Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering - Fall 2017 PhD Application Profiles

Neuronophil

I don't think I'll get one either :-( but I just had a mini heart-attack because I received an email from them asking if I want to move my application over to the MEng or MTM program if I don't get invited to the PhD program.

34 minutes ago, PB&Banana said:

I don't think I'll get one either :-( but I just had a mini heart-attack because I received an email from them asking if I want to move my application over to the MEng or MTM program if I don't get invited to the PhD program.

Is that a generic email? Or can it be interpreted as an email for applicants who are unlikely to receive an invitation?

I have applied to Northwestern and haven't contacted any professor.

Has anyone received rejection email from GaTech? I haven't received anything but I saw that a few people have received acceptances (congrats!!). Should I assume rejection?

19 minutes ago, PB&Banana said:

So I saw some people got interview invites from UCSD and JHU today. Anyone here get one? And what's your intended specialization?

I got an invite from JHU today. And my research area is Neuroengineering.

No news from UCSD yet...

Professors seem to do Skype interviews when interested in possibly bringing someone in for an in person interview.  I had a Skype interview with a professor from every school I have received a recruitment weekend invite from.  If the professor seemed interested in you at the conclusion of the interview, you will likely get an invite soon.

Because of my husband's job the only option for me is Northwestern Uni and I am really stressful about it. I am living in chicago. Do you think if I go and talk with professors in person can help me?

Edited by jojopishi

Have you reached out to them via email?  That is probably the best option.  When I contacted professors I sent a short email detailing my research interests and informing them that I applied/would apply to their program and attached my CV.  Doing the same for professors at Northwestern might get you some interest.

38 minutes ago, dbm3252 said:

Have you reached out to them via email?  That is probably the best option.  When I contacted professors I sent a short email detailing my research interests and informing them that I applied/would apply to their program and attached my CV.  Doing the same for professors at Northwestern might get you some interest.

I have sent emails to them. None of them replied. I am thinking of stopping by their offices and talking to them. Does this work? My husband is postdoc there and I am going there daily.  

1 hour ago, jojopishi said:

I have sent emails to them. None of them replied. I am thinking of stopping by their offices and talking to them. Does this work? My husband is postdoc there and I am going there daily.  

It certainly wouldn't hurt to do so. It would be helpful If you can figure out their office hours first. You can also go talk to the department, especially their graduate advisor and explain your situation. I think Bruce A. Lindvall is the guy who handles the admission process for McCormick.

53 minutes ago, Neuronophil said:

It certainly wouldn't hurt to do so. It would be helpful If you can figure out their office hours first. You can also go talk to the department, especially their graduate advisor and explain your situation. I think Bruce A. Lindvall is the guy who handles the admission process for McCormick.

Thank you for your answer. What should I say to graduate advisor?

46 minutes ago, jojopishi said:

Thank you for your answer. What should I say to graduate advisor?

Explain your situation and concerns.  After all, he is probably the best person to get advice from regarding the admission process in McCormick.

Good luck!

21 hours ago, PB&Banana said:

So I saw some people got interview invites from UCSD and JHU today. Anyone here get one? And what's your intended specialization?

19 hours ago, dbm3252 said:

I got an invite from JHU as well.  Already accepted at Carnegie Mellon.  Cell mechanics is my research area.

21 hours ago, Neuronophil said:

I got an invite from JHU today. And my research area is Neuroengineering.

No news from UCSD yet...

18 hours ago, abc0111 said:

I got a Skype interview invite from a potential POI at JHU. Does anyone know why it'd be on Skype instead of on-site, or the difference between the two in terms of logistics?

Hopkins did send out interview invites yesterday for all the focus areas within BME! If you didn't get one, it doesn't necessarily mean you won't (so don't panic yet).

As far as the Skype interview goes, I'd assume it's because they got your application and are interested in you. It's not the official interview since it's just with the POI, but it is a good sign. 

If you all have an questions, you're welcome to message me!

12 hours ago, Neuronophil said:

Explain your situation and concerns.  After all, he is probably the best person to get advice from regarding the admission process in McCormick.

Good luck!

Actually I talked to him once and explained my situation. He recommended to apply and wait. I am really stressful :(

2 hours ago, Extra Espresso said:

Hopkins did send out interview invites yesterday for all the focus areas within BME! If you didn't get one, it doesn't necessarily mean you won't (so don't panic yet).

As far as the Skype interview goes, I'd assume it's because they got your application and are interested in you. It's not the official interview since it's just with the POI, but it is a good sign. 

If you all have an questions, you're welcome to message me!

Thanks for the info.

I got the interview invite email without doing any Skype/phone interviews with POIs. Does this mean I will have a harder time in the interview weekend convincing POIs?

What percentage of interviewees are usually accepted?