Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering - Fall 2017 PhD Application Profiles

Neuronophil

On 3/17/2017 at 6:59 PM, LanMor said:

How many people have heard back from UC Irvine Biomedical? Are they done sending out admits?

I don't know anybody that's heard back from them. It's pretty frustrating and it would be nice to get some communication from them (e.g. you've been waitlisted) or something.

3 hours ago, lightcrx said:

I don't know anybody that's heard back from them. It's pretty frustrating and it would be nice to get some communication from them (e.g. you've been waitlisted) or something.

I was at their visitation day last Friday. They said that they have already sent offers as well. 

I need your thoughts to help alleviate my anxiety:

I have not heard back from either JHU or Duke (so not a rejection, interview, waitlist notice, or acceptance). Does this mean I am on some kind of informal waitlist? Or have they just not begun sending out rejections?

Anyone else in the same boat? 

Edited by DrugDelivery

1 hour ago, DrugDelivery said:

I have not heard back from either JHU or Duke (so not a rejection, interview, waitlist notice, or acceptance). Does this mean I am on some kind of informal waitlist? Or have they just not begun sending out rejections?

Same boat, different universities. I'm waiting for CWRU, UVa, UCLA, Penn and UMich. From the posts on this thread, I'm pretty sure Penn and UMich have sent out all acceptances but I haven't seen a lot of discussion or posts about CWRU, UVa or UCLA here.

21 hours ago, DrugDelivery said:

20 hours ago, knin said:

Same boat, different universities. I'm waiting for CWRU, UVa, UCLA, Penn and UMich. From the posts on this thread, I'm pretty sure Penn and UMich have sent out all acceptances but I haven't seen a lot of discussion or posts about CWRU, UVa or UCLA here.

It sucks, but in my personal experience (as well as others) from going through this process a handful of times at this point in the game if you haven't heard anything at all from a university it is probably 95% of the time a rejection. During my last application season (2012) I applied to UPenn and to this day I have never been told I was rejected haha. I believe UCLA might have been the same. Kinda sucks that universities are happy to take your application fee but can't be bothered to let you know you weren't accepted. 

So yeah, in short, don't hold out for the places you haven't heard a word from, assume rejection, and move on to your other options. Unless you have external funding like NSF, then go crazy telling all your applied to universities and I am sure they will have no problems changing their minds. 

17 minutes ago, ghanada said:

It sucks, but in my personal experience (as well as others) from going through this process a handful of times at this point in the game if you haven't heard anything at all from a university it is probably 95% of the time a rejection. During my last application season (2012) I applied to UPenn and to this day I have never been told I was rejected haha. I believe UCLA might have been the same. Kinda sucks that universities are happy to take your application fee but can't be bothered to let you know you weren't accepted. 

So yeah, in short, don't hold out for the places you haven't heard a word from, assume rejection, and move on to your other options. Unless you have external funding like NSF, then go crazy telling all your applied to universities and I am sure they will have no problems changing their minds. 

I agree with this. I think Duke, UCLA, JHU and BU have already sent out most of their invites (with funding) - unless maybe you are on a waiting list. 

At this point, you could always email or call the program and ask nicely if a decision has been made on your application (or when to expect), especially if you already have other offers and are waiting. 

58 minutes ago, double espresso said:

I agree with this. I think Duke, UCLA, JHU and BU have already sent out most of their invites (with funding) - unless maybe you are on a waiting list. 

At this point, you could always email or call the program and ask nicely if a decision has been made on your application (or when to expect), especially if you already have other offers and are waiting. 

1 hour ago, ghanada said:

Thank you guys for the info. Yeah, I am assuming rejection as I have not been interviewed. @ghanada, gosh that is disappointing that they didn't even send a rejection! 

In any case, I have contacted the program coordinators and have yet to hear a reply. I hope to hear the decision soon, even though it's probably a rejection. I did not get NSF, but still have hope for the other fellowships I  applied for.

23 hours ago, DrugDelivery said:

I think Duke might be having some problems. A few other people and myself received rejection emails last week. However some of us are also going to the interview weekend this week. I asked the PI who invited me what's going on, and he said he had no idea. 

22 hours ago, knin said:

CWRU hasn't made any decisions yet. I have a few friends who have been pretty much guaranteed a spot and from what I've heard, the professors and department are still sorting through paperwork and forms.

3 hours ago, lightcrx said:

I think Duke might be having some problems. A few other people and myself received rejection emails last week. However some of us are also going to the interview weekend this week. I asked the PI who invited me what's going on, and he said he had no idea. 

CWRU hasn't made any decisions yet. I have a few friends who have been pretty much guaranteed a spot and from what I've heard, the professors and department are still sorting through paperwork and forms.

This gives me stupid hope that probably won't change anything...I visited Feb 24th but got rejected last week. too.

1 hour ago, DrugDelivery said:

@lightcrx

Have you guys heard anything different or final from Duke?

I actually just received an email from the prof I interviewed with that I've been recommended for admission and that I should be receiving an official offer soon. Right now, my application portal still says I've been rejected though.

52 minutes ago, lightcrx said:

I actually just received an email from the prof I interviewed with that I've been recommended for admission and that I should be receiving an official offer soon. Right now, my application portal still says I've been rejected though.

Congratulations!! :) that is so exciting.

I unfortunately have not an interview or much contact with a professor, so I am 99% sure it'll be a rejection. However I think it is strange I have not received that email yet.. hopefully I get my answer soon!

Hello everyone

I have admission from Northwestern (biomedical engineering) for fall 2017 and now I should move to california, san fransisco because of my husband's work. Any idea that I can transfer to Stanford or Berkely? 

8 hours ago, jojopishi said:

Hello everyone

I have admission from Northwestern (biomedical engineering) for fall 2017 and now I should move to california, san fransisco because of my husband's work. Any idea that I can transfer to Stanford or Berkely? 

There generally aren't transfers for grad school, esp. PhD, so you'll most likely have to reapply for the next admissions cycle, eg fall 2018. If you don't have a Masters yet and are going for a PhD, finishing a Masters at Northwestern might count for some of the course requirements at Stanford or Berkeley, which might be the closest thing to transferring.

Edited by Edotdl

I still haven't heard back from two of the schools I interviewed at :( I emailed them and they said they were still undecided about my application. Hopefully I'll hear back this week since I want to make a decision soon.

Have any of you decided where you're going :)?

13 hours ago, PB&Banana said:

I still haven't heard back from two of the schools I interviewed at :( I emailed them and they said they were still undecided about my application. Hopefully I'll hear back this week since I want to make a decision soon.

Have any of you decided where you're going :)?

Nowhere since I got rejected everywhere :)

2 hours ago, ilmj said:

Is anyone still waiting for Case Western and UC Irvine? I still haven't heard back from them.

I haven't heard from Case Western either but I've given up on them. I have an admit for Chemical Engineering from Northeastern. I guess I'll be heading there.

On 2017/4/7 at 1:19 AM, knin said:

I haven't heard from Case Western either but I've given up on them. I have an admit for Chemical Engineering from Northeastern. I guess I'll be heading there.

My POI in Case contacted me on April 6th, we had an interview. But after two days, he told me that the department could not prepare me an offer in time because I need to respond to other schools by April 10th. So sad!!!

54 minutes ago, dbm3252 said:

Pretty sure they sent out all their offers.  Email Hong, she was super helpful.

I've emailed her a couple times throughout this process, and still no response :(

edit: soon after I posted this, she responded saying we will hear back on Thursday (I'm guessing with rejections)

Edited by DrugDelivery