Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering - Fall 2017 PhD Application Profiles

Neuronophil

Hi All, 

I'm new to this and will be applying for Fall 2018 and thought I'd post to see what you guys have to say about my chances at top-10 programs (ideally trying to land at Duke, Stanford, UCSF/Berkeley, UMich, or BU). I'm mainly worried that my UG GPA is going to hurt me. 

School - middle tier private for both UG and MS

Major - BIOE for UG and MS

Minor - n/a

GPA (major) - 3.55/4.0 (UG) 3.7/4.0 (MS)

GPA (overall) - 3.51/4.0 3.7/4.0 (MS)

Demographics/Background - White, 22

GRE scores:

Q: 164

V: 156

W: 5.0

LOR - 2 very strong letters, looking for a third very strong LOR but may have to settle for an okay one. 

Research Experience - 3.5 years

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations

2 first author and 2 second author publications all in journals w/ impact factor > 5. I've presented at 4 conferences in the US.

Awards/Honors/Recognition

I've been given over $25,000 of internal grant funding from 4 different successful grant applications. I've also spent a summer working for a large pharmaceutical company.

Research Interests

Microfluidic Large Scale Integration (mLSI), single cell proteomics and genomics, medical imaging. 

15 hours ago, mistrmeseeks said:

Hi All, 

I'm new to this and will be applying for Fall 2018 and thought I'd post to see what you guys have to say about my chances at top-10 programs (ideally trying to land at Duke, Stanford, UCSF/Berkeley, UMich, or BU). I'm mainly worried that my UG GPA is going to hurt me. 

School - middle tier private for both UG and MS

Major - BIOE for UG and MS

Minor - n/a

GPA (major) - 3.55/4.0 (UG) 3.7/4.0 (MS)

GPA (overall) - 3.51/4.0 3.7/4.0 (MS)

Demographics/Background - White, 22

GRE scores:

Q: 164

V: 156

W: 5.0

LOR - 2 very strong letters, looking for a third very strong LOR but may have to settle for an okay one. 

Research Experience - 3.5 years

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations

2 first author and 2 second author publications all in journals w/ impact factor > 5. I've presented at 4 conferences in the US.

Awards/Honors/Recognition

I've been given over $25,000 of internal grant funding from 4 different successful grant applications. I've also spent a summer working for a large pharmaceutical company.

Research Interests

Microfluidic Large Scale Integration (mLSI), single cell proteomics and genomics, medical imaging. 

I think you have a pretty good chance for all the mentioned schools. You have a very strong publication record. You GPA is not stellar but its not bad at all, especially your MS which is good enough IMO. Although I've come to realize that GRE doesn't matter much but just to cover all the bases, it wouldn't hurt to retake it for boosting up your V a notch.