn't mean you won't be! I believe we are offering more RAships this year than in the past, so that complicates the process a bit and may make things a little slower. 

1 hour ago, kangaroomr said:

anyone know if northwestern has upcoming interview days? or has anyone heard back? I got an email a month ago saying they started interviewing but my app was still under consideration

Same situation here.. If there is another interview day, they probably will let us know 2 weeks ahead. Now it's already 1st week of March, it seems the chance is getting slim. Really hope they still have space to take more students. 

1 hour ago, OhMyGa said:

Same situation here.. If there is another interview day, they probably will let us know 2 weeks ahead. Now it's already 1st week of March, it seems the chance is getting slim. Really hope they still have space to take more students. 

The struggles...You and me friend ;(

I'm expecting maybe an interview day last week of march so if I don't hear from them by the 13th then I'm giving up on them

Sorry to intrude like this.... Can you tell me what are my chances for get a funded PhD

College: WBUT (INDIA).
UG Branch: Instrumentation Engineering.
Field of Interest: Wound healing and movement of Cell related to Integrin factors, Early stage Oral Cancer detection, Impedance spectroscopy, Micro and Nano Electronical Devices & Sensors and Bio-Nanotechnology
Degree Goal (MS/Ph.D.): Biomedical/ Bioengg PhD 
GPA/Percentage (Do not Convert to US Scale): 7.9/10
Your rank in your class: Top 20.
GRE: 317 (158Q + 159V + AWA: 4.0)
IELTS: 8.0 (Reading - 8.5, Listening - 8.5, Writing - 7, Speaking - 7)
TOEFL: 104 (Reading - 24, Listening - 26, Writing - 27, Speaking - 27)
--------------------------------------------------
Internships
Indian Institute of Engineering Science & Technology, Shibpur. (Top 20 uni)
Working on exploiting the invitro wound healing of HaCat cells 
on Porous Silicon (PS) platform. 
Electronics And Telecommunication Department.

Indian Institute of Engineering Science & Technology, Shibpur. (Top 20 uni)
Working Early Stage Oral Cancer Cell (OSCC) Detection.
Centre for Healthcare Sciences and Technology (CHST). 

Seminars//Workshop
Presented a poster and a paper in the International Conference on Functional Nanomaterials (IC-FNM- 2016) held in IIEST, Shibpur.
Attended the conference Research Scholars Colloquium (RSC), held in IIEST, Shibpur.
Attended and Organized the International Conference on Challenges in Product Development of Medical Implants and devices (CPDM) held in IIEST, Shibpur.
Attended the International Workshop on Recent Challenges in Biomedical Engineering, held in IIEST,Shibpur.
Attended seminar on “Entrepreneurship Development Programme” – An AICTE sponsored workshop, held in RCCIIT. 

Projects: (If applicable)
1) Early Stage Oral Cancer Cell (OSCC) Detection.
2) Efficacy of Silicon Microchannel Cytosensor Platform for Electrical Profiling of Multiple Mammalian Cells Under Intervention Towards Diagnostic and Regenerative Applications.
3) Development of Bio-Sensor using Nano Structured Biogenic Silica based on Electronic Transduction of Refractive Index.
---------------------------------------------------------
Accepted Publications:
1) Co-author Journal Paper in IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, (Impact Factor- 1.8).
2) Poster in an International Conference (IC-FNM) ,IIEST Shibpur, Howrah India,
3) Co-author Materials Today journal-Proceedings (accepted). 
---------------------------------------------------------
Recommendations: 
1) Associate Professor, IIEST, Shibpur: Mentor for the project Strong (Top 20 uni)
2) Associate Professor, University of Calcutta Mod
3) Associate Professor, IIEST, Shibpur: Mentor for the project Strong (Top 20 uni)
Universities applied to: 
1. Uni of Minnesota TC
2. Uni of Miami. 
3. SUNY binghamton.
4. Uni of Pittsburgh
5. Virginia Tech
6. Drexel Uni.
7. RPI.
8. USF
9. Cornell 
10. University of Virginia.
11. Stony Brook University, New York.
12. Louisiana Tech University.
All unfunded admits so far from Louisiana Tech and SUNY binghamton and 1 reject from U of Minn and informal rejects from UVa and Upitt...... I know my GRE and Grades are moderate/ sub-par. But Is getting funding in US has now become an impossible job or my profile is that bad? Kindly help!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by THELOOSER

28 minutes ago, THELOOSER said:

But Is getting funding in US has now become an impossible job or my profile is that bad? Kindly help!!!!!!!!!!!

TBH up to the point where I read through your list of school applied to I thought you have a decent chance of getting funded by at least 1/3 of them. I would say your GRE score, while not great, should not impact you too much since you're an international student. The combination of your TOEFL and GRE verbal may raise a red flag. The thing is, you either graduated from a US school and have good grades in writing-intensive courses, or you aced TOEFL, or you aced GRE verbal, one must have at least one of the three. Did you submit TOEFL or IELTS to the admission? Bc your IELTS score is good.  For someone working in STEM field, adcom expect you to ace GRE quantitative section, so you didn't gain any bonus on that part, either. Neither did you separate your application from others with your GPA.

Your research experiences are solid and should be a bonus point for you. 

As far as rec letter goes, I'm not sure about India but US schools tend to put less weight on letters from a Chinese university because they have realized many professors let the students write whatever they want and sign it anyway. If your rec letter writers have connections to the school you applied to, that would be a big bonus point.

Do you have any teaching experience? That would help you get a TAship. Other than that, I would try to apply to some MS program and look for RAship or TAship if I were you.

Also don't give up hope on funding from Louisiana Tech and SUNY Binghamton! Some schools don't release funding info until later, like April or something.

Actually I could not finish my GRE Quants section and I aced my GRE verbal, but got 3 days to prepare for Toefl and so I did not score good marks. Sorry, I have no TAship experience, I have done my research this way just to get RAship, Do you think its possible? And what about Virginia Tech, do think I can get that? I saw in their website that their avg GRE is 310 and min toefl requirement is 100.This was given in the university website:

Screenshot_1.jpg

Edited by THELOOSER

16 hours ago, THELOOSER said:

All unfunded admits so far from Louisiana Tech and SUNY binghamton and 1 reject from U of Minn and informal rejects from UVa and Upitt...... I know my GRE and Grades are moderate/ sub-par. But Is getting funding in US has now become an impossible job or my profile is that bad? Kindly help!!!!!!!!!!!

Are these MS admits? I was under the impression that all international PhD admits have to be funded as a visa requirement.